The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 22, 2018, 03:06 PM   #26
UncleEd

The automatic pistol is a passing fad.

The people who prefer, lean toward, like
or choose an automatic pistol are the
same ones who put sauerkraut on their
chocolate pudding and wear white socks
to a formal black tie occasion.
Old June 22, 2018, 03:39 PM   #27
K_Mac

So what's your point Uncle? For the record, I've reached the age and temperament where I don't really care what anyone thinks of my choices in food, clothing, or firearms. I am also perfectly willing to accept your right to be wrong.
Old June 22, 2018, 03:50 PM   #28
2ndsojourn

I'd carry a polished SS 3" Colt Python revolving pistol.
Old June 22, 2018, 03:52 PM   #29
USSR

Quote:
So what's your point Uncle? For the record, I've reached the age and temperament where I don't really care what anyone thinks of my choices in food, clothing, or firearms.
I think it's a little thing called "humor".

Don
Old June 22, 2018, 04:00 PM   #30
K_Mac

Don, my use of smileys indicates my understanding of Uncle's humor and my attempt at the same. I'm glad you cleared it up for any not paying attention though.
Old June 22, 2018, 04:12 PM   #31
UncleEd

Mac, USSR,

You're both wrong. I was being
dead serious.

On the other hand......
Old June 22, 2018, 04:19 PM   #32
K_Mac

I guess I'm just in a festive mood. The "revolving pistol" comment also makes me smile!
Old June 22, 2018, 04:49 PM   #33
Nanuk

Quote:
Shooting a DA revolver quickly and accurately requires a lot of work, a lot more than an auto, and I don't see the need to put in the extra work to master a less-effective weapon.
I guess you never saw anyone shot with a 357 magnum.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 22, 2018, 05:38 PM   #34
K_Mac

Nanuk, I will accept that full house .357 packs more of a punch than my preferred 9 mm. My ability to shoot quickly and accurately is greater with my semiautomatic 9s though, making them much more effective for me.

No, I've never seen anyone shot with a. 357. I have studied the available data and have concluded I am more likely to survive a lethal encounter with a 9 mm that I shoot well than a .357 that I don't that holds half the rounds and takes twice (or more) the time to reload. .357 misses are much less effective that hits with a 9 mm. Yes, I know that some think the .357 magnum is the hammer of God when it comes to stopping bad guys. I have heard the anecdotal evidence of one shot stops of people, animals, and the occasional vehicle. I've never seen any real evidence that it's superior to 9 mm, .40 or .45 for surviving a gun fight using modern ammunition.

And yes, I know that some of you are so good that 5 or 6 rounds of .357 is more than enough to stop multiple attackers in any encounter. It is interesting to me that the more I know and the better I get, the less confident I am of that.
Old June 22, 2018, 05:57 PM   #35
UncleEd

Well, the FBI statistics indicate most gunfights are
over in 2.5 rounds average.

That's why I carry 3 to give myself an edge.

And now back to the average shooters to debate
wheel guns vs. bottom feeders.
Old June 22, 2018, 06:17 PM   #36
RickB

Quote:
Shooting a DA revolver quickly and accurately requires a lot of work, a lot more than an auto, and I don't see the need to put in the extra work to master a less-effective weapon.

I guess you never saw anyone shot with a 357 magnum.
Six howling 125s that miss, or arrive too late, aren't of much use.
Old June 22, 2018, 06:56 PM   #37
CLYA

Wife and I, just switched from semi-auto's, to the Ruger LCR .38 Special revolvers. I picked up the x model with the exposed hammer, and hers is the shrouded model. I can't help it, if I've had a bunch of revolvers over the last 45 years, and still like them!
Old June 22, 2018, 07:57 PM   #38
Kirosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Incredibly lazy way of thinking.

----------------

I carry both, am proficient with both and I'm nothing special in ability or intelligence.

There are so few situations that actually require a higher capacity or a few seconds faster reload that you can, with any truth, say that a revolver is a poor SD platform. 90% of the time, if you pull a weapon and defend yourself, the attacker will retreat. The 10% left over,

You shoot first. Be proficient enough with your gun to shoot accurately. Revolver or Semi, both work.

They shoot first, first proper response is to get to cover while drawing your weapon. If need be, shoot back forcing them to get to cover or be less accurate in their own shooting. Revolver or Semi, both work fine.

