The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
terrym

american eagle

I just upgrade from a 40 sigma an bought a new glock 20 and was having trouble finding ammo. finally found some american eagle 10mm auto target 180gr lead bullet . Got two boxes of 50 for 38.50. just trying to find info on the ammo and how it will affect the gun with no jacket. Thank you in advance for any info
Terry
Old March 20, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Glock advises against the use of lead bullet (unjacketed) ammo in their pistols.

The American Eagle is a pretty light load so you're probably ok as long as you don't make a practice of shooting it. Also make sure that you get the barrel completely free of lead after each shooting sesson and BEFORE you shoot any jacketed rounds through it.

Some folks will tell you that a jacketed round will clear the leading out of a barrel but do NOT try that trick with a semi-auto pistol, especially not a Glock.
Old March 20, 2010, 08:39 PM   #3
terrym

JohnKSa
Thank you for the info. I think ill just keep that ammo in the box and order some fmj of the internet.
Terry
Old March 20, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4
vladan

Terry, congrats on your 10mm Auto. Glock 20 was my first 10mm and I just love that round. However it is not mainstream cartridge and factory ammo is rather expensive. Best is to reload, 10mm uses the same bullets the .40s&w does and is actually easier and safer to reload than .40 My reloads cost me around 14-20 cents a pop, depending on bullet I use
Now, the glock factory barrels are polygonal and lead bullets will lead this type of barrel faster than conventional barrel and that might result in increased pressure. If you want to shoot lead, I would recommend to get after market barrel... my is lone wolf ( i think i bought it for 99.00 ) and is stainless, drop-in, very accurate and have noticeably more chamber support than factory barrel.