The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 1, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Midway Usa

Friday I received in the mail a really great flyer from midway with great sales pricing.
This flyer was huge, 30 pages with great prices on bullets and primers and was dated March 2009.
I broke out my plastic and started making a call.
Remington bullets at $50 for 1000 for 9mm
Primers, one whole page of primers CCI, Federal, Magtech, Rem, Win and Wolf at really good prices.
I got hold of a really nice lady and started calling off part numbers.
After calling out 4 different 9mm bullets numbers, 3 different 45 bullet numbers, and 7 different primer numbers and in each and every case this nice lady said "Don’t have any"
I asked her,,, "Ok you tell me what primers you do have and I will take them?"
"I'm sorry sir, we don’t have any and don’t know when well will have any more. But we do have a really great price on an umptysquat electronic calipers!"

MIDWAY USA, if this is the way you do advertising, you need to fire your liberal advertising manager and get some one with some honesty in advertising.
Oh by the way, of the list of Rem bullets they did have 32 cal.:barf:
Old March 1, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I know exactly how frustrating that sort of thing can be.

I'm not really coming to Midway's defense here, but I will say this based on my knowledge of sales, marketing, advertising, and production in light of the situation we are currently in.

It's very possible that that flier was compiled and printed several months ago and has only recently been mailed. Major companies like this don't just come up with a list of sales items and prices a few weeks before the sale, slam it into print, and get it out to the customer. It's an involved process.

It's also pretty evident that the current run on components and ammunition has caught the entire industry flat footed. In talking to a few vendors at the most recent gunshow they all seem to be a bit bewildered that this has gone on for as long as it has based strictly on the possibility that something might happen with the new President.

Most of the vendors really expected things to peter out in December/early January, at the end of hunting season. If anything, it's gotten a LOT worse. My recent trip to the gunshow two weekends ago certainly supports that. I've not seen crowds, or sales, like that since 1994.

Ultimately, what Midway probably should have done, though, is moved to have the entire flier killed, or moved back. When the situation got better, they could have printed an overlay label saying "DATES IN THIS CATALOG NOW EFFECTIVE XX THROUGH XX."

Not the best solution, but far better than cheezing off LOTS of people who are going to pick up that catalog and run to the phone to order non-existent components.

Killing a mailing is the easiest thing to do in a situation like this as long as you get hold of the mail house at least 48 hours before it's scheduled to drop.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:20 PM   #3
buymore

well, in their defense also....what if some people got it the day or two before you did? If those prices are that good, you may have just missed the boat. I've gotten my fliers just one day past the dates it was printed to deliver them by and I missed several good deals. All and all, they are a very well respected company. They also do vey well sponsoring our 4-H youth Shooting Program. Larry and Brenda Potterfield donated a Caldwell Shootin' Gallery to our 4H group along with (2) dozen shooting glasses. I know you may be very disappointed, but they do there best and sometimes they just don't have enough to give everyone the good deal. I'm sure they had what they thought was plenty, but the run on ammo and reloading components is almost impossible to fathom. I have a CMP order for some ammo and a few small things. The normal order turnaround used to be 3-4 weeks, it's now over 100 days! All started the day after the election! Thanks Barack Obama!
Old March 1, 2009, 01:29 PM   #4
outdoorman63

most sale items are decided a month or so in advance and sent to the printers, in todays market there isnt much chance of stuff staying on the shelves long enough to reach a sale date...cabelas has had a couple things i have wanted in there last 2 sale catalogs..i still have a rain check from the first time a month ago, they say they have a backorder list of several months...its just a sign of the times...
Old March 1, 2009, 01:45 PM   #5
skydiver3346

Midway USA followup:

I agree with Ozzieman. I called them regarding the same flyer and they did not have three of the four items requested. Wow, business must be good for Larry. But I admit, most of the time I usually get what I order.
Old March 1, 2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Wow, business must be good for Larry."

Business is good for everyone right now, almost to the point of it being far too much of a good thing.

