The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 21, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
hhunter318

Mississippi Enhanced Concealed Carry

I've read up on the subject and have become interested in getting the enhanced version of the regular CCW. Basically from what I've gathered after obtaining your Concealed Carry permit, you take a firearm safety course through an organization that is supported by the Department of Public Safety and you take your certificate of completion to the DPS for them to place an endorsement on the back of your permit. I've heard there is alot of fine print in this House Bill and I was just curious if anyone could give a little more in depth insight on the subject. Thanks in advance.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
zoomie

Handgunlaw has good info on it, including a list of instructors you can call for more info.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf
Old July 15, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Doug Bowser

I am connected with a gun club in Mississippi and we conduct NRA Personal Protection in the Home Classes. We are approved by the State of Mississippi to teach the class for enhnced concealed carry permits. We feel the Personal protection Class is more suited to self defense training than the regular NRA Basic Pistol Course. PM me for more info

Doug Bowser

Last edited by Doug Bowser; July 15, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old July 15, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Hmmm ... from www.handgunlaw.us

Quote:
Note: I have been told by the Head of the Firearms Permit Unit in Mississippi that you must have the endorsement on the reverse of your Permit/License to be legal in the Off Limits Places described in the New Law. That Non-Residents can not obtain an Endorsement and are restricted from carrying in all places listed in Mississippi Law.
Interesting. From what I see on Handgunlaw, the basic carry permit has NO training requirement, and since the law calls for a class in safe gun handling (not self defense), it would seem that the NRA Basic Pistol class would meet the requirement. That's a prerequisite to getting a carry permit in my state and in many other states, so it seems a bit discriminatory to rule that a Mississippi resident who took that class gets to carry into prohibited venues, but those of us from other states who took the exact same class are NOT allowed to carry in those places.

We need full national reciprocity, and we need it yesterday.