The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1
02bigdogs17

H380 question??

I have been loading for 3-4 years now and have used quite a few different powders. Recently my cousin gave me a pound of Hodgdon H380 because I wanted to try it for my new 22-250. He said he bought an 8lb jug of it several years ago and just poured it out of it into an old empty 1lb bottle for me. Well I got it out this evening and was pouring it into my powder dispencer and noticed some clumps in it. If you touch them they brake right up. Is this normal for H380 or did some moisture get to it? Thanks for any info.
Old March 7, 2014, 07:46 PM   #2
thekyrifleman

Sounds like moisture. Have had 380 for probably 10 yrs, kept in the safe, no clumps. Suggest you also check smell, should be sweet acetone type. If not, do you see brown "dust" or is the smell irritating? If so, use it as fertilizer in the flower garden.......it is bad!!
Old March 7, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
243winxb

Use a magnum primer.
Old March 8, 2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

Through the years I have had it and other ball type powder get those clumps in them. They are all stored in a climate conditioned area with little to no humidity. They all shot just fine.

I have also had a couple that turned sour on me as well, like mentioned above. They will be immediately noticeable when you open the lids as a yellowish brown smoke, or dust will rise out, or be present when you pour them. Those are to be spread out on the yard then and there. Also don't be sniffing any of them that show that, it won't be a pleasant experience.
Old March 8, 2014, 09:07 AM   #5
02bigdogs17

Thanks for the info. The powder does not smell bad and there is no yellow, or brown color or dust anywhere that I can see.
Old March 9, 2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Idaho Spud

Double-base powders can last a long time if kept closed and cool.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:24 PM   #7
tango1niner

If the powder doesn't smell bad and there is brown dust check the inside of the METAL can for signs of rust. I had some IMR 3031 that had a little brown dust, and the smell was normal. I emptied can and looked inside, there was very light surface rust in the can. I loaded and shot it and had normal results from a rifle of known accuracy.
Old March 14, 2014, 02:15 PM   #8
BigCheese

Storing powder

Post #2 above states " kept in the safe, no clumps"

In case of fire, powder ignited inside a safe will create a BOMB.
The storage cabinet must have weak walls which allow the high volume of gas to escape. Requirements for storage are furnished by powder suppliers. Read them carefully and change your method of storage.