The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 31, 2005, 04:37 AM   #1
zirkel

Choosing a holster...

New handgun owner recently purchased a sub-compact 9mm (Taurus Millenium Pro) and needs advice on how to choose a holster. My questions are: 1) whether I should go with a belt rig or an IWB, and 2) what material (leather, kydex, cordura) I should choose.

I anticipate MAYBE an occassional concealed carry. For the most part I will need a holster for target and range practice.

I'm looking at a couple of different models, specifically:

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod.../_topless.html
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...are_asset.html
http://www.desantisholster.com/n87.html (I like the spare mag holder)
http://www.comp-tac.com/ (pro undercover model)

Why would you choose leather over kydex over cordura for a recreational gun user? Also, if I sometimes don't wear a belt during a concealed carry, would an IWB belt-through clip be useless? Any other recommendations? I could see spending $50-60 for a good holster.

Thanks!
Old October 31, 2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Eric Larsen

Well the material the holster is made from is strictly "UP TO YOU". Many people love all kinds and have their fav's for each style of holster....hell, Im a leather holster maker and I have Kydex OWB's.
Plastic is cheaper, a little faster and very available.
Id look at Uncle Mikes/Bladetech etc for a good OWB Kydex setup.
Shoot well..........

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old October 31, 2005, 04:06 PM   #3
azredhawk44

I've got cheapie cordura nylon holsters for almost every one of my guns, I've got a leather holster from Hunter holsters for my Redhawk, I've got a kydex holster from BladeTech for my XD, I've got a kydex holster from Predator for my sp101...

IMHO, extra mag pouches on the holster suck for the most part. If you carry strong side, you will have to transfer your gun to your weak hand while you grab your full mag from strong side. That's bad training.

It's also a LOT of weight on one side of your body, and a lot of bulk. I really prefer only the gun on strong side and then any spare mags on weak side.

I really like the BladeTech holster I have. I can barely tell it's there.
Old October 31, 2005, 04:51 PM   #4
HappyGunner

Comp-Tac

I have really enjoyed carrying my 1911s and Glock using the Comp-Tac Pro Undercover. They are quality engineered holsters and fit my guns perfectly. I like being able to quickly remove my holster from belt. This is something I can't do using my MiltSparks Versa Max IIs.
Old October 31, 2005, 05:09 PM   #5
bulbboy

You might also try K & D Holsters. Several great IWB and OWB.

www.kdholsters.com
Old October 31, 2005, 05:19 PM   #6
stephen426

One of the most important questions you need to answer for yourself is what do you wear most often.

If you wear a jacket on a regular basis (and please don't do the photographer vest thing :barf: ) then you can wear the outside the waist band type holsters. They are the most comfortable and will usually allow for the fastest draw. There are the belt loop types or the pancake types. The latter does not require a belt (duh). You can go strong side carry (most confortable IMO), cross draw if you spend a lot of time on your butt, or small of the back (which sucks if you sit a lot)!

Those wearing jackets can also go with the shoulder holsters (either pointing horizontally or downwards). This is so 80's Miami Vice stuff though and slower to draw than strong side OWB holsters. It is also easier for the bad guy to keep you from drawing as they can bear hug you and tackle you to the ground.

If the jacket option is out (as for me in Miami), you can go with an inside the waist band type holster with your shirt out. This usually means SOB carry since the handle tends to stick out if you are slim. I actually carry my Glock 26 IWB without a holster (Mexican Carry?) at the 3 o clock position. I wear a belt to keep it tight and stuff it in till only the handle sticks out. I then half tuck my shirt over it and it simply disappears. A lot of the mini guns like the Keltecs have clips built in. Those are pretty unobtrusive and offer an extra measure of protection from keeping your gun from sliding down your pants at the worst moments!

Another type of carry may be ankle carry, but that is only possible with pretty small guns. You will also have to make sure your pant legs are pretty loose to have access. This type of carry is kind of slow as well when it comes to drawing.

You can go with a pocket holster or carry your wallet in front of the gun to break up the outline (I do this most of the time).

You could always go with the fanny pack but that screams gun almost as loudly as wearing a vest. If the gun is pretty small, you can wear Thunderwear. You may look very well endowed though and I'm not sure how fast it is to draw from. You will get some strange looks when you do draw for sure. I'm also not that keen on carrying so close to such a vital organ! At least you won't really have to worry about gun grabs! Some people carry guns in agenda type cases. I hate having to carry stuff around and would be concerned about setting it down and forgetting it. You can also pocket carry but the gun has to be pretty small.

As for holster type materials, I find Kydex to be the fastest. It is less comfortable than leather but they are pretty much impervious to sweat and the elements. They also don't trap in moisture. They always keep their shape and allow for easy reholstering. Leather is the most comfortable but it sticks to the gun more than kydex. It is also harder to reholster unless it has a reinforced top.

Sorry for the long winded post. I hope it helps.
Old October 31, 2005, 08:23 PM   #7
zirkel

Thanks for all the info! It sounds like kydex makes sense for me. I really like the looks of the Comp-Tac Pro Undercover.
Old November 1, 2005, 04:57 PM   #8
zirkel

Damn! It turns out that Comp-Tac doesn't make a kydex for the Millenium Pro. Any other suggestions for an IWB kydex holster? Thanks.
Old November 1, 2005, 05:22 PM   #9
stephen426

I have an Uncle Mike's fo my Glock 26 but it is pretty bulky. Do a search online and you will come up with tons of kydex holster makers. Good luck!
Old November 10, 2005, 02:47 PM   #10
sheriff-g

Lots of holster choices in both leather and nylon at this link for you gun.
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/Holsters_...T111-3.27.html
Old November 10, 2005, 05:32 PM   #11
success

comp-tac

the old taurus pt145 mil is the same size as all the new mil pro models...any holster that fits a pt145 mil will fit any new model....i am using a pt145 mil ctac for my pt111 mil pro