The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 18, 2000, 12:57 PM   #1
Jarhead_22

I know it's been mentioned in previous posts, but I'm looking for a solution, not just an indication that the problem exists. My M1 Super 90 has always been death-and-taxes reliable until I put a Sidesaddle and SureFire front end on it. Now it's basically a pump shotgun, because it won't cycle. Is there a modification I can do to get it to work with both these accessories, or will I have to remove one or both to get it to cycle reliably again? Experience based suggestions would be most welcome.

Jarhead out.

------------------
USMC/NRA/GOA/TSRA
Old October 18, 2000, 01:25 PM   #2
CITADELGRAD87

I had no trouble with my sidesaddle, but removed it after rather consistant reports of trouble. I took a local course and the instructor made a convincing case that in watching hundreds of malfs, Benellis will either jam if the saddle is too tight or fall off if not tight enough. The same guy reccomends Sidesaddles for pumps and steel reciever guns.

I left on the Sure Fire, as the worst I've heard is that it affects POI with slugs.

I've also heard from the beginning that Bs don't like light loads of any type, especially shot loads. I've always bought the most powerful crap I could put my hands on.

I am switching to a butt cuff.

No first hand experience except to say no malfs.
Old October 18, 2000, 03:56 PM   #3
Icopy

If I remember correctly, wolff makes a recoil spring that may help your problem. Their web site is at www.gunsprings.com. This problem is true. Benelli even briefly addresses the problem in their 2000 catalog. That's why they developed the gas operated M4 for the military.
Old October 19, 2000, 11:16 AM   #4
RobCon

The side carrier bolt will draw the sides of the receiver together, impinging on the bolt. In my experience, the SF forend has no effect on reliability. Forget the side carrier. If you want ammo on the gun I would suggest a cuff on the butt.
Old October 19, 2000, 09:59 PM   #5
Jarhead_22

Thanks for your opinions, folks. I will remove the sidesaddle and try a buttcuff. I'm glad to hear that it's probably the $20 sidesaddle that causes the problem, instead of the $200 surefire fore-end.

Jarhead out.

------------------
"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit constitutes firepower."
--General Merritt “Red Mike” Edson, USMC
Old October 20, 2000, 10:16 AM   #6
jthuang

Jarhead, I hear you on the idea of ditching the sidesaddle and going to a buttcuff, but it may not solve your problem.

Besides the problem with the sidesaddle binding up the M1's receiver, the other problem is that the sidesaddle, when loaded with six shells, increases the mass of the shotgun. The Benelli is an inertia operated gun -- and increasing mass will increase inertia. Therefore, part of the sidesaddle problem is the extra mass added to the gun by the saddle.

What I am saying is that adding a buttcuff will increase the mass of the gun, in a manner similar to adding a sidesaddle. Therefore, you may still experience malfunctions.

I admit I have never tried to put both a buttcuff (or sidesaddle) and Surefire on my M1 Tactical. My M1 has a Surefire 617F and nothing else. It has never failed me with light or heavy loads at any time.

So if you go with the buttcuff, you may still get some misfeeds. In such an instance, I would ditch the buttcuff and buy a shotshell pouch (for your belt) instead.

Hope it works out for you!

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old October 20, 2000, 11:45 AM   #7
NAD

Jarhead_22 - I had the same problem with my M1 S90 when I installed the SureFire on mine. The problem was due to the aluminum spacer SureFire uses when you install it. The spacer is too long and causes a gap between the ramp and barrel. Check to see if you might have the same problem. Install the old front end and compare it with the new one.

I had it fixed by sending it to a local gunsmith and for a few bucks he measured the difference and ground off the spacer length by the same amount. It solved the problem and It works fine now.