The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2018, 09:48 AM   #26
peterg7

Gunsplainin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog409 View Post
my pet peeve is "clip".

drives me nuts for some reason. It's a magazine. Magazine holds ammo. Clips load magazines.

Years ago there was a business that sold mags at gun shows, business name was Clip joint. I remember that Clip/mag were interchangeable with the old timers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by peterg7; December 10, 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old December 10, 2018, 10:52 AM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

The local gun show has a display of ammo holding gadgets. Its sign is Clips R' Us. Hasn't someone posted 1911 documentation from the Army introductory material with the guns way back when that used the term 'clip'.

French fries aren't from France and British call them chips I suggest if you are in a fire fight and someone says to throw them a clip, you refuse to do it.
Old December 10, 2018, 04:58 PM   #28
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
... I remember that Clip/mag were interchangeable with the old timers.
Some folks get some sort of joy out of reminding us that guns have slide stops not slide releases...

One or two gunmakers call those levers slide releases -- and others give instructions IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL that explains how the slide can be released (after loading or reloading) by pressing the lever.

What something is called doesn't necessarily control how it's used. (If it did, we'd never see an extended slide stop -- as that would be a meaningless control.)
Old December 11, 2018, 08:18 AM   #29
USNRet93

As an aside...on this and a couple of other gun forums..to this FNG, returnee to handguns(and rifles), the 'gun business' must be alive and well..a day doesn't go by that I don't have to 'cut and paste' a gun make and model on google to see what it actually is..LOTS of choices out there these days for just about any taste, use, need, desire..

"Tools not Trophies”