The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
chexmix

Reloading with out ordering online.

I wanna reload .40, 9mm, .556/223 and a little 3006. The wife and I don't have a credit card(good credit, just just don't want one), can I still save money by getting stuff from LGS's or is it just a waste? or am I just gonna have to finally break down and start buying stuff online?
Old May 1, 2012, 01:29 AM   #2
dmazur

I am not aware of any LGS that matches on-line pricing in my area.

In addition to having high prices, my LGS's all suffer from limited selection.

I got into reloading to accomplish two things -

1. Make ammunition that fits my needs
2. Do it for less cost/round than factory ammo (if direct equivalent to 1. above exists.)

With limited component choices and higher costs, my LGS's just were not compatible with my goals.

This does not mean you can't get into reloading without buying from online merchants. You may have to use what is available in your area and pay higher prices.

Checking for secure protocols like https: when using a shopping cart online, use of anti-phishing measures such as are used by Verified by Visa, running anti-virus / anti-malware software, having proper firewall settings, running behind a router with NAT, not storing personal financial information on your computer, and not opening email from unknown sources make shopping online reasonably safe. My understanding is that some investment in understanding and countering online security issues is necessary. If you don't want to make that investment, avoiding online purchasing is the safe alternative.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:24 AM   #3
wingman

I find it almost impossible to fill my reloading needs without ordering,local outlets seldom stock what I require plus prices are much higher normally I wait until I can bulk order due to shipping fees.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:25 AM   #4
dab102999

I persay don't have a credit card either, but I do have a bank checking card that I use as one. I would think you wouldn't have a problem getting one of those. And then it is just like writing a check. Another option that might work is call the place direct, see if they will let you place an order and then mail them a money order or such. And they can ship once they get the money. This is the way I do business with everyone on ebay and those type places. Plus talking live gives you the "feel" for the transaction you are about to place. I personally don't like paypal so i don't use it. Not because I don't trust it but it has charged me a couple times and not had tranaction go thru so I stopped useing it. If the place I want to deal with won't do it any other way then pay pal I thank them for there time and move on.

On a side note you aren't to far from Cabela's correct???. From what I have seen they usually are pretty competitive on prices also.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:58 AM   #5
jwrowland77

Don't need a credit card, just use your bank debit card. Works just the same.

Cabelas has great comparative prices. I don't mind paying the little extra to get the reward points I can use later down the road for free components.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:12 AM   #6
SL1

DON'T use a Debit Card on-line!

If SECURITY is your issue, then you sure DO NOT want to use a bank debit card on-line.

If somebody steals your debit card info, they can clean-out your bank account for that card PLUS any accounts that the bank has "attached" to that card -- AND YOU HAVE NO PROTECTION from the bank or card issuer. The money is just GONE.

On the other hand, if you have a CREDIT card number stollen, and you report that there are improper charges on your card as soon as you are aware of them, then all you lose is $50, with the bank covering the rest. And some banks even cover the $50. Plus, the card issuers are watching the credit card charges for suspicious transactions and may actually block them until they contact you by telephone to make sure that they are legitimate charges. (That way, they limit their own liability to cover whatever goes beyond the $50.)

Sorry to deflect the thread, but I think that some of the advice is going in the exact opposite direction to the OP's interests.

SL1

Last edited by SL1; May 2, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:17 AM   #7
pspc271

Easy Answer, Go to walmart, target, any local retailer and buy a Visa prepaid gift card. Not a store gift card, make sure you get a Visa gift card which can be used anywhere including on-line. Then shop til its all spent. They may charge you a service fee, usually $2, when you buy the card or refill it but its a small price to pay for the security of not having any personal account info on the web.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:27 AM   #8
reloader28

With powder and primers you have to pay Hazmat. That always puts the price back up and I dont save any money around here by ordering.

Cabelas is a no go for us. I have as much supplies in my reloading room as the Billings store has, and everyone and I mean everyone beats them on their prices. We go in and wander around looking at stuff, then go somewhere else and get what we need.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Hoosier_Daddy

Just reread your initial post. I doubt that you will save any money buying from any local gun shop for most reloading items.

I apolgize for my original post.

Go Buckeys!

Last edited by Hoosier_Daddy; May 1, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Mis read the original posters question and have changed my answer.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:36 AM   #10
chexmix

We don't have cards (bank or credit) because we both wanna spent to much if we don't have cash. It make somethings a little difficult but its better than being in debt, all we have is the mortgage and our cars.

