The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2007, 11:36 AM   #1
jack robson

Flash Hole Size Question

Recently started handloading pistol ammo. When cleaning primer pockets noticed some of flash holes were twice the size of what I consider average. Ammo is once fired Winchester white box 45 acp. Are these safe to reload or should I dispose of them? Large holes measure .131 regular holes measure .077. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old June 17, 2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Jim Watson

What you are seeing is first generation Winchester Winclean factory loaded with lead-free primers. The large hole vents the higher pressure flash from the leadless diazol primer mix. Winchester has said they were safe for reloading with standard data. I do not sort them out of my bulk brass for IDPA, although I would if I shot NRA slowfire, just in case.

(You will likely one of these days turn up some .45 ACP brass with small primers and an NT headstamp. That is the current generation of Non Toxic ammunition with lead-free primers. Winchester says not to reload these, but it can be done if you want to go the trouble.)
Old June 17, 2007, 12:05 PM   #3
jack robson

Thank you very much. You have helped alot. I have done extensive reading and have never run across this explanation. Am actually handloading as we speak very good to hear this because it was about half of my supply of brass.
Old June 17, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4
FM12

Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here, and will learn loads!(Pun intended!!)
Old June 19, 2007, 07:57 PM   #5
jack robson

Thank you for your information and welcome, another question. Is it safe to shoot nylon 66 with ring bulge 6" ahead of the chamber or does it need a new barrel.