The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Which electronic earmuffs do you use

Buddy of mine picked up a set of these at Dicks, although a little less expensive and without the drive from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell--MAX-...4634603&sr=8-1

What do you use, and which electronic muffs do you like? I have a pair of the Ryobi Tec electronic muffs, but those were really intended for more mechanical noise (woodworking) and they are bright yellow - so I doubt I could take them hunting
Old August 29, 2011, 11:30 AM   #2
zippy13

I don't use earmuffs nor electronics for shotgunning.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3
natman

I've used a pair of these for years for hunting and am very happy with them:

http://www.amazon.com/PELTOR-TACTICA.../dp/B004D9W3FY
Old August 29, 2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

I've bought Peltors, and I've bought cheapies. In my experience they all die, and so I'd rather buy new cheapies.

YMMV...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:14 PM   #5
RoscoeC

I used these for a couple of years and liked them.
http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electro...4637644&sr=1-2

Unfortunately, they fell out of my car and got run over. I replaced them with these:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...4637716&sr=1-1

I like these even better. They are digital, and run for many months on a couple of aaa batteries. The Peltors were digital also and had great battery life, but the Howard Leight ones are less than half the price of the Peltors.

The very first pair I got was a set of Radians. Needed batteries in both sides, and had individual volume controls for each side. Battery life was about 2 hours, so they wouldn't even last through a range session. In short they were total junk.

My experience has not been the same as Lee Lapin's. I would still be using the Peltors were it not for my own stupidity.
NRA Life Member
Old August 29, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6
BigJimP

I have a pair of Peltors - I use for handgunning only...

I don't wear ear muffs --- for shotgunning ...they hit the stock and move around too much / I use custom molded ear plugs.
Old August 29, 2011, 02:26 PM   #7
oneounceload

Peltor Tactical 7 electronic muffs - got them so I can hear folks talking, pick up the machines when I can't see them, and, most importantly, to protect the area around my ears - the mastoid can transmit harmful vibrations to the middle and inner ear - and my hearing sucks bad enough as it is
Old August 29, 2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Stevie-Ray

I use the Caldwells myself, and keep them near my HD gun at night. At the range I use plugs under them.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:08 AM   #9
PJR

I am using Peltor Com Tac for shotgunning that I bought in 2003. They are used weekly in all conditions and are still going strong. All I've done to them is install a hygeine kit every couple of years. The Com Tac aren't cheap but they are worth every penny.

Previously I owned the various cheap Peltors (Tac 6, Soundtrap) and they didn't stand up to regular use, aren't waterproof, the 4 AAA batteries were awkward to replace, went dead quickly and if the unit wasn't off before replacing the batteries you could sometimes fry the electronics.

The cheap Peltors clip loud noises. The Com Tac and similar models (Pro Tac, Sport Tac) suppress the noise and are so natural sounding that it's easy to forget you are wearing them. They also have an automatic shut-off and use two cheaper AA batteries that can be changed from the outside. Battery life is very good. I'm changing batteries every 6 to 8 months. Sometimes think I've saved the extra cost of the higher end Peltors just in AAA batteries which I was constantly replacing in the cheaper units.

I also picked up a set of the Howard Leight Impact to try and found the response time slower and the sound not as clear as the high end Peltors. They are okay and I use them as loaners for new shooters. I like them better than the Peltor Tac 6 because they use AA batteries which can be changed from the outside and the Leights have an auto shut-off..

MSA Sordin also makes a good unit however they don't fit me as well as the Peltors. They aren't inexpensive either but with hearing protection you get what you pay for.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:30 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
Previously I owned the various cheap Peltors (Tac 6, Soundtrap) and they didn't stand up to regular use, aren't waterproof, the 4 AAA batteries were awkward to replace, went dead quickly and if the unit wasn't off before replacing the batteries you could sometimes fry the electronics.

The cheap Peltors clip loud noises. The Com Tac and similar models (Pro Tac, Sport Tac) suppress the noise and are so natural sounding that it's easy to forget you are wearing them. They also have an automatic shut-off and use two cheaper AA batteries that can be changed from the outside. Battery life is very good. I'm changing batteries every 6 to 8 months. Sometimes think I've saved the extra cost of the higher end Peltors just in AAA batteries which I was constantly replacing in the cheaper units.
The Com Tac Peltors sound very nice indeed. They should be nicer than the Peltor 6s - they cost seven times as much. ($319 vs. $45 on amazon.com). $274 buys a lot of AAA batteries.

Com Tac

6S

I found the sound quality of the 6s to be pretty good, but there was room for improvement, which I bet the Com Tacs supply.

I agree about awkwardness of changing the batteries on the 6s. In fairness the Com Tacs are easier to change because they have battery compartments on the outside of the shell, which increases their profile substantially.

