The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2010, 06:51 PM   #1
snuffy

Some lead-some heat-a mold-priceless!

I love it when a plan works out!

Ruger 44 mag. SBH, 10.5", distance 50 ft., boolit lee C430-310-RF GC, Blu dot @11.7 grains. Winchester brass, WWLRP, lee dies with a Redding profile crimper. Lyman claims this load should push their 300 grainer @ 895. Can't wait for summer to run it over the chrono.

These were "dipped" in LLA (Lee Liquid Alox), up to just below the lowest crimp grove, then set on wax paper to dry. I slugged the chamber throats, and the BBL. both were right at .431. The boolits drop at .4325, so I needed a .431 sizer. Gas checked with Hornady checks.

I didn't have a Lyman in .431, but did have a lee @ .429. So I rigged a hardwood dowel with a slot cut in it, wrapped with emery paper. Running this with a drill to lap out .002. It's called "medium grit, it looks like 320 grit. A trial and error with scrap boolits got me right @ .431.

The dipping method is slow as watching grass grow, but it results in the narrow lube groove being filled as well as the area right in front of the gas check. LLA is just as it comes from the bottle, leaving a thick coating in one pass.

Load development started at 10.5 grains with the best being the max 11.7. Some will say these are frosted, well so be it! They are also well filled out and consistent in weight. Alloy is range lead with about 1.5% tin added, haven't checked the BHN yet. Temp of the alloy was 695. Mold shot with laser temp gauge from HF was 380ish.

I'm lovin it, just cast a big batch with the same pot-o-lead, now to get them lubed. Should take about a 2 hour movie in front of the boob-tube tonight.

Oh, the target was used for .22 league practice, they're free, and if ya can't tell where ya hit with a 44, what cha doin shootin?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 19, 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Sevens

I am impressed. 50 feet? Great shooting, great bullets, great gun.
Old December 19, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3
snuffy

Thanks, sevens that was from a rest seated. Purely testing loads, not testing my off-hand shooting ability. I'm going to try to get through the heavy snow from last sunday to the outdoor 50 yd range. That will be the real test to see if the velocity is high enough to completely stabilize that heavy-for-caliber-boolit. We'll see if the Saturn all wheel drive can handle a foot of snow with higher drifts!

I just about emptied a 20 pound pot casting some more of those friday night. Now to get them lubed and sized, sounds like something to do while watching the packers loose!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 19, 2010, 12:21 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

Sweet... not the pack losin...the bullets and shooting
Old December 20, 2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

I LOVE that boolit, but I can't get the darn POI to come down any lower with magnum loads. It hits 4-6" high in my 7.5" bbl SBH.
Old December 20, 2010, 03:07 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I shoot this boolit in 452 out of my 454 casull. It's a thumper. Accurate too! Nice shootin' Snuffy!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 21, 2010, 12:35 AM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
These were "dipped" in LLA (Lee Liquid Alox),
If you want a tumble lube that dries in less than an hour without any tackiness, get some Johnsons Paste Wax in the can. Melt some into a cup, mix in about 25% mineral spirits to thin it out, use as tumble lube. Much easier on your sizing/seating dies too.

It tends to solidify once cooled off, so it needs to be melted again, just run the container under hot water for a couple minutes.