The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2005, 06:21 PM   #1
XD Niner

CED8000 Timer

I recently bought a Competitive Edge Dynamics CED8000 timer. While I have never had another timer and, therefore, have no standard for comparison, this time rates an “A” in my book. It is simple to use, has many desirable features and is easy to read in bright sunlight. It has performed flawlessly and the user’s manual is pretty good to boot. It quickly and firmly clips to my belt when in use. The case and hinge are very sturdy so having it open when operating is really not a concern.

Some of the key features are:

• Easy-to-read illuminated LCD display
• Memory Recall / storage and unlimited shot record & review function
• Split time recorded and shown for all shots fired
• Programmed NRA Bianchi, PPC and Field Shooting events
• Sportsman Challenge Countdown and Gunsmith Modes
• Custom PAR allows single or multiple time settings with variable delay intervals
• Combined Comstock function (programmable up to 199.9 sec.)
• Low-battery indicator
• Power down mode (after 30 min. of non-use)
• Input jacks for airsoft or stop plates
• Auxiliary jacks for earphone (included) and external horn
• Low frequency buzzer
• Convenient steel belt
• High impact plastic housing, blue. 3¾" (9.5cm) long, 3½" (8.9cm) wide, 1½" (3.2cm) high w/display closed
• 8.6 oz
• Padded Cordura carrying case and instruction booklet
• Uses one 9 volt, alkaline battery (not included).

If you are interested, you can download the operations manual at the CED site. (CED800 Instruction Manual ) You can buy it for $149 through several of the internet vendors including Brownells who sold me mine.
Old April 10, 2005, 11:01 PM   #2
garrettwc

Quote:
The case and hinge are very sturdy so having it open when operating is really not a concern.
I've seen this timer and wondered about this. Is open the normal operation mode, or does it work closed?
Old April 11, 2005, 01:38 PM   #3
XD Niner

It needs to operate in the open position becuase the microphone is opposite the buzzer when closed. This has not been a real issue with me as I keep it hooked to my belt.
Old April 11, 2005, 10:15 PM   #4
garrettwc

Thanks niner. I read up at the link you provided. Sounds like an interesting timer.
Old June 8, 2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I did a search on shot timers and found this thread. I see it's an old thread but maybe helpful.

I just purchased the same unit CED8000. I have messed with it for awhile (not while shooting or at the range) at home trying to get to understand how it works. I have a question or two.

The info states that it's small enough to fit in your shirt pocket (or something like this). The first thing I thought of when I opened it was how huge and boxy it was. Yes I think it's build solid but are there others on the market that are smaller and more ergonomic? I see curved models (Pact ?) and they advertise how they fit your hand etc. They would have less features but maybe useful to me.

My main reason for choosing the 8000 was the earphones for private listening. I thought I could use it at the range and at home to practice a draw and a dry fire. This is not working out as the dry fire snap does not trip the timer. Also I find that the headset is made of about the smallest most frail wires I have ever seen on headsets. The plugs don't fit my ears and I would like to replace it with a better made headset from maybe Radio Shack. Has anyone had problems with these light-duty wires breaking or shorting out?

Perhaps once I get it out to the range and give it a chance, it will be fine. But if there are others on the market that have the earphones, I may decide to take a look and maybe exchange it. Any thoughts on this unit?
Old June 8, 2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

I bought one, but didn't have the college degrees required to use the extensive functions beyond what I could do with my pro-timer.

It is much more bulky than they indicate, but is a good timer, if you can figure it out.