Statistics showing a revolver holds enough rounds to get the job done, why do you need so many rounds without a reload?

7+1 semi has 1 more round then a seven shot .357. If you can't finish it in 7, is 1 more gonna manage it?

All of this said, I am a proponent of "I'd rather I have it and not need it..." but a revolver is still a fine SD choice.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old June 22, 2018, 10:59 PM   #39
K_Mac

Kirosha your "incredibly lazy way of thinking" comment was not directed at me, but since I am in complete agreement with RickB I will respond. I seriously doubt that you can shoot a .357 of suitable size for carry with magnum rounds as fast and accurately as you or many of us here can shoot 9 mm. Why? Because a DA .357 is not an easy handgun to shoot fast and accurately. Can it be done? Sure. There are some who can achieve amazing results with a .357 revolver. I don't know any though. I know quite a few guys who have great skills and abilities with handguns for self defense. Great bullseye shots with revolvers, and quite passable at rapid fire on multiple targets. None of them carry revolvers.

Now let's address the notion that with ninja-like skills one can probably survive a gunfight with a revolver. I agree. Truth is most of us will never need a handgun, much less fire one in self defense. In a very high percentage of cases a revolver will be perfectly adequate. The problem is sometimes shooting is required and when that happens it is not unusual for multiple shots to be needed, and there certainly are shootings where more than 6 or 7 rounds are needed to end hostilities. Yes, statistically an insignificant number...unless you are the guy.

It is not lazy for me to use what works best. The time and money I spend on shooting my self defense handguns is spent there. Could I learn to shoot my .357 faster and more accurately? Yes. Could I learn to reload faster? Absolutely. Could I ever learn to shoot it as fast or accurately as my daily carry semiautomatic? Not a chance. Reloads? Forgetaboutit!

In summary: "Shooting a DA revolver quickly and accurately requires a lot of work, a lot more than an auto, and I don't see the need to put in the extra work to master a less-effective weapon." Thanks RickB.
Old June 22, 2018, 11:28 PM   #40
amd6547

Let's ignore, for a moment, the specious argument that the 357mag is "hard to master"..
After all, 357 isn't the only choice in revolvers. There are moon clipped 9mm revolvers, for example.
Also, many here seem to think a light weight snub is the only carry revolver.
Tonight, I stepped out with a Model 10 tapered 4" 38spl carried iwb, loaded with Gold Dot 135gn +P. I felt pretty well armed.
Old June 23, 2018, 12:20 AM   #41
Kirosha

There are no "ninja like skills", it is called common sense. You don't stand there and shoot. You try to protect yourself with a hard surface between you and the bad guy. This allows you the extra time to reload and negates a need for rapid fire cause he'll either get behind cover too or die from calm, accurate shots from the revolver. The less-effective part of this has literally stemmed down to less capacity and your inability to shoot it accurately.

I'm not against the pistol. I'm against the idea that the revolver is less effective in real world situations. I think we've all expressed our opinions on the matter thoroughly enough. I'll finish though by asking, how do you know? "Shooting a DA revolver quickly and accurately requires a lot of work, a lot more than an auto, and I don't see the need to put in the extra work to master a less-effective weapon." If you don't feel like putting the time in, obviously you can't know if it is so difficult to run one. Watching YouTube will never answer the question of what you yourself can do.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old June 23, 2018, 12:29 AM   #42
K_Mac

amd6547, let's start with the original post. The OP asked about .357 revolvers compared to 9 mm pistols. Introducing .38 or 9 mm revolvers to the discussion lacks merit. I suppose you could even say it is a specious argument, though that might be considered insulting by some. You can contend that a .357 magnum is not more difficult to master than a similarly sized 9 mm semiautomatic but that doesn't make it so for most of the shooting world.

Your model 10 may make you feel like Batman, but that isn't necessarily so either. You would certainly be better armed with a 9 mm and 10-18 rounds in a smaller and lighter package. Probably be faster and more accurate as well if you are willing to compare. Either way it makes no difference to me.
Old June 23, 2018, 03:26 AM   #43
Cosmodragoon

When wardrobe imposes more serious size restrictions, I'll always choose the LCR over a pocket-ready semi-auto. In that size class, the LCR is easy enough to carry and is relatively comfortable to shoot. Five shots might not be enough for everyone but in .327 Federal, it's a reasonably powerful six-shooter that doesn't kick quite as hard as .357 magnum.

