The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 21, 2017, 06:30 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Savage 12FV (6.5Creedmoor) Review

Saturday night the words "shut up, and take my money were spoken by me." I take a look at one in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has a price of $419 with a $100 mail in rebate. Handling it made me think of my Model 12 FSSV in .223Rem.( That rifle makes me look good without much effort.) I was going to buy a far more expensive rifle, and scope. I had them put on a tall set of scope rings as I have long neck, and get pains from scrunching my neck to look through a scope. A 6-24x50 scope.

For ammo I purchased a single box of 140 grain Nosler BT. I hand load so I picked up a can of IMR 8208 XBR, and One can of Alliant Reloader 15. Three hundred 140 grain Hornady ELD Match, and two hundred 130 grain ELD Match. 100 Hornady cases, and a thousand S&B LR primers.

I took the rifle home, and cleaned it, and removed the pacing grease from it. A few passes down the barrel with a lightly oiled patch netted a clean patch. So A few dry patches, and I cased it up for the night.

Some information on the rifle: it is a heavy varmint barrel. The weight is 8.75 pounds empty with no scope. With the large scope I put on it I am guesstimating around 11 pounds. I will add a bipod to it soon as well. The barrel is 26 inches long. The stock is the low end synthetic. The barrel is free floated. It has the adjustable AccuTrigger. The factory pull measured on a trigger scale at just a tick over 3 pounds. I lightened it up with the supplied tool, After 15 minutes of dry fire the pull measured at 1 pound 4 ounces. Capacity is 4 plus one with a blind internal magazine.

For the initial sight in I went to the 25 yard line and put 3 shots out of it. All 3 went into a near caliber sized hole that was 2 inches right, and 2 inches low. 8 clicks up 16 left put it to dead center and inch low on the next shot. I then moved to the 100 yard line. The wind was moving the target board quite a bit as the wind was behind it at 25 mph sustained, and gust of 35 were frequent, and more than few hats, and unweighted cases went flying away. Groups were still impressive to me. I find them to be outstanding for the conditions, and the fact that they were put into a moving target at 100 yards using a bench rest that has seen better years.

A picture of the rifle.

A picture of the load development targets. this was 2 groups of 4 shots each. After the first 4 I corrected the scope for one inch right and one inch down.

The load was using IMR8208XBR and 140 grain Hornady ELD Match. Primers were CCI 200. I do not have a chrono so I have no idea what the actual velocity was. It is a middle of the road load. 4 sources list the max at 2 or more grains higher. My data was from Nosler.

Yesterday I had enough time to stop at the range with the wind a little more calm. 3 shot group at 100 yards off of sand bags. Cold bore shot, and two more right behind it at about 10 seconds for intervals. I stopped there as the sun was going down, and I had to get home, and eat dinner.
Old November 21, 2017, 06:55 PM   #2
RC20

Now all you need to do is get a nice Boyds Laminated stock for it!

Good setup, has the top bolt release (TBR) that is favored by the ones that work with these a lot. Hate the BBR.

Does it have the segmented nut or the smooth nut?

I may pick one of those up, wrecks my 30 caliber collection if I do though.

Barrels tend to be a bit rough and take some cleaning. Rough does not affect accuracy, just makes harder to clean (one of my customs barrel is somewhat rough and same thing)

You might try Carbon Killer 2000 (CK2k)

I clean mine warm from shooting, nylong brush and use an eye dropper to apply before going in (not soaking)

Then on the other end I soak the nylon good and run it back and forth 3 or 5 times

Last time out the end I soak it good and then bring it out.

Dry patch, takes about 5 of those cycles to get a clean barrel.
Old November 21, 2017, 07:52 PM   #3
ed308

I don't know. He's getting good groups with that Savage stock. I don't care for a Savage stocks. I need to upgrade to a better stock before I can shoot a group that tight.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:38 PM   #4
jmr40

Your target photos aren't showing. At least not now, but I'm betting it is a good shooter.

Quote:
I need to upgrade to a better stock before I can shoot a group that tight.
Spend your money on more ammo and practice. Changing the stock won't make any difference in group size. I have rifles with expensive McMillan stocks, and others with cheap plastic injection molded stocks like the one on the Savage. I've never noted any difference in accuracy after going to the high end stocks. In fact my Ruger American rifles with the cheap plastic stocks out shoot some $1000+ guns I own with expensive stocks on them.

I never bought a stock expecting better accuracy. The rifle has to prove it will shoot before I'm spending $600 on a stock. I buy them because I like them better, think they look better, and I like the weight reduction in most cases. I've seen way too many of those cheap stocks shoot tiny groups.

Winston Churchill
Old November 21, 2017, 08:54 PM   #5
ed308

I guess I'm the one case that switching out a stock works. An MDT Chassie made a difference in my groups with my Savage 10T. I never felt comfortable with the Accustock.
Old November 21, 2017, 09:03 PM   #6
bedlamite

I picked one up two months ago when Cabela's had them $100 off, and there was a $100 mail in rebate . It doesn't have the Accustock and the barrel nut is notched, not smooth.
Old November 22, 2017, 08:12 AM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

Sorry about tbe group pics not showing up. Photobucket seems to think I can not share my own pictures. The worst group was just over an inch for a 10 shot group. Three 4 shot groups were quarter to half MOA.

I am going to stick witb the stock on the rifle for now. I would rather spend the money on reloading components. I am not going to be hunting with it anytime soon. I would like to try some long range with it later on. Though that is going to require an hour of driving each way if traffic is good. (Almost never ever is.)

Next time I go to the range I will take my wife's camera for group pics. 8208 with 140 grain Match bullets seems to a good combo. I am going to try some 130 Grain bullets at some point as well.
Old November 22, 2017, 05:36 PM   #8
RickD1225

Cabela’s has them on sale now for $369.99, plus the $100rebate. I am going to pick up a 6.5 creedmoor for that price.
Old November 22, 2017, 05:46 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

Rick it is a great rifle for any money. The low cost will allow you to spend on upgrades like better scope, mounts, and rail. Also if you reload then dies, brass, bullets, primers, and powder.

I was looking hard at the 112 Magnum Target. The thing is 98% or more of my shooting is done at 100 yards. I do not hunt anymore these days. So that leaves paper punching, and the rare event that a friend in the rural areas asks me to help with predator control. I wanted the ability to stretch out for 500 plus yards if I decide to take the hour long drive each way to shoot long range. The thing is I did not want to spend $3 a round for shooting at 100 yards. I can not afford to do that for long with my income level.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:02 PM   #10
jetinteriorguy

I picked mine up back in late September in 6.5 CM, on sale for $319.00 with a $100.00 rebate. Unbelievable deal on a rifle that easily shoots .5-.7 MOA out of the box. Even factory ammo was extremely good, but my handloads are just almost too easy.