The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 22, 2009, 11:38 PM   #1
Kurbsky

The best flash suppressor/muzzle break for AR-15?

What is the best flash suppressor/muzzle break for AR-15?

I have the cheapest flash suppressor on my Stag 2T AR-15 and now am thinking about getting something better to replace it - hopefully a flash suppressor and muzzle break in the same device.
Old December 23, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
ronl

Vortex. Check out Smith Enterprises.
Old December 23, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Shawn Dodson

AR-15 rifle or carbine?
Old December 23, 2009, 12:49 AM   #4
w748

Look around AR15.com. Somewhere in there is a thread that goes on for many pages and includes pics while fireing after dark.
Old December 23, 2009, 02:21 AM   #5
Quentin2

Really there's nothing much wrong with the good ol' A2 flash hider. Looks good, too.
Old December 23, 2009, 02:46 AM   #6
RockyMtnTactical

If you want a flash hider and compensator, look at the Phantom.

The Vortex is only slightly better at hiding flash than the Phantom and it cost more, does not work as a compensator, and is more prone to breakage and snagging on things.

You'll be shocked at how much better the Phantom works compared to an A2 though. Many cannot tell the difference between a Phantom and a Vortex.
Old December 23, 2009, 07:45 AM   #7
RT

Thats an easy one.
Tromix Rifle Shark Break

Actually, I have the Smith Vortex on a couple of my rifles.
Old December 23, 2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Brenten

Vortex and PWS makes good comps/brakes/flash hiders
Old December 23, 2009, 11:12 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Hard to beat the A2 as far as function. Muzzle brake? It's a 5.56 for gawd sake, zero recoil. It's 90% eye candy.
Old December 23, 2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Ar15M4

I have heard nothing but great things about the Vortex. At least that is what all my friends in the corps tell me.
Old December 23, 2009, 01:57 PM   #11
kraigwy

I liked the three prong flash hider on the original A1s. Great for cutting the wire off c-ration cases.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 23, 2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Shawn Dodson

I see the Stag 2T is a 16" carbine.

I haven't found an aftermarket muzzle brake that works much better than the A2 compensator that's already installed on your carbine. Good shooting form will reduce recoil effect more than a muzzle brake, IMO. Instead of using a traditional rifle stance square up to the target (almost like shooting a handgun isosceles style) mount the buttstock lower in your shoulder pocket (you may have to shorten your adjustable buttstock), roll your shoulders forward, wrapping yourself around the carbine, and keep your elbows pointed at the ground. Your muzzle will barely lift off target with this technique.

I don't have any advice to share in regard to a flash suppressor, but if it were me in your shoes then I'd focus on selecting a better flash suppressor than a muzzle brake.

Good luck!

Last edited by Shawn Dodson; December 23, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old December 23, 2009, 04:15 PM   #13
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
Hard to beat the A2 as far as function. Muzzle brake? It's a 5.56 for gawd sake, zero recoil. It's 90% eye candy.
Maybe you didn't know this but the A2 works as a compensator as well...

The AR15 design helps to reduce recoil as well when compared to many other designs.
Old December 25, 2009, 11:45 AM   #14
LarryFlew

The newer style A2 has a closed bottom and works great. $10ish on ebay including shipping
Old December 25, 2009, 01:33 PM   #15
ormandj

PWS seems the best in terms of flash hiding/braking. There are better flash hiders, but none that are as good as a brake.
Old December 25, 2009, 02:23 PM   #16
Shawn Dodson

I find it interesting that PWS calls the FSC556, "A flash suppressing version of the DNTC compensator."

Further down the web page PWS posts the claim, "This device has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE.", and presents correspondence from ATF to support the claim.

I have the older DTNC (Dave Neth Tactical/Competition) compensator on one of my M4's, which, for me at least, I didn't find any more effective than the USGI A2 compensator. YMMV

As a previous poster observed, the open tine design of some flash suppressors are prone to snagging on twigs, leaves and small branches in the field.

Cheers!
Old December 25, 2009, 07:13 PM   #17
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
The newer style A2 has a closed bottom and works great.
Actually, all A2's have a closed bottom.

I think what you meant to say is that the newer birdcage style flash hiders have a closed bottom. The birdcages without the closed bottom are A1 flash hiders.
Old December 25, 2009, 09:39 PM   #18
BusGunner007

From things I've seen or read on the internet ---

The A2 works extremely well; is practically free or very inexpensive; is nice and short and doesn't snag on stuff.

The Phantom is really good at flash suppression; the closed bottom / rounded-end version isn't too long and works well.

The Vortex Tactical version is a bit better than the Phantom at FS and the newer style prongs aren't as 'snaggy' as the earlier version.

Brownell's has some videos on these items, including some SLOW-MOTION 5-shot strings of fire that really give you a good idea of what you might want.
Check 'em out. It's worth the time watching them.

Have fun!
Old December 25, 2009, 11:47 PM   #19
MEATSAW

I have a Y-Comp muzzle brake (Bushmaster) mounted on my 20" HBAR. As most of you know, felt recoil in .223 isn't much to begin with BUT after mounting this brake recoil is barely perceptible. I can watch impact and the cross hairs only move slightly even under 10x magnification. Its awesome.

As a by-product, though, is noise. Shooting neighbors to my left and right get a significant more muzzle blast. While that doesn't bother me at all if your situation is such that that would be an issue its something to consider when using ANY muzzle brake. In fact most people think I am shooting .308 and are surprised when I tell them its just a regular ol' .223.

Old December 26, 2009, 04:58 AM   #20
Desertguns

+1 on the Y-Comp from Bushmaster.

Actually, I have the Mini-YComp, on my 16" RRA Elite Tactical. Noisy? Oh yeah, but we've got hearing protection covered. Effective? Surely - of course, the .223 isn't much in terms of recoil, but even in the off-hand position, no matter what stance I use, there's virtually no felt recoil. And, the Y-Comps have compensation ports at the 12 o'clock position. Limited muzzle climb=very quick follow-ups on rapid fire strings.

And it looks nice (if it even matters.)
Good Luck!
Old December 28, 2009, 04:10 PM   #21
LarryFlew

Actually, all A2's have a closed bottom.

I think what you meant to say is that the newer birdcage style flash hiders have a closed bottom. The birdcages without the closed bottom are A1 flash hiders.

You are correct. Should have read more like - The newer style, A2, or (A2) has a closed bottom and works great.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:25 PM   #22
Kurbsky

Thanks for your feedback.

I already have Phantom on my YHM AR-15 and I am very happy with it.
I want something different and I really like the looks of Primary Weapon Systems FSC556. However, it's $100 and it may seem like a lot of money for a flash hider with some muzzle breaking capabilities. Plus I don't know if it's any better than my Stag's $6 device.

People who have ovserved that AR-15 doesn't have much recoil are correct. I am also thinking about my first AR in 7.62/.308 and a good flash hide/muzzle break may actually be more appropriate there. I haven't decided which system to get but what DPMS offers as a suppressor during their "Build your rifle exercise" does not appeal to me at all.
I really like the flash hider on my Springfield M1A National Match rifle.