When size restrictions are lessened, capacity makes the decision for me. Fifteen is just too much more than six or seven. In the winter time, I'm almost always carrying a full-sized semi-auto.
Old June 23, 2018, 07:02 AM   #44
amd6547

I’ve carried lots of different handguns...HiPower, G17, G26, 1911...none of them made me “feel like Batman”, but maybe you are projecting your inner psychosis, K Mac. All I said was that I felt well armed with a 4” 38spl, loaded with one of the best current 38spl loads.
I’ve never felt the need for a super light weight 357mag snub, but I have carried a 2.5” Model 19, which I found easy to shoot full power magnum ammo in.
My current carry is a 3” GP100.
Double action revolver shooting is not nearly as difficult as some would paint it. People with no training whatsoever have been shooting other people with them for over a century.
I’m not a cop, it is not my job to go forth, running to the sound of the guns, glad to have my G17 and multiple spare mags. I’m a private citizen protecting myself and my family. A good quality 357 with a couple speedloaders does that for me in real world fashion unrelated to comic books heroes.
Frankly, I was carrying the 9mm HiPower when most cops carried revolvers, so I like the nine and know it’s limitations and capabilities.
Fact is, any handgun is a compromise, and I’d rather have a 12ga pump loaded with buckshot if I needed to protect myself (cue the whining about how hard the riot gun is to master).
Old June 23, 2018, 07:18 AM   #45
Nanuk

K Mac,
you need to get rid of the notion that just because you can't nobody can. I carried a 357 mag into harms way for 2 decades and have seen hundreds of people shot with different things. I shot PPC many years ago and compete in IDPA with revolvers and my Glock. When I do carry a Glock it is not a 9mm, it is a 357 Sig.
Old June 23, 2018, 07:22 AM   #46
UncleEd

The best way to settle this VERSUS
discussion:

All you guys with autos line up and
face all you guys with revolvers,
9 mm vs. 357. At 8 feet distance
in a darkened alley.

Upon the whistle, you all draw and
proceed to shoot autos toward
revolver guys and revolver guys
toward auto guys until we have
winners and losers.

I'll abide by whatever the outcome
is. Call me at Joe's Tavern when
you're done.
Old June 23, 2018, 07:44 AM   #47
Nanuk

Quote:
The best way to settle this VERSUS
discussion:

All you guys with autos line up and
face all you guys with revolvers,
9 mm vs. 357. At 8 feet distance
in a darkened alley.

Upon the whistle, you all draw and
proceed to shoot autos toward
revolver guys and revolver guys
toward auto guys until we have
winners and losers.

I'll abide by whatever the outcome
is. Call me at Joe's Tavern when
you're done.
In your attempt at humor you have played the trump card. At a certain point It is about the individual, not the tool.
Old June 23, 2018, 07:46 AM   #48
K_Mac

Gentlemen, I never said that I was not proficient with a .357 revolver. I've been shooting revolvers for years and can hold my own. What I have said is I'm better with a semi, and that is true of everyone I know. It is certainly true of every new shooter I've ever seen once speed is added to the picture. I simply understand that for me, and most everyone else, time spent training and practicing is best done with a semi.

AMD a GP100 is a solid chunk of iron. I shoot mine from time to time. I even carry it in the woods on occasion. It is not a concealed carry handgun for me. And yes, a semiautomatic carbine is much easier to use than 12 gauge pump for most.
Old June 23, 2018, 08:05 AM   #49
PushPuller

I don't want to get into this debate because I don't feel I am sufficiently knowledgably about revolvers or .357s to give a solid argument, but I have to say that in an imaginary gunfight between a good guy with a revolver and moderate DA revolver experience, and a street thug with a semi auto 9mm. Id bet the good guy wins!

However with my level of wheel gun experience I should probably just opt for the semi. My confidence in my skill with a revolver is very little.
Old June 23, 2018, 12:13 PM   #50
RickB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB

Incredibly lazy way of thinking.
Twenty years of weekly experience as a shooter and observer.
75,000+ rounds downrange, while alternating among autos and revolvers (including winning an IDPA state championship shooting a revolver).
Wow me with your qualifications for judging my laziness?