The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 21, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1
gobm667

can i services for a gun

hey im an ohioian and i trade tattoo work for firearms. i make sure that they are over 21 and there also from ohio and i also make the fill out a paper saying the gun is not stolen and they legally own the gun. that make me safe?
Old January 22, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
NavyLT

I would think so. What are you doing with the firearms, though? If you are selling them, then I would think you are definitely in the business of dealing in firearms, which requires a license. If you are obtaining the firearms for addition to your private collection for your own use, then it is no different than any other private FTF sale.

Firearms obtained in a private FTF sale must be only from residents of the same state, though. If you have any customers not a resident of Ohio doing the firearms trading, then you are violating Federal law.

Why the 21 age requirement? Is that a requirement for the tattoo work? It is not illegal to receive/buy a firearm, even a handgun, from someone 18 to 20 years old. In Ohio, however, it is next to impossible for an 18 to 20 year old to obtain the handgun legally, but not against Ohio law for them to sell or give away a handgun to someone 21 or over.
Old January 22, 2009, 01:56 PM   #3
gobm667

thanks

i trade the guns in and get better guns for my private collection. if the gun what i want i keep it and dont trade it in. i trade in like 4 or 5 to get something nice.. they 21 rule i just didnt know the law and felt 21 was safe. i dont want no trouble.
Old January 22, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
NavyLT

I would say you are OK then, like I said, as long as they are Ohio residents.
Old January 22, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
blume357

I'd keep really good records and even a note as to what and

where the tato you traded the gun for went... I have a feeling one day the law is going to come calling, not for you, but to try and track a gun down...heck, you'll even be helping them out by giving them an even better I.D. of the person who you 'bought' the gun from.
Old January 22, 2009, 06:33 PM   #6
gobm667

i do

i do i have them fill out consent of tattoo saying all the normal bs about if you dont heal it right its not my falut blah blah blah. but i write down the sereal no. of the gun on that. that has all the tattoo info on there..
Old January 23, 2009, 04:40 PM   #7
TEDDY

navy go back to sea,the federal law,bans under 21 but on a FTF,the fed does not apply.but he is right its safer to stick to 21.
Old January 25, 2009, 02:28 PM   #8
NavyLT

Quote:
navy go back to sea,the federal law,bans under 21 but on a FTF,the fed does not apply.but he is right its safer to stick to 21
WTH? Yeah, of course, you are correct, we should avoid perfectly legal behavior and practices because it is safer. Never turn right on a red light, because that cop may not see you come to a complete stop and may give you a ticket.

If it's LEGAL, then it's LEGAL, if it ain't, then it ain't. You are correct that Federal law does not apply to FTF intrastate firearms transactions. And Federal law only bans the PURCHASE of HANDGUNS from LICENSED dealers by <21 year olds so how could that possibly apply to the transfer of a firearm by someone 18 to 20 years old TO another party.

The 18 to 20 year old would not even be the transferee, they would be the transferor. You might have to look up those words in a dictionary, if you don't understand them. We have dictionaries at sea.
Old January 25, 2009, 06:17 PM   #9
alloy

having been offered trade, it doesnt feel right. pay the bill, thank you very much. from across the room(internet) it sounds like a commercial venture and/or transaction ignoring some laws of background checks and licensed firearm transfers that i most likely dont even understand well enough to skirt. laws that might apply again if you ever decide to sell company assets that were taken in...in trade. you gonna depreciate it yearly as security equipment? even pawnshops need a license...no thanks.
edit: and dont the gazillion regulations concerning the legit medical aspects of piercing, tattooing, and waste etc make it so that there is no such thing as off the clock work?

Last edited by alloy; January 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:25 AM   #10
gobm667

ok

ok thanks my questions answered you can close thread thanks again
Closed Thread