The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 26, 2012, 06:16 AM   #26
pbrktrt

There are many reasons I prefer the Vanguard. One of the biggest is customer service. Who would you rather deal with, the Freedom Group or a family that truly cares about their product and the people that buy them?
Old June 26, 2012, 08:08 PM   #27
Joe Chicago

Pbrk, I have had mixed luck with Big Green's customer service. One one call I had a very knowledgeable, professional, and helpful woman who was also a NRA shooting instructor. On another call I had someone who obviously would have rather been somewhere else.

I have only dealt with Weatherby's customer service for a minor question: how best to clean off the strong glue they used to affix the marketing sticker to the barrel without harming the finish. The service rep was not sure so he finished the call, went back to speak with one of their armorers and called me back in 10 minutes.
Old June 26, 2012, 10:37 PM   #28
langenc

I didnt read all posts. For an additional $100 you can get a good trigger on a Tikka.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:18 AM   #29
cdbeagle

I have a pre Freedom group ADL in .270 with a great trigger - paid $30.00 for the trigger job. Have two S2's and the Vanguard model before the S2.

I would say it is a toss up between the ADL and the S2's except for customer service. That goes to Weatherby hands down.

If I had the choice between current Remington production and Weatherby it would be Weatherby, I wouldn't even consider the Remington.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:42 PM   #30
jmr40

There are featues I like about both. It comes down to weight. Do you want the lightest mass produced action, (Rem 700), or the heaviest, (Howa/Vanguard). And a lot of that depends on caliber choice. If you are looking at a heavy kicking gun the Vanguard might be a good idea. If you are carrying your gun a lot in mountains the 700 will look a lot better at the end of the day.

I've had both, both seem about equal in acuracy. Neither is my prefered choice, but since weight is a concern important to me I'd choose the Remington.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:12 PM   #31
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I always go with American Made !
Old November 6, 2012, 10:53 PM   #32
ripnbst

So that's Remington. I just bought an ADL in .308 Sunday. For $379 it was a no brainer.
Old November 7, 2012, 03:16 PM   #33
hooligan1

The Japanese make very nice quality firearms. I own the Weatherby Vanguard, and so far I'm very pleased with this rifle, I also own two Savage rifles that are fantastic too.
Bottom line here is quality, and it doesn't matter to me where it comes from.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:58 PM   #34
shurshot

OneOldSap; You took the words right out of my mouth!!!! Buy a Remington, baby, REMINGTON.
MSNBC should be sued for 1 sided, malicious & shoddy reporting.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:28 PM   #35
ripnbst

I'd like to add that the trigger on my ADL is not the X-mark to my dismay and the trigger pull on it is HEAVY. Bought a Timney and am expecting it to arrive tommorow. Paid about $115 shipped for the trigger. Picked up a Zeiss Conquest in 3-9 on sale for $369, it arrived today. I am expecting to have a stalking rifle to keep a lifetime out of this.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:26 PM   #36
dgludwig

Quote:
If you get a Vanguard, make sure to get the series 2 and not left over series 1.
The op's decision might should depend on the price difference between the two. I paid my lgs $299.99 for a nib, "left-over", series 1, chambered in .257 Weatherby, several months ago and I have been very pleased with it. Not only is it accurate but, contrary to what a few shooters report experiencing, the trigger pull on mine is excellent. Maybe I just got lucky. As some have noted, the Howa action rifle is a mite heavier than the Remington Model 700.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:17 PM   #37
02bigdogs17

If you can find an older 700 they are hard to beat. Got a Vangaurd 2 and I love it. One of the best rifles I have ever shot. Don't like the newer 700's.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:20 PM   #38
Sgt Pepper

I grew up shooting a mid-60's Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. In 1997, I acquired another 700 in .243. Both guns have hit and instantly killed everything to which I have aimed and pulled the trigger at varying distances. I recently acquired a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .223 Rem for my kids. It came with an guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy at 100 yards, and by god, it delivers. The finish is cheap compared to my Remingtons, but I am seriously tempted to buy another one in a caliber that I want or don't have, it is that good. My son, who is 11, went with me on his first hunt a week ago, slayed 3 hogs and a deer with the Weatherby. I am starting to think that the Series 2 is the best bargain out there. To answer your question, it is take your pick.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:14 PM   #39
Joe Chicago

Sgt Pepper, congratulations to your son! I bet he is hooked on hunting after a successful outing like that.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:04 PM   #40
whitearrow

i too am a new convert to the wby vanguard s2 from a newer m700 that didnt even start to live up to the accuracy standard that its been revered for. i haven't shot my new .308 s2 rc as i'm anxiously waiting my warne mount for it but i'll let y'all know if it lives up to the sub-moa designation. if your son is gonna be capping deer and hawgs you might wanna step up to at lease a 7mm/08 or imho the .308 win. if my 8 yr old can handle the .308 win your 11 yr old should be able to. my lil boy killed his first deer,a 120 lb cull broken horned long beamed spike, last saturday. man, i wish i could post pics as i was one proud papa for that one. had to warpaint him up since this was his first deer. man, i wanna burn that feeling into the hard drive real good. thats the stuff that gets you thru the hard times.
good luck with the wby,