The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 25, 2006, 09:56 PM   #1
rhgunguy

Mag extensions

Does anyone have experience with Arrendondo and/or Grahms extra capacity base pads for Paras? The Arrendondo is cheaper, but it looks like you can get more rounds in the Grahms. Has anyone used both?
Old May 25, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Number 6

I believe it's GRAM'S; not "Grahms" and

I seldom see them. I've used Arredondo's, especially on my Paras, but have since gone to Dawson for my SVIs. They come apart easier and seem more solid. They are the basepad of choice for most of the people I shoot with.
Old June 18, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3
biere

I have a gram's +5 on a glock 20 nfml mag, back when I got the +5 it was during the ban and fml glock mags were pretty darn rare.

Never had any trouble with it and I bought it used and already installed on the mag.

I did lots of research before investing money in the extension, pretty expensive for 5 rounds. As far as glock mags go it was highly recomended and well respected by those who shot in competition where the extra capacity was legal.

I just used it for target/plinking and it has never given me any trouble.

From the research I did at the time, several years ago, the cheaper stuff sometimes had trouble while the grams was considered expensive but mostly trouble free.
Old June 19, 2006, 08:23 AM   #4
HSMITH

I see quite a few of the Grams basepads in competition, they typically get one round more than the others available. Guys use them when the extra round will make a difference in the stage, but most don't like dropping them on the ground in fear of breaking them. I don't see many of the Arredondo, word is that they aren't that durable. Dawson is by far the most popular, they are really rugged and make mag cleaning a snap. I use all Dawson pads now.
Old June 19, 2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Lycanthrope

I've seen several Grams basepads crack when dropped and although they were replaced for free, I'd go the Dawson route.

As for the springs and followers.....Grams work the best for me. File the pad under the follower and you can easily add another round.