I'm gonna try the prepaid card. thanks guys
Old May 1, 2012, 12:38 PM   #11
moxie

No, you need to be online to save money. Period. And that applies to so many other areas where you not only get a lower purchase price, but often avoid sales tax as well. Credit card is far safer than a debit card. Get one and resolve to pay it off in full every month.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old May 1, 2012, 12:38 PM   #12
mikld

Check the big box stores in your area. Some carry reloading supplies and they're less expensive than gun shops. The only place in my small town that has some components is a Bi-Mart, as none of the sporting good stores (3) carry any, and the closest real gun shop is nearly 2 1/2 hrs. away. Check to see if any of the online suppliers have "electronic check processing" (you simply give the routing number and account number and the funds can be transferred easily). Mebbe you can order on line and pay with check or money order via snail mail. Another method is go back to the methods used before credit/debit card ordering online; mail order...

Last edited by mikld; May 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:21 PM   #13
Lemmon

pay with a check

I believe Midway USA does take checks for orders. I willing to bet others will also. May not get instant gratification but you will get your product ordered. I used Midway as an example. I have been using them since they sent out yellow postcards back in the beginning and have been pleased and feel secure in ordering from them. Others have very good reputations also.

Lemmon
Old May 1, 2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Kevin Rohrer

I see no easy alternative to buying hardware online. Bullets and brass can be bought at gunshots. Powder and primers can be bought just as cheap and easy locally. You just have to look and be prepared to buy in-bulk when a bargain appears.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 1, 2012, 04:29 PM   #15
sserdlihc

You will save by buying online. If you plan on shooting alot, buying in bulk will be a huge savings. If you just shoot occasionally, you won't save any money.
Old May 1, 2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Old 454

Check out Kempfs gun shop in Michigan City Ind. they have reloading equipment at decent prices if you like Lee reloading equipment.

www.kempfgunshop.com

there kinda close to you to
Old May 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #17
zippy13

Can you us a service like PayPal without a credit card?
Old May 1, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Hoosier_Daddy

Well I have used PayPal for over 10 years probably 12 years. Of the 5 or 6 items I payed for with PayPal my purchases went through with no issues using my checking acount as the paying source.
I did sell one item with PayPal and I have no idea if it was from a checking account or a CC or a Debit card, or anyother sourec, the funds were deposited into my checking account and I then shipped the item, no problem.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:05 PM   #19
m&p45acp10+1

I have in my two years of reloading ordered only a few items online. All of them were ordered with a prepaid Visa card. I buy the burn cards. I do not worry about anyone getting my personal info that way.

I have a Cabella's store that is about 80 miles away so if I drive down there I stock up on a lot of stuff at a time. I do buy stuff from the local gun store. The thing is it is like going to the 7-11 for a gallon of milk. You are gonna be paying more for the conveniece.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:01 PM   #20
stu925

Local gun shows may get you better deals than buying from the local gun shop, price probably still won't be as good as on-line but at least you'll have access to what you need. I buy all powder and primers at gun shows since no one locally carries the stuff and I'm not ok with the HazMat fee I get charged if I have to order it. The only thing I buy on-line is bullets.

Stu
Old May 1, 2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Hammerhead

I use money orders sometimes with Midway and Berry's. IIRC MidSouth will take them too. Berry's is great because orders over $50 include shipping making it easy to calculate.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:14 PM   #22
dacaur

I dont buy online either. Sportsmans warehouse and cabellas is where I get everything. I wouldn't think about buying reloading stuff from the LGS's around here. IF they have what I want, its 20-50% more than at cabellas or sportsmans. I realise they cant be competitive with online prices, but I dont think its too much to ask for them to at least attempt to me competitive with other local stores, then maybe all their reloading supplies wouldn't be covered in dust .

I dont shoot a whole lot, but I still save a ton of money reloading, even buying stuff locally. About the only way you wouldnt is shooting .223 exclusivly, or 9mm using jacketed bullets.

Anyway, I am always happy to pay 10-15% more to get stuff locally to support my local economy rather than wherever the online shop is located....

I've seen what happens when people buy EVERYTHING online.... Just look for a local R/C hobby shop.....
Old May 1, 2012, 09:33 PM   #23
Stick895

I have a bit of experience in online security and identity theft. DO NOT USE A DEBIT OR CHECK CARD ONLINE. Basically if you use those and they get hacked they can empty your bank account. Use a credit card with a hard (not automatically increased) credit limit. Not only do you protect yourself from having your bank account emptied you also limit the damage they can do to your credit. Plus by taking these actions you demonstrate you've taken active measures to limit the damage to the financial institution.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:03 PM   #24
hammered54

chexmix, you don't live that far from me and I do very little shopping online.
there are a few places around that you can supply yourself.
Shooters service in Livionia has a ton of stuff and the pricing is par with online.
it may be a 25 min ride but you'll make that up by saving shipping, hazmat.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:44 PM   #25
TXGunNut

I patronize the LGS and Cabelas all I can. Cabelas will ship to your nearest store free. Internet retailers and big box stores put most the mom & pop stores out of business. If one is available nearby they're probably worth the drive and a valuable source of info. We need to support these survivors, IMHO. I like Cabelas but getting good reloading advice there is a crapshoot at best.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.