The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2005, 01:04 PM   #1
kkb

O/U vs. Side-by-Side?

Assuming shotguns of similar quality, which would you give the nod to as far as ballistics and mechanics go, and why?

Though I've never touched a shotgun, been a pistol and rifle shooter for a while, I can feel an itch comming on in a year or two and am starting the learning process.
Old June 24, 2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Buzzkill

hiya kkb

I think this is all down to personal preference . if it was my choice id go for a side by side simply because they are so easy to take apart . You can take the gun apart in about 20 seconds with the know-how .

If your used to the single sighting plane on rifles and pistol then i think an over and under would . Plus you fit in with the clay pigeon crowd {if thats your thing }

Just try a number of different guns in both types .

Cheers
Bob
Old June 24, 2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The O/U rules in the USA. I don't know if it is performance or fashion. I was going to say that a Trap or Skeet shooter would use whichever hit the most targets, but I don't know if it would even occur to a modern shooter to try a SxS any more.
There are a few traditionalists who hunt with a SxS and they are of course common in Cowboy shooting.
Old June 24, 2005, 02:29 PM   #4
LHB1

O/U's typically disassemble in the same manner as S/S's. Have owned both and like both but now shoot O/U's exclusively due to wider variety of models and availability. I also slightly prefer the single sighting plane of O/U.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old June 24, 2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Tacoma

Mechanics aside, I have never been able to hit anything moving with a side by side. The two barrel picture just messes me up
Old June 24, 2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Dave R

If your intention is to hunt, then dual triggers are a nice thing. Can you get dual triggers with an OU?

Fall upland hunting here could mean either dove or hungarian partridge. I like the option of putting size 6 shot in one barrel and size 4 in the other, and then choosing based on what bird you flush.

I have no trouble with the sight picture on a SXS, but that's probably because I don't own an OU!
Old June 24, 2005, 05:17 PM   #7
K80Geoff

The O/U is the gun of choice for Clay shooting. And the quality of O/U's is generally better than SXS for the same amount of money.

A well known shooting club I shot with gives SXS shooters a five bird handicap in a 100 bird shoot. They have found this to be equitable and have almost 20 years of scores to justify the handicap.

I suspect it has to do with handling and balance, and thhe large number of rounds put through the guns. Recoil may be a factor also.

However for upland hunting SXS guns are sometimes preferred because they are generally a bit lighter than O/U's. Unfortunately the lighter the gun the more it usually costs. And they do look nice.

Double guns do have a certain style you will not get with repeaters. IMHO they are more sporting.

And trying out a lot of different guns can be fun.
Old June 24, 2005, 09:12 PM   #8
jvlip3

I use a Stoeger S/S Coachgun for skeet and hunting. I just like it is all I can say.
Old June 24, 2005, 09:23 PM   #9
Casp_A

I perfer SxS over O/U for one reason: it's difficult if not impossible to find an O/U with twin triggers. What can you do with twin triggers, I hear you ask? Hurt yourself pretty badly. And for the record, I only own two shotguns: a pump action, and a SxS (with twin triggers .)
Old June 24, 2005, 10:00 PM   #10
kkb

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.

Quote:
Dave R Can you get dual triggers with an OU?
The only one I've seen during casual catalog drooling is CZ's MALLARD.

Quote:
Tacoma Mechanics aside, I have never been able to hit anything moving with a side by side.
Make ya a deal... I'll stop asking about ballistic performance on 'em if you'll stop shooting at 'em
Once you get to know them, mechanics are nice guys....mostly.
Old June 29, 2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
The only one I've seen during casual catalog drooling is CZ's MALLARD.
Awwww, geeeeeeeeeee.....

KKB, you're killing me. I just acquired what I 'thought' was going to be my last new firearm for a long time. And now you show me the fine O/U with CZ quality, and TWIN TRIGGERS for an SRP of $475?!?!?!?!

I'm gonna have to get one...