The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2015, 11:25 PM   #1
JimDandy

Gun Safe, Hole in the back with pink showing, and electrical power.

We picked up a Sports Afield SA6040P (and that P is important we found out) from Costco on the very cheap. The P however meant that it didn't have an electrical outlet and USB (that none of us really cared about) inside. There is, however a perfectly round hole at the bottom right of the back wall of the safe that shows pink insulation.

Am I correct in assuming that's there for an electrical option?

Can we do-it-yourself - drill the insulation, install an electrical box inside? Is there another step? A rubber gasket for the wire at the steel wall, but what about some sort of fireproofing chalk I'm hearing about elsewhere?
Old January 15, 2015, 11:40 AM   #2
CowTowner

You could contact the manufacturer and see if they will provide a materials list for the DIY project. That way you might be able to avoid invalidating any warranty by modifying the safe.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 15, 2015, 12:05 PM   #3
Pahoo

It is !!

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that's there for an electrical option?
Absolutely as it is understood that you need an the option of installing and internal "Golden-Rod" or similar element. .....

I installed an electrical bushing/cord connector with rubber grommet, ran my SO cord inside and not only does it power up my Rod but a small fluorescent fixture. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 16, 2015, 02:50 AM   #4
JimDandy

Heard from Sports Afield. Apparently Costco did a number on them and they're getting swamped with complaints about this safe not having all the bells and whistles people were expecting so they (Sports Afield) are mailing out giftcards and retrofit electrical kits to just about anybody who calls and complains - or at least that's the impression I got. What they're not yet doing is sending out the door organizer kit. The CSR is supposed to phone us back tomorrow with more details.