The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2009, 05:53 PM   #26
gdeal

Quote:
While I authored articles, my primary duty was associate editor doing layout, proofing, copy editing, and rewrite. The same with the other staff editors.
Interesting.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:01 PM   #27
TheNatureBoy

I've purchased a few copies of this magazine over the years. When I go to the book store I look for it and purchase if there is something that I want to read. I'm ok with it.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:01 PM   #28
bustoff

Quote:
How "good" any magazine is depends on where you are. If you're just starting, they're all good. As you learn more you will tire of compairing autoloaders vs. revolvers, reviews of the latest .300 ReallyShortWhizBANGER, "How I went bob-tail turkey hunting in Maine", Norinco's latest auto-loading belt fed double barrelled 16ga. quail gun, etc.
I think that about sums it up. precision shooter is worth the money, I think. the other rags havent seemed to mature at the same rate as most shooters do.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:36 PM   #29
AlaskaMike

My favorites hands-down are Rifle and Handloader. American Rifleman has definitely been dumbed down and while I do read it, it isn't even remotely close to the same quality of content as Rifle and Handloader.

A great example--I recently read an American Rifleman article that contained a reference to Elmer Keith the effect of "Keith was an obscure gun writer from the 1950s and '60s". For someone to characterize Keith like that reveals a stunning ignorance, and for it to have been published in American Rifleman really illustrated to me how far the magazine has fallen.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Precision Shooter--I've never seen it on the racks up here in Anchorage.

Mike