The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2006, 11:00 PM   #1
keebo52

Pet Store Corn Cob Media

I purchased some corn cob media from the pet store but the granules are too large. I've tried a small food processor and a coffee grinder to reduce the media size but neither works. They just make lots of corn cob powder. Any idea on how to grind this suff down to the proper size?
Old November 2, 2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Steve in PA

I used the corn cob for many years and it works just fine, with the exception of .223 cases which became clogged. The .30/06 cases would get clogged but turning them upside down would empty them.

Since I wanted one media for all my cases, I went to the smalled sized crushed walnut, often used for reptiles. Works much better and no cloggin geven in the .223 cases.
Old November 2, 2006, 02:14 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Coffee grinders are designed to grind to a fine consistency. Food processors can be controlled better. Think pulse as opposed to just letting it run.
Old November 2, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
ledavatar

I ordered some "Green Pet" corn cob media from Petco.com (lured by free shipping on 100lbs of stuff), would those happen to be the ones you got?

I tried those lizard bedding english walnut shells - they work well but they dust wayyy too much. I wouldn't use that indoors.

Did anyone find that you have to run the tumber longer to get the same cleanliness with larger corn cob granules than smaller? I never tried the larger stuff but in my mind that would make sense.
Old November 2, 2006, 12:46 PM   #5
VonFatman

ledavatar,
I agree sometimes the walnut media can get dusty! The last time I ordered from Midway (Franklin Media), it was crap!

I have found the Petsmart media better...but I'm real tempted to build a sifter to drop out the fine stuff. I think that would make my situation better...you can't beat the price!

Bob
Old November 3, 2006, 07:59 PM   #6
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
I've been using the ground walnut shells from the local pet shop - does a great job.

As one poster said, it is a bit dusty though. If you like your casings nice and shiny, toss in a little Dillion's Rapid Polish (or if you want to save bucks, most any liquid car polish), etc. Knocks down the dust as the walnut media gets coated with it. No problems with excessive dust after that....
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old November 4, 2006, 07:09 PM   #7
keebo52

Thanks for the replies. I bought 25# of walnut at the pet store today. I'll give it a try. I think I'll sift it through some screen to remove the dust. I'll post the results if that helps.
Old November 4, 2006, 07:43 PM   #8
wild willy

put a couple dryer sheets in with the walnut media cut them up in inch or so squares
Old November 5, 2006, 10:49 AM   #9
MADISON

Pet Store Corn Cob Media

Only a very small per centage of any media gets down inside the cases.