The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 17, 2018, 08:25 AM   #26
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
I used to carry with an empty chamber.

I have a sig p238 and just couldn't get used to cocked and locked. It "scared" me. Then I got a DAO pocket gun. With it in a pocket holster I was a touch uncomfortable with one in the chamber but carried it that way and got use to it. Then got a DA/SA Springfield and when I vest carry there is one in chamber with the safety on. Now even my Sig P238 might go in the pocket holster, cocked and locked.

All this to say that my cc experience has been one of self education and learning to trust my gear. My latest comfort frontier has been OWB carry of my sig or my springfield with my shirttail over it. Still feel a bit self conscious when i do that but am getting more and more comfortable.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Only been carrying for about 10 months..BUT carry everyday(Glock 42 and LCP, occasional G-19). What gave me 'comfort' is
-knowing how these guns 'work', lotsa time at the range, youtube videos, basically research(acknowledging youtube can be kinda 'iffy'. Put 3 people in a room and ask about anything, get 4(or more) 'opinions')..
-getting a good, secure, comfy, well made, holster 'system' that ensures concealability while still having the handgun be accessible...

But still carrying a very big deal.

OBTW-one in the chamber..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 17, 2018, 12:20 PM   #27
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Only been carrying for about 10 months..BUT carry everyday(Glock 42 and LCP, occasional G-19). What gave me 'comfort' is
-knowing how these guns 'work', lotsa time at the range, youtube videos, basically research(acknowledging youtube can be kinda 'iffy'. Put 3 people in a room and ask about anything, get 4(or more) 'opinions')..
-getting a good, secure, comfy, well made, holster 'system' that ensures concealability while still having the handgun be accessible...

That's my experience.

I got a Glock 19 a decade or so ago. And, I was initially somewhat spooked by it. What cured me of that was 1)becoming familiar with the hardware, and how the system worked. It isn't going to ever "go off by itself". 2)realizing that nothing is going to happen as long as it's in a good holster (kydex or similar, holds the gun securely, totally protects the trigger). And 3) I added a Tau Development "Striker Control Device" backplate, to make the holstering process as safe as possible.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "