The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Ambidextrous

Scopes are a fairly new thing to me, so ...

... please let me ask: Are they (scopes) fairly "universal" - in general? In other words, how important is it to know your rifle model when going to purchase a scope? Or, will the majority of (inexpensive) scopes fit on my new .17 cal. Savage (93R)?

This puppy has no site (which is new to me!), so I need to do something here.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 11, 2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Doyle

Knowing caliber beforehand does help in two areas - parralax and recoil resistance. You cannot put a cheap scope on a heavy recoiling centerfire and expect it to keep zero. Since you are asking about a .17, then recoil is not an issue.

Parralax will be an issue. Essentially, parralax is the distortion of the relationshiop between the crosshairs and the target as your eye moves in relationship to the scope. Centerfire scopes are generally factory set to be parralax free (or as nearly free as possible) somewhere in the 100 to 300 yd range. Some scopes have a user parralax adjustment.

Scopes made for rimfires have a much shorter parralax free setting - normally around 50 yds.

Bottome line - for a .17 buy yourself a good quality rimfire scope.
Old June 11, 2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Ambidextrous

Thank you very much - all very good (specific and technical) information.

Now, could you (or anyone "out there") be so kind as to suggest/recommend or advise as to a minimum amount of money to be spent on such a scope - keeping in mind that I am on a very strict budget (as are most folks I suspect, these days?).

Can a decent/fair scope be had at say, a WalMart for $30 or so, do you know?

Thanks again,
Glenn ...
Old June 11, 2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Doyle

yea, you can buy a $30 Walmart scope - but you probably won't be happy with it. Rule of thumb number one - if a scope comes packaged in one of those plastic bubble containers, don't buy it. There are NO good scopes in that category. Avoid anything that says BSA or Tasco.

The Nikon prostaff rimfire scope is about $110 and is decent. The Weaver rimfire scope is about the same price but not as good. Both Simmons and Bushnell offer low end rimfire scopes that are about $40 that aren't terrible. On the other hand, you can spend about $200 and get a 4x Leupold that will last you a lifetime.
Old June 11, 2008, 01:04 PM   #5
sholling

You've gotten some good answers but we only have half the story to work with. We don't know how you plan to use the rifle. For general plinking I like a 4x scope and the best deal going right now is the discontinued Weaver Classic shotgun scope that Natchez has on clearance. It's a good $200 scope marked down to $80. From everything I've read a step up from the Nikon Prostaff. Most shotgun scopes, like a rimfire scope, are set to be parallax free at 50yds - but a shotgun scope is built like a tank.

If you're looking to punch paper or reach waaaaay out there then you'll need more power. The entry level scope that most agree may the best for the price point is the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 with adjustable objective (AO) for about $130. AO is a way of adjusting focus and at the same time dialing out parallax errors using what looks like a front focus ring. Another good, and possibly better (but HUGE) option is the Midway exclusive Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 w/AO for about $130).

Some good reading...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/scope_magn...le_caliber.htm
Old June 11, 2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Ambidextrous

Thank you all again - Great stuff here!

I had started a previous post here (which I didn't get any bites on) as to my primary purpose of the scope - "varmints" on a mountain farm. Primarily 20 to 100 yard stuff - groundhogs, possum (opposum?), skunk/polecat, 'coons - that sort of stuff - perhaps the occasional fox or coyote.

Thanks again to all - I have a great deal more info now to work with - it's been a real education - and thank you "sholling", specifically, for the links!

Safe shootin'!
Old June 11, 2008, 04:05 PM   #7
jfrey123

IMHO, the Wal-Mart scopes work fine for small caliber rifles. I've got a $40 Simmons (3-9 zoom, 50mm objective) on my Remington 597. This thing is sweet. I whack everything I point at in the range you're specifying for your shooting distance.
Old June 11, 2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Ambidextrous

Thanks - I may opt for that (cheaper scope) for now, as I mentioned - budget's mighty-tight, and it's mainly for my step-dad to keep critters out away from the house. The hundred yard range would be for me when I'm stalking (the critters!), and pops probably won't use it for more than 50 yards - MAX.

Hey, I just remembered - we've got a big-ol' scope around here - somewhere - belongs to a family member who is currently "paying-off a l'il debt to society" if ya know what I mean (and I know ya'll do!) - he had it mounted on a 30-30. Would that thing bolt-on to the little Savage rifle I'm speaking of here?

Thanks again - oh and jfrey123 - love that signature - reminds me of an ex-wife of mine ... actually, it reminds me of two of the three that I seem to have collected over the years!