The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1
alan gordon

sw shield vs sig sauer 938

I have been trying to decide on the sig 938 or sw shield for ccw.
Money is no object,which of these pistols would be the better choice as far as reliability and accuracy.
Thank you.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2
salvadore

Don't know anything about the sig, but the Shield carries nicely in a Fobus paddle. The little I've shot it the gun appears very reliable.
Old December 26, 2012, 01:03 PM   #3
dean1818

My Shield 40 has been fantastic

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old December 26, 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Noreaster

Shield all the way. I'm a big Sig fan but the Shield has turned out to be a really good pistol and you won't have to carry cocked and locked.
Old December 26, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5
tristar viper

Personally, I'm the biggest Sig fan there is. But I have read many more negative reviews about that 938 than I have good. And the thing is over-priced real bad if you ask me. I'd much rather have the P290RS for 200 bucks less, and the RS's (the latest version of the gun) has been really reliable is what I am reading.
Anyway, I'd pick the S&W.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:32 AM   #6
DHart

Size wise, the P938 is significantly smaller. To some, that will make the decision right there. I have one and I love it. Runs like a hose. I drop it in my back jeans pocket for very light duty when I just don't want to holster a gun for whatever reason. (Rare, as the pocket size guns are back-up guns in my view, not up to snuff as a primary.)

BUT, I would not recommend either of the P938 nor the Shield as a primary carry gun, as the G26 and M&P 9C offer much more for not much of a bump in size.

You carry a gun so that if your worst nightmare comes true and you find yourself facing evil up close and personal, you will have the best chance of prevailing against 1, perhaps 2 or more threats. In such a case, you would pray to have at LEAST 10+1, 12+1, or much better 15+1 or 17+1 rounds on tap. Last thing you want is to be at slide lock when adversaries have more rounds on tap heading your way.

Carry the most gun you can, not the smallest, lightest gun you can.

The Shield is a fine pistol, but for me, it's not small enough to drop into my back pocket like the P938 is, nor is it as capable as the G26 or 9C is. The Shield is a 'tweener' gun in my view and is a lesser choice than either... In my view.

My recommendation would be to carry a G19 because it carries like its not even there, is stone reliable, accurate, and has 15+1 rounds on tap. This is why the G19 is so overwhelmingly popular as a carry gun. It's barely bigger than a 9C, yet has a significant capacity advantage. Sweet deal.

I usually carry a G17 or a G19, rarely... a G26 if I want smaller and lighter, but the size difference is so minimal that the G19 still makes more sense.

Ask yourself why a Shield vs. a 9C? Are you simply unable to carry a 9C or a G26 for some reason?

If you're going with holster carry, why not gain the potentially very significant benefit of greater capacity? The difference in ability to carry is insignificant.

Last edited by DHart; December 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:01 AM   #7
mitchntx

I bought a Shield. It ran great and had no issues. Recoil was noticeable and I had to work at keeping on target.

I attributed it to the recoil and the way it felt in my hand. It walked somewhat and found myself having to regrip it.

I installed the Hogue sleeve and it did help a bit, but still didn't work out.

Shooters at the local range let me shoot a 938 and later on an XDs.

XDs was a handful ...

The 938 has checkering on the front and back strap and feels like a 1911 ... a mini-1911. And the checkering gave more grip.

So I bought one and have had no issues.

The size also is more comfortable while wearing.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:26 AM   #8
DHart

MitchnTX... I like my 938 quite a lot, myself. The checkering and the night sights are superb. And being a long time 1911 shooter, carrying cocked and locked is great in my view. I just picked up four of the 7-round mags with pinky rest.... They are nice mags!

I'm glad to have it when I just want to slip it into my pocket, but I would still MUCH prefer to have a G19, G26, or 9C in my hand if the chips are down.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:07 AM   #9
ScotchMan

DHart is making a lot of sense to me.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 28, 2012, 01:21 AM   #10
DHart

Scotchman, thanks for your comment. This is something I've studied and given a considerable amount of thought to for many years.

The popular trend for the last few years has been to seek out the smallest, lightest, and invariably, the lowest capacity least capable pistols possible for concealed carry duty. You know the type, LCP, various .380s, PM9, P938... tiny guns with low capacity and greater likelihood of malfunction. I have a couple of them myself (PM9 and P938). They are convenient, handy, and cool little guns. BUT, these choices are folly when you consider the magnitude of the task, should they truly have to be drawn and used in a defensive encounter.

Most people can easily and fairly comfortably concealed carry a gun like the G19 or 9C, yet they seem to believe that they simply must carry something smaller, lighter, and much less up to the job of serious defense duty. If and when the day comes that they actually have to attempt to defeat true evil up close and personal, they will wish they had more gun with them.

