The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 29, 2017, 05:17 PM   #1
kawasakifreak77

Approx. Sako Riihimaki 222 value?

Guys, I'm looking at this rifle:

A Sako Riihimaki with a heavy barrel & peep sight in 222. Serial number is like 29xxx & it comes with an old Weaver K10 that looks pretty good. The whole rifle looks pretty good really, very few dings in the stock & the bluing is real nice. I'm waiting on pics to post.

But to the point, he's pretty firm at $1,300. Seems a bit steep but I really can't find any recent auctions on a heavy barrel Riihimaki. Lots of Vixens but those were made later on I understand? Only info I can really find is older threads where everyone says they shoot great!

What do you think? Too much?
Old April 29, 2017, 05:43 PM   #2
eastbank

i think its priced a little high, but they are not making any more and the heavy barreled ones were not made in high numbers compared to light barreled ones. you can,t pay to much, but you can buy to soon. eastbank.
Old April 29, 2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Scorch

I just picked up an old Sako for $800, but it did't come with a scope. I think his price is probably a little high, but remember that those Sako rings cost about $100 a set, and 222 is pretty desirable.
Old April 29, 2017, 07:45 PM   #4
kawasakifreak77

Thanks guys. How high is a little high? I'm trying to get him down to 12 for the whole package. He's got dies & brass too, which is good cause I've never owned a 222. I have always heard good things about them though.

Honestly I never even knew what it was when he handed it to me & at the time I was eyeballing the Garand he had on the wall... Which now sits in my safe. All I know is it appears to be a very well made rifle & even though I'm a young guy, old wood & blue speaks to me... Old world craftsmanship. I thought it was a funny combination, a heavy barreled target looking rifle with peep sights. Though I'm a big fan of peep sights so it kinda jumped out at me.

I do have a new Sako 6.5 Swede thats is a doll of a rifle, that my dad adopted once he shot it & an M39 Finn Mosin that my bro adopted that shoots heavy ball surplus very well. Then I found a Finn marked M96 Swede with no import marks that can just about put 140gr SSTs on top of each other.

So so far, Finn rifles have treated me very well, thats why I'm taking a second look at it. Otherwise I really don't know diddly about it. Any cool history lessons here?
Old April 30, 2017, 09:44 AM   #5
taylorce1

You can go to gunbroker.com and buy a similar Sako .222 rifle for $700. That's $500 less than you're hoping to buy one locally, I think I'd take the risk on the cheaper rifle. Even if you had to rebarrel the average cost of that is about $700 so you'd only have to find an extra $200.

The K10 was a nice scope in its day but I think the glass available today will blow that old scope out of the water. I sure wouldn't give them much for an old steel tube scope. Dies and brass are nice, but neither are truly hard to get.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:00 AM   #6
old roper

That 222 is the Varmint model

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/640453162
NRA Life Member
Old April 30, 2017, 01:10 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Roper
That 222 is the Varmint model

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/640453162
There are Varmint models on gunbroker for less money than the one you linked as well. Of course one is missing the magazine and I wouldn't buy that one unless you had a line on a magazine for a reasonable price already. There are some varmint model Sako Riihimaki rifles for under $1000 buy it now price.
Old April 30, 2017, 04:38 PM   #8
Husqvarna

Quote:
Finn marked M96 Swede
There were Swedish volunteers both civilians, enlisted men and officers during the winter war
not officially sanctioned by our Gov but a blind eye turned so to speak
Old April 30, 2017, 08:17 PM   #9
old roper

taylorce1, OP was asking about value on rifle he was looking at. It's his choice on what he want he want to pay not your or mine.
NRA Life Member
Old May 1, 2017, 09:50 AM   #10
taylorce1

Old Roper the rifle you posted doesn't reflect the value of the rifle the OP is looking at. It simply reflects what someone is willing to sell a similar rifle for. In fact the rifle you linked has been listed several times over the last 30 days with no bids, so it must be overpriced or they haven't found the right buyer who just has to have the rifle yet.

I simply informed the OP that there were varmint model Sako Riihimaki rifles listed for less than $1000 "buy it now" which was $500 less than the asking price of the rifle you linked. If you check gunbroker for sold items you'll find very few Sako .222 rifles sold for over $1000 in the last 30 days. One Riihimaki rifle sold for nearly $1700 and it was a full stocked Mannlicher style rifle. The other two Riihimaki rifles that sold went for $930 and $850 but they weren't varmint models either.
Old May 3, 2017, 09:18 AM   #11
kawasakifreak77

Thanks for the insight guys, I think I'm gonna pass for now & maybe he'll come down. Its a really nice rifle, just not that nice, I feel.