The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 2, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

22LR Ammo Shootout - Kidd10/22 -- CZ452 -- Savage MarkII TR

Day1 Review consisted of a newly built Kidd 10/22 Customized platform and a CZ452 Varmint both shot at 50 yards with various ammo trying to determine which brand each likes.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=2384

Day2 Consisted of the Kidd 10/22 Customized platform, CZ452 and this time I brought along a Savage MarkII TR. Each were shot at 100yards with various ammunition from the bench utilizing front and rear sand bag rest.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=2554

I know it is not the most scientific but I was able to achieve my goal in determining which ammo I need to keep around for each platform. I also had a ton of fun and after the testing shot at some remaining clay birds someone had left around.

Stop over and tell me what you think, leave comments.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2
chucknbach

I have that same CZ. It likes CCI Velociters & 36gn Mini mags and Eley Target. The Velociters and Eley won out at 50 (not by much)the MM's took it at 100yds so that's what I shoot now.

I've tried a couple of the ones on your list but not your top performers. They would be worth a try, if they're not to expensive. Great write up thanks.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

I don't know if I should be surprised or not that the CZ shoots those velocitors correctly because they avg 1435fps. Typically in general Supersonic ammunition is not as accurate.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:58 PM   #4
chucknbach

Yeap, I've heard that too. If it makes you feel any better the velociters opened up like a shot gun blast at 100yds. No, I don't have an answer, It goes against what I think. I have repeated several times the 50 yd groups but I only put 10 rounds apiece at the 100. More testing? maybe.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Scorch

Sounds like fun! I love ammo testing with the 22s! I usually include CCI Green Tag and Federal Gold Medal match as standards, they always shoot among the best.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:29 PM   #6
zukiphile

My CZs like Dynapoint.

I used to have a 10/22 with the Kidd trigger. It was very good, but I just never warmed up to it the way I did to the CZs.

When I see a 10/22, I see a wad of parts, like an AR. When I see a CZ, I see a rifle.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:12 PM   #7
kahrguy

Darn good professional writeup . One thing I may have missed, How many throw away between changeing ammo labels before shooting for group size. I found it can take 20 to 25 rounds fire to stabize to a new ammo label. Shoot blaser after wolf and those first 10 rounds maybe very tight , then it start to open to normal size groups. Also changeing lots can make great below average. Suprised the savage was not a better shooter. How many rounds thru that rifle total, new rifle?. Kidd and cz are kinda a standard of great shooters. Good job. Some of federal gold match is loaded by RWS so it may have been tested after all tested.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Mr.RevolverGuy

Thank you --- Before shooting for groups I shot 10 fouling shots. So if I were switching to Wolf Target, I would shoot 10 rounds of Wolf Target and then using the exact same ammo shoot for group.

I too was a little surprised by the Savage. The Savage has about 200 rounds through it so far. I truly believe it was my issue as I had got use to shooting 1lb triggers all day then the last rifle I shoot has a 3.5lb trigger.

Quote form the article just fyi

I received many emails from the Day1 testing about the cleaning procedure and fouling shots between brands of ammunition. This time between each groupings of shots a bore snake lubricated with frog lube was pulled through the bore twice. Then 10 fouling shots were fired with the exact same ammunition before firing the official 5 shot grouping.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
kahrguy

My savage took a good 500 rounds to settle down on the fliers. Wished I had tried some tubb final finsh ammo on it. I have the trigger down to right at 1lb but not a good trigger . Kinda mushy. Rifle basix in the future . It shoots better, well tighter average than yours but it took a while to get there. And I have 6-24 scope to help too.

I have a home brewed 10/22, an older 10lb + rifle , 20" kidd barrel , boyds stock, some kidd reciever small parts, jard 1lb trigger and blocked a bedded. Shoots like your kidd when I have a good day and the same 6-24 scope. Last pile of wolf I bought was not as good. Thats the way rimfire seems to go.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Mr.RevolverGuy

That is good news to hear about the Savage.

What 6-24 scope are you using?

Do you have the tool needed to adjust the trigger. Unfortunately mine is now misplaced may have to call Savage.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:47 PM   #11
kahrguy

Tools for me at that time I had one diamond files so used some 1000 and 1500 grit wet dry paper wet with breakfree clp as a wet and a old ss scapper as a back up for the paper. A set of small screw drives will let find the right one for me adjust the rear spring for tension. Lost my little tool also.

This is the basic info I used to tune my trigger. There also some newer to me video about prestageing the accublade and loading it on the sear then pulling bottom of the trigger and get a lighter pull yet, low 5 or 6 oz. Got to try that yet.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ger+lightening

Scope, Don't laught !! I bought one of these for my 10/22 when prices were lower but not at this price and found over time it work very well and order a second for the savage when the close out first started about a 1+ ago. Don't know if midways has any left in close out or not. But a couple have showed on ebay.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962...m_vc=CyberMon2