The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
T B Good

Reloading plated bullets

When reloading copper plated bullets like Rainer or Berrys.
Should you use loads for lead or jacket bullets?
Old September 3, 2010, 10:13 PM   #2
zxcvbob

The load data for lead bullets and jacketed usually overlap. In that middle zone is where you want to load plated bullets. Or just load the bottom half of the range for j-bullets.
Old September 4, 2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Bailey Boat

Load them like LEAD, never over 1200 fps or you'll have separation and BIG problems.....
Old September 4, 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Sevens

Start with mid-to-warm lead data and see how that goes. Work toward low-end jacketed. The 1,200 FPS warning is a general warning from the bullet makers -- some slugs are better off speeding along than others. I send 9mm slugs at a pretty good clip but I don't push the fat .45's really hard. The .30 Carbine bullet is rated to over 1,900 FPS! That bullet is my favorite.

A better warning: when loading them in revolver rounds, be VERY careful with roll crimping. Too heavy a crimp will cut through the thin plating on the bullet.
Old September 4, 2010, 07:28 AM   #5
wncchester

"Should you use loads for lead or jacket bullets? "

Plated lead bullets are lead bullets and usualy soft ones at that; load them as such.

Few people today understand the original reason for plating on lead bullets was to reduce lead corrosion on ammo stored in police (and movie cowboy) leather cartridge belt loops. That's still it's only practical benefit.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Uncle Buck

Quote:
Few people today understand the original reason for plating on lead bullets was to reduce lead corrosion on ammo stored in police (and movie cowboy) leather cartridge belt loops. That's still it's only practical benefit.
And all this time I thought it was so I could scrub a little longer to get the copper out.

Interesting, I always wondered what the benefit of them were.
Old September 5, 2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Bailey Boat

As an aside, I load plated in 38 and 45 and taper crimp both. The RCBS 38 cal taper crimp does as well as any roll crimp at preventing setback....