The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 10, 2017, 11:51 PM   #51
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequins View Post
I started out pretty bad myself and really it's a learned skill so all anyone can do is practice and receive guidance from those more skilled than themselves.
I don't remember being a bad shot.. lol. I remember when I was about 8, I was shooting 22lr from a bolt action Ruger rifle my father bought me. I remember always being pretty steady and able to put small groups in the paper. I can shoot good groups, I can make a nice bbq rack of ribs. I'm not a pro chef, I'm not a pro marksmen, but ya know, I can hit the paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequins View Post
What scares me are people who are intentionally shooting other targets. If the RO won't throw those people out, I'd prefer to leave.
I was very annoyed. I was looking at the shots in my target and maybe the one in the lane next to me, with a poor stance was a true beginner, but the guys a few lanes to the left were plain shooting at my target.

--

In other news, could you imagine if I still had that bolt action Ruger? It would be vintage by now. Ya know what happened to it? My family sold the place we had, and I thought the gun belonged to the farm... so I buried it. I'm sure its still by the stream, exactly where I left it
Old October 12, 2017, 10:34 AM   #52
johnwilliamson062

I was at an outdoor range with about 20 lanes. Myself and a couple others clustered over to the right and a lone individual over to the left. I'm looking down my sight and I see the loner walking down the left side of the range half way to the targets. Scream cease fire. Person couldn't understand why everyone else had to stop shooting when there were ten lanes between us.
Old October 12, 2017, 11:18 AM   #53
ShootistPRS

That would be grounds for removal from the range that I attend. We have separate pistol bays to facilitate freedom of movement in each bay but on the rifle range you change the flag before you go down range and you must get a cease fire before changing the flags.
Old October 13, 2017, 02:23 AM   #54
armoredman

The unmonitored range I go to occasionally has idiots that do that, and everyone will do the same thing, yell "Cease fire", and everyone looks at the moron. Had a whole family do it once. We called a cease fire, the family was angry at everyone, I grabbed my target and left. Normally it is a great place to shoot.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:31 PM   #55
John J. McCarthy, Jr

If they hit your target because they thought your target was their target, i.e., they were hitting what they were aiming at, not a big problem.

If they were aiming at their target and hitting yours, big problem.

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/
Old October 14, 2017, 09:25 AM   #56
otasan

These are rifle targets at 100 yards, right? I can understand the confusion.
Old October 16, 2017, 04:07 PM   #57
Erno86

Shooting lane tolerances get tight...when say, a shooter next to you has a target set a 25 yards on his correctly numbered shooting frame holes, and you have yours set at 100 yards on the correctly numbered shooting frame holes --- If the 25 yard shooter sits, stands, prone, Et Cetera --- on one side of the shooting bench, or on the other side, your target could be in his line of fire. It usually takes a 'gentleman's agreement', to make slight horizontal adjustments at the benches so that the 100 yard target is not compromised.

Though I've had people deliberately shoot at my steel targets without permission from me...which is a serious breach of range etiquette.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; October 17, 2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 16, 2017, 05:17 PM   #58
DPris
Member Emeritus

Franken,
In late June of 1980 when West Valley City was formed, we original hires were up at Hendrickson qualifying for the first time, literally with Smiths borrowed from Salt Lake City. We were so new we didn't even have our own PD guns yet.
Oscar Hendrickson brought plastic 5-gallon buckets of SLCPD Smiths & handed 'em out as temporary loaners.

I had one misfire out of the 60 rounds allotted, fired a total of 59 rounds, counted a total of 62 holes on my 25-yard B27 target.
Guy next to me on my left barely had enough holes in his paper to squeak through.
He did not, coincidentally, last long before getting fired for consorting with hookers in downtown SLC.

I quit going up to that range on my own time years ago after retiring, very bad management.
Denis
Old October 18, 2017, 02:10 PM   #59
SIGSHR

I have Zero Tolerance for unsafe gun handling and carelessness at the range-as I do for unsafe driving.
Old October 18, 2017, 09:50 PM   #60
johnwilliamson062

I have learned to avoid ranges this time of year. Public and member only private. Too many yahoo hunters who only shoot 3 rounds a year to sight in show up and have no idea about range etiquette.
Old October 18, 2017, 10:01 PM   #61
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I quit going up to that range on my own time years ago after retiring, very bad management.
Very.
It improved a bit after the shutdown and reopening, but then the "RO" and his geriatric, idiot little buddy were the problem. -- The latter vacuuming brass out of reloading boxes on the benches while people were downrange, so they could bag and resell it.
Old October 20, 2017, 09:19 PM   #62
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I remember when I was about 8, I was shooting 22lr from a bolt action Ruger rifle my father bought me.
It is important to remember that not everyone gets a rifle from their father. Not everyone gets in instruction growing up. That person at the range who can't hit anything probably doesn't even know they aren't hitting anything.
Old October 22, 2017, 10:17 AM   #63
Kevin Rohrer

Very common on all types of ranges.

I hop the OP manned-up and said something to the shooter.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer