The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2018, 01:02 PM   #1
PlatinumCore16

Clay Pigeon Fun

So a quick range report from this weekend:
I had bought a combo Stevens 320 and have used the long barrel to pattern a little, but no actual hunting/clays use. This weekend I finally got out to the trap range (for the first time in probably 15 years) with it. I found that I really need a bit more length of pull and a tad softer pad would go a long way, but I did wind up getting 4/5 on my last set of the round. Definitely fun to get back into it and the 320 performed as expected.
Old December 3, 2018, 01:52 PM   #2
FITASC

Glad you had a good time! One thing about those vertical pistol grips - they are not the best choice for swinging on moving targets like clays or birds; instead of your elbows being out, your shooting hand elbow will usually be in a downward position, ala an AR
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 3, 2018, 05:43 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

The combo set actually came with a traditional stock, though still not exactly set up for trap, I agree. I have thought about installing an aftermarket pistol-grip stock, but for now, I think I'm just going to get an extension and aftermarket pad and see how it fits/shoots with both the short barrel and bird barrel. I'd also like to run this in 3-gun, but the short barrel has a cylinder choke, while the long barrel is just very long for that. They make a 22" bbl, but haven't put the effort in to see if someone is selling off just their barrel.
Old December 3, 2018, 07:17 PM   #4
FITASC

Barrels can be threaded for choke tubes. Briley, Trulock, among others, can do the job making your barrels more flexible.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 19, 2018, 01:22 PM   #5
bladesmith 1

I've found usually trap shooters like the elbow up on their trigger hand a lot more than SCs shooters, especially those that shoot gun down. At least in the group I shoot with I've never noticed anyone sticking that elbow straight out. JMHO