The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 14, 2010, 12:05 AM   #26
Buzzcook

Quote:
Whats the big beef with the lock?
In some higher power rounds the lock has broken and cause the gun to become non-functional.
There are also politically correct people who dislike the lock because it exists.

If someone isn't intimidated by a small semi, they probably won't be intimidated by a small revolver.

Pick the gun that best suits your needs and that you shoot the best.
Old December 14, 2010, 01:01 AM   #27
silvercorvette

Quote:
Silvercorvette - That Model 327 looks pretty sweet! Kinda big on the grip end. Assuming its built off the N frame?
correct it is and N frame, and as far as the locks go there have been reports of guns locking up by themselves. That is the last thing I want if my life depends on the gun firing when I pull the trigger. My carry guns all have the locks removed.

I haven't heard of any rumors about the lock being phased out and since S&W is owned or partly owned by the company that makes the locks I doubt the will stop making the locks.

I also hate the lock because it leaves an ugly hole in the side of the gun. There are a few gum makers that have locks that are less objectionable, if I am not mistaken Ruger makes a better locking system

Quote:
I really like concept of polymer, ultra-light revolvers, and I've looked at the Ruger LCR, but to get the laser sights, you pay an extra 200 bucks, where as with the SW, they come factory, minus the 200 buck
If you are going to be shooting a magnum you need a gun with some weight to it.

A light weight gun is fine in .38 or .380 but too light for .357 loads.

There is nothing wrong with light weight guns, I own a few. But sometimes a person may want something more substantial. I have gotten used to carrying the "N" frame to the point I don't notice the weight
=====================================

all you need to do to fix the lock is remove this part, the downside is you wind up with a space

Last edited by silvercorvette; December 14, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old December 14, 2010, 05:49 AM   #28
imthegrumpyone

Some where lost in the process, I didn't know we carried to produce a "intimidation factor". Thought is was more serious then that when you pulled out a weapon. As far as .380 vs .38, in good hands, it wouldn't mater.
Old December 14, 2010, 05:55 AM   #29
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
With equal training and practice, a revolver being reloaded with a "speedloader" will never be as fast or as easy to do as inserting a magazine (even one as small as some .380 mags are) into a semi-auto with the slide locked back is.

I think this guy will disagree with you 12 shots accurate shot all hitting the target from a 6 shot revolver in under 3 seconds
Not to take anything away from Mr. Miculek's extraordinary feat, he was using six round "moonclips" in a revolver set up with recessed chambers to accomodate same, not a conventional speedloader.
Old December 14, 2010, 08:25 AM   #30
xMINORxTHREATx

Grumpy,

As I stated before, if I pull out my carry pistol and the attacker saw it and just ran away, I view that as a better outcome than me pulling it out, him not even thinking twice, until there are a few holes in his chest that are about .38 inches wide.

When I first posted this, I was in the mindset that someone looking down the barrel of a revolver would be more likely to stop what they are doing, rather than a little toy-looking pocket pistol of the same size. But this was already clarified by LordTio3 when he pointed out that the demeanor when you present your weapon will be more of a factor than the type of weapon.

The reason I was in this mindset is because I've been in a situation before, where it was completely self defense, and the person on the receiving end of my pistol had kids and a wife. Once I pulled the pistol out, the situation defused. He thought about his family and decided to put the broken beer bottle down and walk away. Then again, I backed up about fifteen feet before I pulled out the pistol, therefore giving him and myself time to consider.

I don't know how many people here have had to use their carry pistol for a legitimate self defense situation, but its completely different than I imagined. Hell, I was in the Army, and it felt completely different than that even.
Old December 14, 2010, 02:37 PM   #31
doc540

I carry a six shot Colt.

One like it sufficiently "intimidated" Lee Harvey Oswald.

Old December 14, 2010, 08:56 PM   #32
xMINORxTHREATx

Just found out the M&P compact I was going to buy from a friend is actually a full size soooo. This Bodyguard .38, or whatever else I find, is going to by my new main carry pistol. Walking around with this 5'' Pro series is becoming annoying.
Old December 14, 2010, 08:58 PM   #33
xMINORxTHREATx

Nice gun Doc. Something like that would be good. How heavy is it though. Weight is going to be an issue for me for sure.