I had very good luck with battery life on mine, but then I used them only while actually hunting, which sadly was not every week. Mine would last for a couple of years until I finally couldn't stand it any longer and would replace them.

How does the auto shutoff work, ie, how does it decide that it's not being used? It would be a nice feature. A couple of times my 6s' became / got left turned on and ran the batteries down, which prompted my interest.

I'm glad you can get your choice of a simple model for $45 and one as nice as the Com Tacs if you use them enough to justify the price.
Old August 30, 2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Vividia

In the for what it's worth department (since i am an infrequent poster and do not consider myself any sort of an expert)

I second using these the Leight Impact:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...4637716&sr=1-1

They are cut down at the bottom so I don't find they impede the cheek weld, at least for me.

I tested the attenuation and ambient amplification like this: I set the TV volume in the computer room to where I could not hear it in the family room next to it. Put on the muffs, and set the amplification. I could now very clearly hear the TV, and with the stereo reception on the muffs, the sound quality was good. I then cracked a foxhunting whip (the popper on mine sounds like a .38 special going off) It muted it just fine IMO. Not as much as my passive muffs, but I didn't expect it to.

I don't exclusively shotgun, I shoot a lot of .45, .44 mag, .357 mag and 5.7 in handguns (that last is LOUD lol), and in rifle a number of calibers from .223 to 8mm Mauser.

The sound you hear doesn't just get inside your head through the ear canal, it is also transmitted by the bone of your skull and other parts of your head. According to what I have read, an in-canal ear plug does not block this "extra" sound. I can corroborate this finding. Having flown small airplanes for a number of years, I chose the earmuff style head sets over the in-ear canal style because of this very issue, having direct experience rather than just relying on reading. The plugs just didn't cut down the noise enough for my taste. Now this "extra" sound is admittedly much less than the direct canal transmission, but over time it all adds up, and I would like to go into my "older" old age with some hearing left.

If i am shotgunning only, i might use my in-ear canal protection. But if i am spending a full day at the range shooting a variety of noisy toys, or i am shooting at an indoor range, the muffs will always be my choice.

Again, opinion is worth what you paid for it. YMMV Like anything else, test and find what works for you.
Old August 30, 2011, 11:37 AM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
How does the auto shutoff work, ie, how does it decide that it's not being used? It would be a nice feature.
My Peltors shut off automatically at the end of 2 hours. If I am still shooting, I simply press and hold the OFF button, let them go off and then press it again to turn them right back on
Old August 30, 2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Ambishot

I use Howard Leight R-01526 "Impact Sport Electronic" Earmuffs.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2705946...Types&var=sbar

They're decent for the price, However, I only use the electronic feature between shooting strings for talking to other ppl etc. I only recently purchased these and can't get it through my head to trust the electronic mic cut off. But that's just me.
Old August 30, 2011, 01:10 PM   #14
RoscoeC

The Howard Leights automatically shut off after 4 hours. If they shut off while in use, simply turn the volume control to the off position and then back on and you are good for another 4 hours.

The Peltor Sport Tacs work in a similar fashion, but the time is 2 hours.

My hearing has gotten so poor that without the slight amplification that the electronic muffs provide, I am virtually deaf when using plugs or passive muffs. It is sure nice to be able to hear things like the range officer, or someone in my squad calling "Pull", or the instructor in a class.
NRA Life Member
Old August 30, 2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Dennis1209

I use the Peltor 7S electronics. Had them about a year and so far so good. I mainly use them for IDPA and handgun shooting to hear range commands and converse. For skeet, trap and .22 target, I have been using the earplugs below to try out. Other than being "gooey", they're comfortable for all day wear and do the job as intended. Feels like bubble gum or wax in the ear but like I said, comfortable all day.

http://www.earplugsonline.com
Old August 30, 2011, 07:55 PM   #16
PJR

Quote:
How does the auto shutoff work, ie, how does it decide that it's not being used? It would be a nice feature. A couple of times my 6s' became / got left turned on and ran the batteries down, which prompted my interest.
If you are wearing them after two hours you get a couple of beeps in the headset. Touching any button resets the auto shut-off and the headset then shuts off two hours later. If you are still using them touching any button starts the process again.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:49 PM   #17
Bentonville

Dennis, I can't find the NRR rating on these bees wax plugs. Do you know it? Thanks
Old August 30, 2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Bentonville

I want a pair with 29 or 33 NRR for maximum protection. 21 or 23 ratings I saw on this thread don't really offer a lot of protection from a firearm that is nearly 140 decibels or so. Are there any offerings with the higher protection that anyone knows about?
Old August 30, 2011, 11:43 PM   #19
TheKlawMan

All I use is earplugs sold by the Home Depot for use around machinery, but I guess I should look into something like you are talking about.