The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 30, 2000, 12:23 AM   #1
John Gelt

Hi,

I have a JC Higgins model 25 that I picked up for next to nothing, therefore the condition was also next to nothing.

I think I can do the work that's needed to get it back in shape, but first I need to get hold of the schematic or plans for it so I can see how the action, bolt assembly, extractor and ejectors work.

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

John
Old December 30, 2000, 07:43 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

John:
If my memory serves, is this also the Sears model 25? If so I have some disassem on the piece. Can someone clairify this model. I can't seem to locate it in my crossover informaton.

HJN
Old December 30, 2000, 11:56 AM   #3
John Gelt

The JC Higgins Model 25 in question also has a Sears & Roebuck stamp on it as well.

If standard gunspeak for that model is Sears vs. JC Higgins, could explain why I couldn't find a reference for it anywhere.

John Gelt
Old December 30, 2000, 02:43 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

John:
If you'll provide an email address I'll send what I have. There are some photos so you should be able to determine if it is the same.

HJN
Old December 31, 2000, 10:01 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, guys,

FWIW, I find that gun also listed as the High Standard 1041, 102A carbine, and Apache AP422. It was made by High Standard and was basically a copy of the Savage 6A semi-auto.

Gun Parts Corp (www.gunpartscorp.com) lists the gun under the High Standard number and appears to have most of the parts.

The books show the standard "Field" model in 100% condition at only $100, with the Special, Carbine, and Deluxe models up to around $200. But that is in new condition and functioning. Unfortunately, many do not work, and may not really be worth fixing. As to my experience in trying to repair dozens of them, I feel I can get along very well if I never see one of those or one of its Savage/Stevens/Springfield cousins again.

Jim