The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 5, 2011, 02:16 AM   #1
ClydeFrog

Serbu Super Shorty 12ga purchase ?s....

Hi Ho TFLers;
My bud & I are looking to get new "Super Shortys" from Serbu Firearms, www.SerbuFirearms.com .
I'm a left-hander & was looking into any member insight to learn if the gunsmiths can convert a standard LEFT HAND 870 Express into a Super Shorty at the Tampa Florida area factory.
The site states they use model 500 Mossberg 12ga shotguns or the Remington 870 as custom add-ons(upgrades).
I'm not much into Class III/AOW stuff, but a SBS(short barrel shotgun) may be practical for some jobs & a cool item to own.

PM me if you'd like.
Please move the topic post too, if you think it's in the wrong forum section.

Clyde
Old December 5, 2011, 10:25 AM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
ClydeFrog Hi Ho TFLers;
My bud & I are looking to get new "Super Shortys" from Serbu Firearms, www.SerbuFirearms.com .
I'm a left-hander & was looking into any member insight to learn if the gunsmiths can convert a standard LEFT HAND 870 Express into a Super Shorty at the Tampa Florida area factory.
The site states they use model 500 Mossberg 12ga shotguns or the Remington 870 as custom add-ons(upgrades).
I'm not much into Class III/AOW stuff, but a SBS(short barrel shotgun) may be practical for some jobs & a cool item to own....
The Serbu Shorty isn't an SBS, but an AOW. The transfer fee is only $5 for an AOW, it's $200 for a Short Barrelled Shotgun.

If you get tired of the Serbu you can't just add a buttstock without paying for ANOTHER $200 tax stamp. If its taxed and registered as an SBS you can configure it any way you want.

Serbu Shorty $705 + shipping + transfer + $5 tax stamp
vs.
870 LH $375 + $200 tax stamp + hacksaw

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 5, 2011, 04:09 PM   #3
rjrivero

dogtown tom is right again as usual. The only thing I have to add is that in order for Serbu to make AOW's out of the Mossy or Remmy actions, they must have NEVER been built into complete shotguns.

They need to be made out of "Virgin" receivers in order for them to be made legally into AOW's.

Otherwise, you're building an SBS for a $200 Tax Stamp.
Old December 5, 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Why didn't you contact Serbu with your question?

There is no reason they couldn't use a left handed 870 to make a Super Shorty. If you provide them the gun, they can make it into a Super Shorty registered short barreled shotgun. $200 transfer.

I don't think any pistol grip only lefty 870s were ever made, so no AOW for you...
Old December 8, 2011, 03:13 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Thanks Willy, I think....

I already know I can contact the gunsmith wizards of Serbu but I wanted some TFL input first.
Im no MIT grad or NASA engineer so I'm not up on all the design specs & parts related to the Remington 870 12ga model as a base shotgun for the Serbu treatment.
I would think the action/feeding & barrel would be the only issues for a left hand 870 shotgun but I guess it's more involved.

ClydeFrog
Old December 8, 2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

If you have any questions about these guns, ask Mark Serbu. It may take him a week or two to get back to you. He answered all the questions I had before mine was ordered. I can't see why a left handed 870 wouldn't work as a Super Shorty. I don't think they do any work to the inside of the receiver, just the action bars, the barrel, and magazine tube.

Obligatory SSS pic. Mine is one of these three guns. Should have it any time now. Any time now...

Old December 9, 2011, 01:06 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Nice!

Thanks for the message/pics WL.
The Super Shorty 12ga would be a cool prop for www.openingnightofthelivingdead.com .
I'm working on the film project now. Since Serbu Firearms is near Tampa Florida, I may just give them a jingle.

Thanks again:
ClydeFrog