The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
stumper1300

do you read the owners manual?

I had a guy call me the other day. He was all bent out of shape because he couldn't remove that steel rod that ruger had wedged into the reciever to hold the bolt open while in transit...........

I began laughing to myself and said " say what ".... he repeated himself.said he had been trying to remove it and gave up. Its just wedged in there to tight.

I explained how to release the bolt and when he tried it the bolt closed.

READ THE DANG OWNERS MANUAL. If your not familiar with your new gun.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

No decent American "he man" need read any manual. He is naturally endowed with the mental ability of John Moses Browning and can easily re-engineer a gun with the help of Tapco or fix any car because he owns a Craftsman screwdriver and wrench.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
MagnumWill

I did have to consult the manual once for a Marlin model 60 when you lock the bolt open. THAT's what that little arrow scribed there is for, hehe
Old January 19, 2013, 07:49 PM   #4
NWCP

Always.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Pahoo

ALWAYS !!!

During our Hunter Safety classes, one important "safety" point, is to always read the manual. More than once, I have recommended folks to contact the factory and they are always eager to provide manuals. Heck, there are even liability issues here. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 19, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6
carguychris

I'd wouldn't want to see someone try to take down and reassemble a Ruger Mk-series pistol without the manual!
Old January 19, 2013, 08:02 PM   #7
berettaprofessor

Always!
Old January 19, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8

That is a rhetorical question in my book. I read All manuals no matter what it is.

"Stupid is as stupid does"
-forrest gu..uump
Old January 19, 2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Spydr1299

Owners manuals...
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm
Old January 19, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
JWT

Reading instructions, instruction manuals, and asking for directions just is not in the genes of the male species. But, I generally do have to read the manual when it comes time to clean a new gun and put it back together again.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:23 PM   #11
SPEMack618

There is a mighty big difference in reading the manual before doing anything with gun than consulting the manual while in the process of attempting to reassemble, that would be like admitting to the Ladyfriend that, yes, yes I do need the GPS.

Read it once and toss it in the drawer with all the other ones. Just in case.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Billy the Kidder

Quote:
I'd wouldn't want to see someone try to take down and reassemble a Ruger Mk-series pistol without the manual!

Heck, it's no fun the first few times even after reading it. I had to watch the videos too.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Judging by many of the questions posted here most don't.
I'm sure many follow the old rule: "When all else fails, read the instructions."
Old January 20, 2013, 10:47 AM   #14
GreaseMonkey4Hire

I usually read the manual to increase the amount of anticipation felt when getting ready to handle a new member of the family for the first time. Place new member in lap, manual in hand, read a page, look at new member and drool, read another page, repeat.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Right after I get the gun dirty and I want to clean it. I kind of like not messing anything up.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #16
velillen

I flip through them quickly just to check. For new guns I'm not familiar with such as the ruger 10/22 I watched the official ruger takedown and reassembly videos. I'll watch a YouTube video or two as well if I'm not sure.

But yes I do at least browse the manuals.....usually on my throne to be honest.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:13 PM   #17
Puddle

I always do.

Funny though, I remember when I was reading through the owner's manual for my Saiga 12. It was a pretty bad translation from Russian to English. Lots of comedy in the form of bad grammar and misused words.

Still read it cover to cover twice before I broke it broke down the shotgun and cleaned it.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:49 PM   #18
olddav

Yes, I always read the manual if the gun comes with one (new). If purchased used I get on the web and find an on line copy or at least a exploded view. If I can't break it down I can't clean it properly.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:11 PM   #19
Niantician

I'm sure just about everybody can read an owners manual and learn something they didn't know about their firearm.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Prof Young

Read it!

I didn't have the owner's manual when I got my Beretta fs92. It scared the snot out of me the first time I slip the safety on with the hammer back and the hammer slammed down. Thought it was broken. Found manual on line. It's supposed to work that way and it's very safe.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 21, 2013, 02:39 AM   #21
wayneinFL

I hate to admit it, but I don't always read them. On the other hand, I do have a lot of the same type of gun. For example, ARs, S&W revolvers, Glocks, Remington 700s, Mossberg 500s.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:55 AM   #22
Ben Towe

If it's a weapon I know thoroughly (Ruger M77, 1911, AR, Blackhawk, Glock) then not necessarily. If I see something I'm unsure of then I will break out the manual in a heartbeat. Many manufacturers have downloadable PDF files of their manuals on their websites now. God bless smartphones.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:12 PM   #23
Patriot86

I don't for guns I know like the SIG P226, P229 etc. Know one of them know them all.

On a new gun I will usually give the manual a once over and see if I can find a "takedown" video or two online.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:42 PM   #24
Tom68

Okay, I'll go ahead and say it because nobody else has so far that I've seen:

Yes, I read it, but I dang sure hate it because I can't stand being bombarded for the first thirty pages with diagrams and warnings telling me not to be stupid or careless. And yes, I'm fully aware of the litigious nature of our society, and the trial lawyer's insatiable need for the next high profile lawsuit, especially the gun-hating types just itching for a big class-action suit designed to put a manufacturer out of business. It's an unfortunate period we're living in, folks, and it's only getting worse. Before long those warnings rollmarked on barrels will become neon-colored billboards, and owners manuals will start being printed in volumes.

Just my rant for the day (okay, there'll probably be more)

But, just for kicks I do like to occasionally glance at some manuals I have from the 80s that are about 5 pages long, one page of which is an exploded view schematic and no red font writing in the whole thing.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:57 PM   #25
bikerbill

I read everything that has a gun in it ... fired my XDs for the first time today, made sure to read the manual and learned that I was going to put oil where it doesn't belong ... read da book!!!