People are panic buying, and it's driving supplies down and prices way up.

I was to the gunshow in Northern Virginia a couple of weekends ago. It was a complete and total madhouse. I bought a handgun at one vendor who said that they were selling one gun roughly ever 5 to 10 minutes and had been for the better part of two days.

The ammunition was absolutely FLYING out of the show.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Ozzieman

OK maybe I am a little hard on them, I have been purchasing from Midway for a number of years and there service has always been top notch.
Shipping quickly and accurately what I have ordered.
But the point to my complaint was that the flyer had an entire page of primers, it arrived at my house on Friday and that same night they had no primers of any type or manufacture for sale, none at all.
It had a large selection of bullets, and there was nothing available other than 32.
I am sorry if my frustration with the manufacturing industry (who is really to blame for the lack of components) ran over to being unhappy with Midway.
I will continue to purchase components from Midway, but I will no longer get excited at there flyers.
Mike, I work part time (weekends) at a large gun shop, our shop is selling on average more guns a week than we used to sell in a month. This has been going on since before the election and has continued to this day.
Right now if we had 100 XD’s we could sell them all in a week.
That is how crazy it has become.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
DiscoRacing

I too,,, order from midway quite often.. i know they are out of a large portion of items for reloading.... but then again so is everywhere else round here that I normally shop... guess thats the whole reloading world at this point in time... or so it seems.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:15 PM   #9
fastforty

I get advanced notice of their fliers by email, maybe 2-3 days ahead of time. Might be worth it to go to their site & sign up for them. When ordering online, the item that you are looking at will have a "quantity available" box in the listing.

Funny, Walmart & all of the "cheap" online ammo dealers are sold out of everything & it doesn't look like they will ever restock. The shops around here that sell at & above "retail" have plenty of stock. You can get it, you just have to pay. Cheap ammo & reloading supplies may be a thing of the past.
One Big Arse Mistake America

Last edited by fastforty; March 1, 2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 2, 2009, 11:39 AM   #10
GoldenRoyBoy

I like Midway

I just left their site after hitting the send button; placing an order for over $700. More than half was back-ordered.

Yes, I've waited going on two months for some items. I figure if I want them, at least I'd better place an order. Maybe in two more months, I'll get them. In times like these, I find it's best to have my name already in the bucket; knowing those orders pending will be filled first.

Good luck,
GRB
Old March 2, 2009, 11:43 AM   #11
DiscoRacing

GRB
Quote:
I find it's best to have my name already in the bucket; knowing those orders pending will be filled first.
dont be too sure about that... i know first hand that people who live only miles from me have had items on backorder a month... i have called in an order... gotten my ordered items before they did when they already had the exact same thing ordered a month prior to my own order... They then cancelled their first order..which was BO.. and placed a new order which then showed not backorderd. just FYI
Old March 2, 2009, 11:18 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Quote:
People are panic buying, and it's driving supplies down and prices way up.
And same dealers are causing the panic IMHO

WildandthatsucksAlaska TM
Old March 3, 2009, 06:46 AM   #13
GoldenRoyBoy

Here's a thought for you ---

Mexico's having a revolutionary war; worse than many here in the Good Old U S of A believe. Guess where many of the War Lord gangs get their bang?

GRB
Old March 10, 2009, 11:41 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
And same dealers are causing the panic IMHO
I agree.

Around here, the only dealers having serious problems keeping anything in stock.... are the dealers blasting the air waves with commercials that make me sick.

"Hurry on down to ***** gun emporium! Your guns will be banned soon. Get them before they're gone, and don't forget to stockpile your ammo!"

"We've got over 300 assault rifles in stock. Buy 3 before Obama bans them all! Bury 2, and shoot 1. You won't regret it!"

Most of the people buying from those shops have never owned a firearm before, or never owned anything more than a cheap .22 rifle.

But, I look forward to the abundance of cheap ARs, SKSs, and AKs that will be dumped onto the market in the next 12 months; after the fools realise they shouldn't have made that $1400+ panic buy.