I repeat...
You carry a gun so that if your worst nightmare comes true and you find yourself facing evil up close and personal, you will have the best chance of prevailing against 1, perhaps 2 or more threats. In such a case, you would pray to have at LEAST 10+1, 12+1, or much better 15+1 or 17+1 rounds on tap. Last thing you want is to be at slide lock when you're still trying desperately to stay alive and your adversaries are mere seconds away, closing in on you, and/or still firing on you.

Don't count on being able to effectively reload when you are in the middle of a seconds-long encounter... MUCH better to start out with 16 rounds on tap from the get go.

Carry the most gun you would like to have when you really need it, rather than the least gun you can find which barely qualifies as a capable gun fighting tool.

My vote for an easy to carry, capable CCW? In descending order... G17, G19, 9C, or at bare minimum a G26. Personally, I've been carrying either the G17 (17+1) or the G19 (15+1) in recent years with Federal 124gr. HST and find them easy to have around me at all times, easy to shoot well, fast with follow-up shots, plenty accurate, and stone reliable.

Last edited by DHart; December 28, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:04 AM   #11
ScotchMan

Completely agree with everything you're saying. My situation is a bit unique as I live in a state with the AWB still in effect. So I carry a 10+1 as the largest capacity I can have without going to pre-ban magazines (which introduce their own complications).

I tend to keep my mouth shut in the types of threads extolling the virtues of mouse guns, because it just creates arguments. But something people should keep in mind is your gun is only as effective as you are with it. Can you hit the CNS reliably under stress? If not, your .380 is pretty useless.

The only thing I would add to DHart's post is whatever you are spending on your gun should be insignificant compared to the amount you spend on ammo and training. Your confidence should not come from the fact that you have a gun, but that you know you can use it effectively if the time comes.

I chose my signature based on the idea that discussing all these cool new wizbang guns is entertaining for sure, but it needs to be kept in context. Ultimately the gun and ammo is the least important consideration on whether the system will work or not. The gun is a tool, you are the weapon.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 28, 2012, 11:24 PM   #12
KyJim

Hard to argue against the wisdom of a higher capacity gun or a gun in a larger/more powerful. Yet the most important rule in a gunfight is to have a gun. If a person won't or can't carry a larger gun, then what good does a 17 round mag do if it's in the safe at home with the gun? I carry smaller pistols in warm weather due to clothing restrictions. Everything about concealed carry is a compromise. Otherwise, we would all be walking around with a 12 gauge shotgun.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:28 AM   #13
TennJed

Sig P290 is even smaller than the P938 and cheaper. Also has a wonderful DOA trigger. Also comes with extended 8 rd mag
Old December 29, 2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Pilot

Quote:
Sig P290 is even smaller than the P938 and cheaper.

Yeah, but it looks like that Block of Soap gun Warren Oates made to break out of jail in that old Dillinger movie.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:09 AM   #15
tristar viper

Who cares what it looks like??? The 290RS would far and away be my own choice for a single stack 9mm to carry. And previous poster is right....it has a truly wonderful DAO trigger. When Sig re-did their original 290 and brought out the RS model, they did it right.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:55 AM   #16
shuler13

I opted for the 938 and with the extended grip mag shoots great. I also own a 9c but wasn't ever sold on the shield. I have had no problems with either.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Pilot

I prefer the single action trigger of the P938 by far over the DAO trigger of the P290. Plus, I just won't carry an ugly gun, just my preference. So, yes I CARE what it looks like.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:57 AM   #18
tristar viper

I carry a Glock....so obviously I do NOT care what a gun looks like
Old December 29, 2012, 11:38 AM   #19
dondavis3

I carry either the S&W Shield or S&W 9c

My Shield

My M&P 9c

Both are excellent / dependable guns.

Old December 29, 2012, 09:59 PM   #20
915A

We found a place to rent range guns today and while the selection was limited they had the p938 and the wife loved it. And now seeing the comparison pic of the Shield and then 938 I think the 938 will be the next purchase. I still can't find the magic unicorn that is the Shield, but the wife loved the 938 and was money with it at 15 yards. I did notice it had more pop than my Ruger 9c. But it was nice to shoot and most of all momma loved it.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:51 AM   #21
sserdlihc

Dhart, I appreciate you stating the obvious when it comes mouse guns. Very thorough observations. I have looked at the XDS for awhile but have leaned back toward the XDm compact and the shield. I wouldn't mind having a mouse gun as a true back up for ankle carry but that would be it.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Fargazer

All depends upon your manual of arms. My wife has a Sig P238, so the 938 is the natural choice for her. For me, the Shield can be carried with the safety off, so that would be what I would consider.

From a cost efficiency standpoint, I'd go Shield.

I currently carry a Walther PPS, which is just about exactly the size of the Shield (at the LGS we compared them side by side). Proven track record, more accurate than you are, and I think addresses DHart's points better than the other two.