If I go to the park or something and start running around, I don't want a three pound revolver floppin around my hip. I know I can find a holster thats secure enough to hold it, but whether that holster will stay put is another issue.
Old December 14, 2010, 09:17 PM   #34
2amencw

carry gun

My suggestion is to buy and carry the best compromise of caliber, size, power, capacity and accuracy. The most important part is carry it. I personaly carry different guns for different seasons due to my and their clothing. I carry at a minimum a kel tec p3at or DiamondBack 380 and my kel tec p40 gets carried the most. Alot of people malign them but the Kel Tec p11 and pf9 are good juju for everyday carry.
Old December 14, 2010, 09:36 PM   #35
xMINORxTHREATx

The Keltec PF9 looks promising. Sure would like to have a 9mm Parabellum over a .380 any day.

I've always liked Keltecs, my friend had one of the earlier P-32s, and never had an issue with it.
Old December 14, 2010, 09:48 PM   #36
kristop64089

If the PF9 looks good, have you considered a Kahr or Walther PPS?
Old December 14, 2010, 09:59 PM   #37
xMINORxTHREATx

I have looked at the PPS, and seen the Kahr PM9 advertised a lot (hard to miss the ads in the gun magazines!!!) and they are more than the Bodyguard, and lacking the laser.

I feel like I'm kinda being stubborn because all the guns suggested are great weapons, but I keep going back to the Bodyguard .38
Thanks for all the input though guys, I've got some things to think about now at least.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:13 PM   #38
snipecatcher

Try shooting a compact revolver and a compact pistol before you buy. I had a S&W 442 (hammerless compact 38) and sold it. I can shoot a compact pistol (LCP, P3AT) MUCH better than I ever could the revolver. My P3AT is also much easier and more comfortable to carry. In fact, I would only carry the 442 when I knew I was going into very sketchy areas. I carry the Kel-tec just about everywhere because I don't even notice it's there.
-Dan
Old December 15, 2010, 08:44 AM   #39
xMINORxTHREATx

I've shot the Bodyguard .38 and shot very well with it. It's hard to NOT shoot good with a laser sight, though. Using the iron sights, I could still hold good groups.

I've shot a Keltec before, an older p-32, and a few other, random "micro-pistols" and I could hold good groups with them too, but they've always felt too small for me. I felt like if someone sneezed hard enough, it would knock the pistol out of my hand. Hard to get a good grip on them, and still have a good trigger squeeze.

The "micro- revolvers" though feel a lot better in my hand, the only thing is they are wider because of the cylinder. So its all give and take from what I'm learning. I've never been a big fan of these ultra compact guns, but now that I'm finding a need for one, I'm having to adapt.
Old December 15, 2010, 12:07 PM   #40
dgludwig

Quote:
Nice gun Doc. Something like that would be good. How heavy is it though. Weight is going to be an issue for me for sure.
If you like Doc's revolver, be advised that, unfortunately, Colt hasn't made this gun for decades. But the Colt Cobra (or its near twin, the Agent) is my carry snub of choice and the good thing is they can be found readily at most gun shows, selling for under $500.00 in excellent condition.
The Cobra/Agent snubbies have many advantages: Light weight (they weigh no more than a Smith Airweight @ 16 ounces); six shot capacity (one more round than the Airweight but, as mentioned, weighing the same); excellent trigger pull, both da and sa; fine workmanship and finish and high resale potential. Drawbacks are mainly two: It is becoming harder and harder to find people competent to work on all Colt revolvers and the use of +p ammunition in most Colt alloy frame revolvers should be kept to a minimum.
They are worth looking for!
Old December 15, 2010, 12:39 PM   #41
silvercorvette

Quote:
If you like Doc's revolver, be advised that, unfortunately, Colt hasn't made this gun for decades. But the Colt Cobra (or its near twin, the Agent) is my carry snub of choice and the good thing is they can be found readily at most gun shows, selling for under $500.00 in excellent condition.
The Cobra/Agent snubbies have many advantages: Light weight (they weigh no more than a Smith Airweight @ 16 ounces); six shot capacity (one more round than the Airweight but, as mentioned, weighing the same); excellent trigger pull, both da and sa; fine workmanship and finish and high resale potential. Drawbacks are mainly two: It is becoming harder and harder to find people competent to work on all Colt revolvers and the use of +p ammunition in most Colt alloy frame revolvers should be kept to a minimum.
They are worth looking for!
I had a Colt Agent that I sold around 30 years ago and I still regret it, maybe someday I'll find one at a gun show.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:43 PM   #42
Dragline45

No offense but I think its time to take some Self Defense firearm courses. When looking for a SD firearm you should not be thinking what looks the most badass because I wana scare the bageesers out of them. Every confrontation you get into you cant just pull out your gun and brandish it thinking "hey I didnt shoot him but the gun scared him off". If you pull your firearm intend to use it and make sure the situation calls for it.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:46 PM   #43
cflier

I've owned a S&W 42 for years and considered it my pocket gun. I have two problems with it, I am not very accurate with it even after years of use. Also, I tended not to carry it if wearing tight jeans or summer shorts as it would often print. I bought a Body Guard 380 and it fits my needs much better. I shoot it much more accurately than the J frame, and it conceals much more easily. I have big hands and tried a friends LCP 380 but for some reason I couldn't control it as well. The BG 380 fits me very well. I also like the restrike capability and the slide hold back.
Years ago I learned a lesson in stopping power of different rounds. I was perched on the side of a mountain the night before the opening of Mountain goat season (I had a permit). There was another fellow in camp with me who was shooting a 300 Weaterby mag and was very concerned because I was shooting a 308. He was certain that my gun was not powerful enough because goats are very strong with impervious nervous systems. He was right, they are. The next day I shot a nice billy with one shot. It went right down in its tracks and slid about 10 feet down the mountain. A couple of hours later i was sitting on a ridge with my goat on my back (needed a breather) when I heard him shoot. I looked across the mountain and saw the goat he had shot running, dragging a leg. 5 shots and 200 yards later that goat launched off a cliff and ended up 1/2 mile lower down the mountain litterally pulverized. The lesson learned is that it's not what you hit them with, but where you hit them. I shoot the BG 380 very well, I carry the BG 380.
Old December 15, 2010, 03:34 PM   #44
silvercorvette

One thing I forget to mention is pulling your gun out to scare someone and not shooting it immediately puts you in danger of having your gun taken away.

I forget the correct distance buy I remember reading that and attacker can cover a distance of 20 feet??? (more or less just a guess) and take away your gun before you can shoot him.

If anyone I know has asked my advice about carrying a gun the first thing I ask is if they are mentally able to end someone's life. If you can't do that you are better off not owning a gun or at least not pulling it out until you are prepared to shoot it.
Old December 15, 2010, 03:45 PM   #45
MrAcheson

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
With equal training and practice, a revolver being reloaded with a "speedloader" will never be as fast or as easy to do as inserting a magazine (even one as small as some .380 mags are) into a semi-auto with the slide locked back is.
I think this guy will disagree with you 12 shots accurate shot all hitting the target from a 6 shot revolver in under 3 seconds
Not to take anything away from Mr. Miculek's extraordinary feat, he was using six round "moonclips" in a revolver set up with recessed chambers to accomodate same, not a conventional speedloader.
He's also Jerry Fricking Miculek. You aren't Jerry Miculek. I'm not either. He's a professional shooter and a world record holder. He spends all his time training to do what he does. He shoots fifty thousand rounds a year.

Most of us have day jobs. You can't just skip the "with equal training and practice" clause in front of that first statement. Not and have any analysis worth applying to the average shooter.
Old December 15, 2010, 03:58 PM   #46
silvercorvette

I guess I should have added this
Old December 15, 2010, 09:26 PM   #47
shoota40

380 all the way more shots, more concealable, quick reload,less recoil, on target quicker
Old December 15, 2010, 09:55 PM   #48
xMINORxTHREATx

@Dragline, re-read some of my posts. And to have a CCW permit in Ohio, you have to take 12 hours of classes. I intend to defend my self when the situation arises. I've had escalation of force drilled into my head for years. Its a hard habit to break. I defend myself my way, you defend yourself your way.

@Silvercorvette, its 7 yards in 1.5 seconds. The Tueller drill is a good demonstration of this.

Being ABLE to take someones life is no longer the issue. WANTING to is. I don't WANT to. And if you do WANT to, then you shouldn't be carrying.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:57 AM   #49
dgludwig

Quote:
I forget the correct distance buy I remember reading that and attacker can cover a distance of 20 feet??? (more or less just a guess) and take away your gun before you can shoot him.
Before I retired back in 1998, our last few training sessions included the relatively recent "findings" that it is possible for a knife wielding adversary to close the twenty feet or so distance between you and him in two seconds or less. The point being made was that if a person was armed "only" with a blade but was threatening to kill you with it at a distance of twenty feet or less, you would be justified in shooting him.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth but I'm thinking this is what was meant by the "study" you referenced. If you think about it, you'd have to be shooting a matchlock pistol before someone could run the twenty feet or so and snatch your gun from you before you could fire it. Either that or you'd have to be a pacifist!
Old December 16, 2010, 12:22 PM   #50
mavracer

I have a LCP and a couple snub 38s if I could only have one it'd be either my Smith 442 or my LCR.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."