The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 7, 2010, 01:21 PM   #1
andrewstorm

Man claims to use walker to shoot 2 hit n run suspects

I WAS LOOKING AT A WALKER ON ABLES SITE AND READ THE ONLY TESTIMONIAL AS TO THE WALKERS QUALITY, A MAN NAMED RICKY EARP,WHO CLAIMS TO BE COUSINS TO WHYAT EARP,SAYS THAT HE USED A WALKER REPRODUCTION TO SHOOT 2 MEN AFTER THEY HIT HIM AND RAN HE SAYS HE SHOT THE PASSENGER THRU THE HIP AT 40 YRDS,AND SHOT THE DRIVER ABOVE THE HEART,IN THE PRESENTS OF 2 DEPUTY SHERRIFS,AND STATES THE TWO MEN SURVIVED AND ARE IN PRISON,HE SAYS HIS PET LOAD IS 65GR PYRO P WITH A 225GR CONICAL @1325 FPS WOW WHAT A TALL TALE,IN THIS CRAZY WORLD IT COULD BE TRUE!
Old April 7, 2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Hardcase

I guess it "could" be true, but my horse sense tells me that he's a dime store cowboy.

Oh, if you could not type in all caps, it would make your posts much easier to read - thanks!
Old April 7, 2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Yup!

I am with you, Hardcase.

I don't have a Walker but I have read a lot of other forums today and no one has reported being able to load more than 60 grains with a round ball let alone a conical. Most say accuracy declines beyond 50 grains. No one reports MV greater than 1200 FPS and that is with a round ball and 50 grains.

This one has tough time gtting past the BS filter.

BUT I hasten to repeat, I have zero experience with a Walker.
Old April 7, 2010, 06:26 PM   #4
simonkenton

Please ditch the caps.
It makes your post hard to read.
Old April 7, 2010, 10:33 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Hmmm . . . . man shoots suspects with a Walker huh? Now I'm worried . . . my 88 year old moher-in-law just bought a new walker . . . but it has wheels on it. Will she have to remove them before she loads it? I know it will hold up to heavy loads as it is made out of steel . . . not brass.

I'm with the others . . . . this sounds a little far fetched and it sounds like daydream verbalized . . . . . now if someone could post an actual article printed in a paper to verify it . . . . . . It sounds like the storyteller is ready for a "walker" . . . . but not the shootin' kind . . . . .
Old April 7, 2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=34396

Weird, who knows.

SASS 47015
Old April 8, 2010, 05:36 AM   #7
Delmar

This might be a silly question, but is it a crime to be a passenger in a car that does a hit and run? Why would the passenger deserve to be shot?
Old April 8, 2010, 06:52 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Hmmm

Carries a loaded Colt cap and ball that he can just pull out in case somebody hits him and then runs?? Okay...I know there are people who carry loaded Walkers and I am firmly in favor of preserving their right to do so. I also know there are those who think black powder revolvers make good personal defense weapons. I spent 26 years defending that right and I am no less enthusiastic now.

I don't think he had time to reload the pistol so in no more than six shots he scored two disabling hits...one at 45 yards...on two separate targets? This guy is better than most seasoned police officers (which, I do not deny, is possible) Maybe he had two loaded Colts. (12 shots)

A Sheriff was present according to his story. We don't learn anything about the sheriff discharging his weapon. Maybe the sheriff was not armed. Lot we don't know.

He appears not to have been charged with anything like assault with a deadly weapon. Maybe he was charged and just didn't mention it. (When I eat a lot of beans I have been referred to as "a salt with a deadly weapon.")

Anyway, we are left to assume that he was observed by the sheriff(s) to be defending himself and therefore within his rights to fire at these people. This means that the targets could be referred to as assailants who we can also assume were out of the vehicle. What would cause them to stop fleeing and exit their vehicle? Maybe he disabled that with a shot from the Walker as well.
Now we are down to no more than five shots. Could have been a motorcycle. Could have been an airplane and he just "winged" it. (Get it? WINGED it)

He says the exit wound in the passenger was "in the front". That means the target received the round generally from behind, right? After I drink enough beer my most dangerous weapon is presented as I walk away. But in this case the question remains; What was Ricky being threatened with that made it okay for him to shoot the passenger as the passenger presents generally his rear aspect to Ricky at a range of 45 yards? (My flatulence has been referred to as prolific, but even I don't get that kind of range.)

I doubt everything about this incident including the spelling of his last name.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:07 AM   #9
batjka

It seems to me like the guy that's supposed to go to jail is the shooter. You can't just shoot at someone 40 yards away and claim self defense. Just my opinion.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:29 AM   #10
ClemBert

LMAO!

I assume "hit and run" is a car incident. Since when does one pull out a gun and start blasting away as a car flees the scene.

This is clearly some dude trying to have a little fun with a posting.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:02 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
HE SAYS HIS PET LOAD IS 65GR PYRO P WITH A 225GR CONICAL @1325 FPS WOW WHAT A TALL TALE,IN THIS CRAZY WORLD IT COULD BE TRUE!
Pure horse puckie. Can't stuff all that in a Walker chamber. The story smells to high heaven. Shooting at someone in the presence of a LEO is one way to get shoot yourself.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:40 PM   #12
arcticap

I wonder if the 2 sheriff deputies who were witnesses happened to be named Virgil Earp and Morgan Earp?

The event sounds like a total spoof about the shootout at the OK Corral which didn't even happen within sight of that location either, and especially the part regarding the shooting of [and at] unarmed men.
BTW that shoot out led to the Wyatt Earp trial of 1881 which was actually a month long preliminary hearing.

Quote:
According to witnesses, Doc Holliday killed the unarmed Tom McLaury instantly with his shotgun, then missed Ike Clanton. At the same time, Morgan Earp shot Billy Clanton. Wyatt Earp then shot Frank McLaury, who staggered into the street and tried to get the rifle hanging on his horse. Billy Clanton, lying wounded, shot Virgil Earp in the leg. McLaury's horse ran away, so the cowboy drew his revolver. Morgan Earp shot him again, just as McLaury shot Holliday, now using a revolver instead of the shotgun. Billy Clanton then shot Morgan Earp in the shoulder, right before both Morgan and Wyatt Earp shot him again.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3498200098.html

Last edited by arcticap; April 8, 2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 01:57 PM   #13
olyinaz

Maybe he posted it from jail?

Hmm...:

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2005/earp121905.htm

Cheers,
Oly
Old April 8, 2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

Oly

Yeah...I caught that too.

Here is another Ricky Earp. Could this guy score a torso hit on a moving target from 45 yards?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Ricky.bmp (87.9 KB, 70 views)
Old April 8, 2010, 09:26 PM   #15
TXGunNut

I've carefully read this story and for the life of me can't find anything resembling a grain of truth in it. Especially the part about both BG's being in prison. Gimme a break!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 9, 2010, 10:01 AM   #16
greco

Don't forget get he mentioned that he has people occaisionally try to burglarize him. This guy leads a rough life, or lives in the wrong 'hood.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:42 PM   #17
andrewstorm

?

Maybe the earps are all LOCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 10, 2010, 11:17 PM   #18
Hardcase

Quote:
Don't forget get he mentioned that he has people occaisionally try to burglarize him. This guy leads a rough life, or lives in the wrong 'hood.
I haven't been to Tombstone for a long time...I guess it was a tough place back in the day, though!
Old April 11, 2010, 12:37 AM   #19
CajunPowder

Yosemite Sam

65 grains rofl ! AND a conical !
Old April 11, 2010, 10:18 AM   #20
zippy13

WOW, I wish I had the shooter's visual acuity, at 45+ yards, he "...fired one round aimed at his aorta."
Old April 11, 2010, 10:54 AM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

Barstool commando. What a waste of a public education.