The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 16, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Willie D

Savage Accustock worth the money?

Now that they've been on the market for several years, what is the general concensus on the Accustock?

I've only handled the non-accustock synthetic Savages and they do feel a bit chintzy but the price savings over the Accustock models can be huge. I've seen rifle+scope packages on sale for $150-200 less than the comparable Accustock model w/o scope.

Are the Accustocks that much better in feel or accuracy-wise? Are there other options for improving on the standard stock? Good aftermarket stock options for standard profile stocks? (no tactical stuff)
Old December 16, 2012, 09:16 AM   #2
4runnerman

I've only handled the non-accustock synthetic Savages and they do feel a bit chintzy

Which Savage are you talking about? The Axis Series?> Yes i would agree with you,those stocks are not the best. But,don't let the feel fool you. I have a Axis in a 243 and that sun of a gun is a tack driver from the get go.
The only way i see it needed is if you are going to do long range target shooting. I have 2 brand new Stocks from the Savage Model FVSS Series just sitting around. I replaced them with Varmint Thumb hole stocks. I use both these ( 223 and 308 ) for long range shooting. I only replaced them for the estetic value. Neither rifle is any more or less accurate with the new stocks.
The Axis Series stock is not top of the line by far,but is moe than good enough unless you want to put a bi-pod on it. I did last year update my 308 to Dog Tracker Stock. I was using the 308 for FTR class,but decided i like F class more. Now the 308 is just for bench shooting and having fun.

I am a Die Hard Savage fan,but don't get suckered into the Hype ( IMHO ) on the Accustock.

Last edited by 4runnerman; December 16, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
tobnpr

If the non- AccuStock model saves significant $$, I would go with an aftermarket stock..

Choice depends on the depth of your wallet, and the durability and accuracy you're seeking.

You seem to think that most of these are "tactical", but they are not.
HS Precision, McMillan, Manners, Bell & Carlson and others offer quality stocks for every application.

Start here:
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old December 16, 2012, 11:57 AM   #4
4runnerman

Good choice tobnpr- That is where i got both of my Thumb Hole stocks from
Perfect fit all the time.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:26 PM   #5
taylorce1

Actually there are very few options for after market synthetic stocks for the 4.40" centerfeed short action Savage under $300. So if you are wanting a short action cartridge the Accustock might be your best option. If you are going to put a walnut/laminated wood stock on then I'll add Boyd's gunstocks to the list.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Rimfire5

The Accu-stock is a bit stiffer and seems to aid accuracy just a bit.

I have a early 10FP pre-accu-stock but with an accu-trigger.
My son has a 10FCP-K with the accu-stock and accu-trigger.

Both rifles shoot well, but I think the accu-stock gives a bit of an edge because of the stiffness of the stock and the bedding.

There was essentially no price difference between the two rifles when we bought them. The accu-stock is just a newer feature that I would have preferred.
Old December 16, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7
tobnpr

Quote:
Are there other options for improving on the standard stock?
OK....

Aside from fit and ergonomics, a rifle's stock must be able to retain the action so that it does not move under recoil, and that it is done so that the receiver is free from "stress" (uneven pressures, points of contact, etc.).

Stocks are available- like the AccuStock- with integral aluminum bedding blocks that are designed to provide the perfect "bed" for the receiver to lie in. Reviews on the AccuStock are mixed, neither of my Savages live in one.

In the absence of aluminum bedding blocks, rifles are accurized by bedding the receivers in epoxy, and installing pillars for the action screws so that there is consistent torque on the receiver and the stock is not compressed, nor is it affected by temperature and humidity if a wood stock. Modern laminate stocks (like Boyd's) have pretty much eliminated the effects of temp and moisture, but still need to be bedded and pillars installed for optimal results.

What is the intended use of the rifle? Minute of deer does not require the accuracy that 1000 yard shooting does....
Old December 16, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
big al hunter

There are stock stabilizing compounds/kits available that will stiffen the cheap plastic stocks. If you spend the money on an aftermarket synthetic stock you might as well get the accustock. If you are going to get a wood stock and bed the action it will likely be as accurate as you can make it.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:56 AM   #9
4runnerman

Actually there are very few options for after market synthetic stocks for the 4.40" centerfeed short action Savage under $300

This is true,but most are just a little over 300.00. If i remember right my stock's from Stocky's Stocks were around 350.00. There is a multitude of stocks out there for 4.40 action screws,you just have to google it. As Taylorce1 said,Most will be over 300.00.

If you are turning this into a target rifle I would suggest a much better stock,if this is just going to be a hunting rifle,I would just leave it alone and shoot. Even the low end Axis Series will shoot sub MOA very easy. The only complaint i have heard and the Axis is if you mount a Bi-Pod on them they flex to much.

Last edited by 4runnerman; December 17, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Picher

I have a Remington 700 BDL in an HS Precision Sendero stock with the bedding block, but it also has a thin bedding layer on top of the block to make perfect bedding contact. She shoots fantastic!!!
Old December 17, 2012, 08:37 PM   #11
GeauxTide

My Savage 16 Weather Warrior Left Hand has the Accustock and Trigger. The stock is full length pillar bedded. The Accutrigger is about 2 pounds, breaking crisply. My first 3 went .6 and my second three went into .6. It is the most accurate rifle, OOB, that I've ever owned. The list of 12 different rifles is 700s, 77s, 788s, WBY Mag, Interarms, and Browning. I'm going to have a hard time buying another brand from this point.

I can't articulate a greater recommendation. In the 70s, Savage was rated very low end. Today, their quality, selection, and cartridge offerings lead the pack. You do spend more for both, but you'll spend more setting up trigger and stock on others.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:30 PM   #12
reynolds357

I would get the accustock. I have a 116 weather warrior in a standard stock that the barrelled action ripped out of in less than 100 shots. I also have a non accustock lightweight .270 that I have spent hours on making the rifle shoot. A lot of epoxy and J.B. weld later and it is a shooter, but it was an absolute dog out of the box. The rest of my savages are in tactical or laminate stocks. They all shoot well. I just bought a predator master 6.5 X 284 today in an accustock.