The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 10, 2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Japle

TruGlo scope problems - no surprise!

Several months ago, I was putting in an order to Natchez and picked up a TruGlo 8-32X44mm scope on a whim.
I know, it’s a cheap scope ($70), but I thought I might have a use for it someday.

I just completed a custom Remington 700 in .280 and installed the TruGlo for load testing. On the 51st shot, the thing went out of focus. I cranked the front focus adjustment and got it looking pretty good, but the 52nd shot killed the thing. Not possible to focus at any power setting at any range, and the image is distorted in such a way that I think one of the lenses is crooked.

Natchez will replace it at no charge if I ship it back (that’s fair), but that model was a limited run, so I’ll get a 6-24X44mm instead. In the meantime, I ordered a Nikon 4.5-14X40mm SF scope which ought to stand up to the mild recoil of a .280.

TruGlo is NOT recommended!
Old July 12, 2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Huffmanite

No, I would not recommend the Tru-Glow model scope you've mentioned to anyone I like. LOL, own a couple of them myself. I don't hunt, just shoot paper and occasionally come home from a gun show or pawnshop with an inexpensive centerfire rifle that needs some tender loving care and a scope. So, have a couple of the Natchez cheapo Tru Glows in the higher power range mounted on rifles. Bought them both over 3 years ago at least. Optics are adequate for my 100 yd target shooting and the windage/elevation turrets function OK, but hard to feel the clicks and etc.

Not sure how many rounds I've fired with the scopes mounted on some rifle with a mild to mid recoil....mid being a 30-06. They've been on more than one rifle during time I've owned them, but I'd hazard/guess at least two to three hundred rounds have been fired with each one mounted.
Old July 14, 2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

Yep, TruGlo should stick to fiber optic pistol and shotgun sights.

Their "glass" (using the term loosely) is UNMITIGATED junk.