The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 15, 2018, 08:06 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Ljungman AG42B Ammo

I picked up a ljungman recently and I gotta say it's a beauty! It might be the gem of my collection given its rarity in these parts. Seriously, I've been to dozens of gun shows the last few years and I think I can count on one hand the number of AG42Bs I've seen. I'm excited to add it to the collection!

But what do I feed it? After some pretty good searching I can't find any of the M41 ball anywhere which leaves me at commercial loads. PPU and S&B both make 6.5x55 loads but is that safe?

What I mean is the ljungmans' don't have an adjustable gas system so I don't want to blow it up using an incorrect modern day round.

Anyone been using commercial ammo in their AG42B?
Old November 16, 2018, 01:48 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...can't find any of the M41 ball..." You won't either. Nobody has used it since 1995.
Thousands of rounds of regular Norma(there was nothing else, milsurp included, for a long time) 6.5 x 55 hunting ammo went through AG's. Same ammo as the Swedish Mauser bolt actions anyway.
Keep your fingers out of the action. The AG makes the operator failure of the M1 Rifle closing on fingers look like a wee tap.
Old November 17, 2018, 02:05 PM   #3
tangolima

I don't have a Ljungman. But I have a hakim, which is the same design in 8mm Mauser licensed to Egypt. They are not exactly the same, but should be very similar.

Hakim does have a adjustable gas valve. I adjust it down just enough to have reliable feeding, extraction and ejection. Besides, it is a direct impingement action, similar to AR. There is not long op rod to bend. If you are into c&r firearms, ability to handload is almost a must.

Don't know about Ljungman, but the Hakim comes with muzzle brake. Loud as hell. I still amazed how the Egyptian army could use the rifle. After a fire fight, the whole infantry platoon would lose their hearings.

The action is indeed atrocious, if you don't pay attention. Worst of all, with the bolt carrier forward and trigger pulled, the gun can fire. The aftermath could be very undesirable.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old November 17, 2018, 06:07 PM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

I had all the various model Swedes at one time and I do remember
my Ljungman would chuck the empties (the brown box Swedish M41 surplus)
about 18 yards forward and 10 to 12 yards to the right!

It's not a rifle for use at a busy range as the brass took a while to round up.

Enjoy it.
JT
Old November 28, 2018, 04:04 PM   #5
sourdough44

The Son & I shoot one, mostly my modest reloads with Hornady 129 grain bullets. He has shot the PPU ammo, but prefers my reloads.

There is mention about lubing the ammo some before loading & shooting. We haven’t been big in that, but I may step it up some. The Son took a coyote about 6 weeks back with the Ljungman.