The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 23, 2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Excoastie

after market sights on Shield 9mm

I've been looking at upgrading the sights on my Shield 9mm EDC.

There are so many different options out there that I'm not sure where to start.
I'm wanting something that is just a little bit easier to focus on, perhaps even something along the night sights line.

Any suggestions? I've linked the two that I've been considering, but they're so far apart in pricing that I wonder why one is so much more.

Trijicon Night Sight $107 at CTD

Williams Fire Sight $39.97 also at CTD

How about something else?

Exco
Old May 23, 2017, 10:15 AM   #2
jmhyer

What you are paying for in the Trijicons is the tritium, which is radioactive and literally glows in the dark. It slowly decays over 10-12 years and loses its glow.

The Williams sights are simply fiberoptic sights. They don't glow in the dark. They rely on the presence of available light and are definitely superior to tritium alone in daylight. They are cheaper because there is no tritium and the housing is aluminum...which some might criticize, however, I think it's at least superior to the polymer construction of Glock's stock sights. I wouldn't hesitate just because they aren't of steel construction. Just be careful not to damage them during the install. Steel sights can take a lot of abuse with a brass punch. With aluminum, however, I'd probable use a plastic punch, and file them to fit a little better before really whacking away. If you have acces to a sight puncher, that might even be better.

Which you choose is a matter of taste/choice. I have tritium sights on my service model M&P. They are excellent. But most would point out that you are very unlikely to shoot in complete darkness. So for most applications, the fiberoptic ones will suffice. And, as mentioned, they are far superior in daylight.

Last edited by jmhyer; May 23, 2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:34 AM   #3
ScaryWoody

I would look at Truglo TFX it blends the tritium with the fiber optic. It's about the same price as the Trijicons. I just have a HiViz front for easy sight acquisition.
Old May 24, 2017, 09:09 AM   #4
jackstrawIII

I have the standard Truglo tritium sights on my Shield and I love them. I had the TFX on a pistol a while back and I didn't love how big the front sight was.
Old May 24, 2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Rogervzv

I have the Truglo Tritium sights on my Shield 9mm and really like the sights.

Miles better than the stock sights.

As an earlier poster said, you are paying for the Tritium. But it's worth it.
Old May 29, 2017, 01:24 PM   #6
gpjoe

As stated, fiber optic (Williams) sights are great in daylight but are useless in the dark. If you want to use the gun for self-defense, buy tritium sights.
Old May 30, 2017, 08:34 PM   #7
KyJim

Quote:
As stated, fiber optic (Williams) sights are great in daylight but are useless in the dark. If you want to use the gun for self-defense, buy tritium sights.
If completely dark, you are correct. If it is low light level, maybe a flood light, street light, etc. fiber optic sights may work very well --- some gather more light than others due to size. A gold/brass bead will also do the same.

But of course, that brings up the question --- if there's not enough light to see a fiber optic sight, is there enough light to see your target?
Old May 31, 2017, 01:02 AM   #8
Mosin44az

Another vote for Truglo, either TFOs or TFXs. Bright all the time.
Old May 31, 2017, 03:43 AM   #9
gpjoe

Quote:
If completely dark, you are correct. If it is low light level, maybe a flood light, street light, etc. fiber optic sights may work very well --- some gather more light than others due to size. A gold/brass bead will also do the same.

But of course, that brings up the question --- if there's not enough light to see a fiber optic sight, is there enough light to see your target?
True, but I probably should have worded my post differently.

I bought Williams Fire Sights for a pistol and they worked as long as there was a light source, though not very well in low light. I immediately replaced them with Trijicon tritium sights which are much more visible in low light or darkness.

Since the gun was mainly for home defense, I wanted something visible in dark conditions, and the fiber optic sights are not. Whether I take the shot or not is a different issue, but I know for certain that I can see my sights in ANY condition.
Old May 31, 2017, 07:02 AM   #10
Excoastie

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure what route I'm going to go. I do know that I want different sights than what I have now. I also know that I'm going to have them installed, as I don't really feel like beating on my EDC and breaking the sights. I'll let someone else do that, who can then contribute to my new purchase....

I have been leaning toward the fiber sights, as I don't seriously see myself using the weapon in complete darkness, at the most a low light situation.

Exco
Old May 31, 2017, 09:01 AM   #11
gnystrom

When I owned a Shield I had a set of Ameriglo i Dots sights on it. I loved the yellow front which I found was easier for my eyes to pick up quickly.