The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 2, 2021, 08:07 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

Most expensive % retail increase gun vs pre pandemic

A game. The most over priced gun right now. See if you can beat the next while not using obscure sources.

#1 Ruger 1773 GP100 7rnd 6"@ $1,200 at Vizards. 100% price increase.

All version of the GP100 are cheaper at 6". Always been true for the blue or stainless versions. At $1,200, that is more than double for what the GP100 1771 4" GP100 with the new 7rnd cylinder.

I believe this means the GP100 7rnd 6" is one of if not the most overpriced gun on the retail market based on it's 100% price increase.
Old November 2, 2021, 12:07 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Just out of curiosity, is that price Ruger MSRP or what a particular retailer is charging?
Old November 2, 2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Ricklin

And?

The laws of supply and demand do not change. I chose recently to sell my motorcycle, one reason? I got about 500 bucks more for it due to the current non availability of new.
I enjoyed a nice profit, the guy that bought it is also happy.

Vote with your billfold. or pay the price asked. There is not a third alternative.

My business is going well right now, I have product, some of my competitors do not.
I will take advantage of that fact, and drive a higher margin on that product stock I have. My Admin. team busted their hump to get me that product.

Look at the big picture. My customer is thrilled to get the product NOW, his advantage is installing the Eq. this year. Even when I drive a higher margin for my company, the customer is happy.
Old November 4, 2021, 09:25 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
A game. The most over priced gun right now. See if you can beat the next while not using obscure sources.

#1 Ruger 1773 GP100 7rnd 6"@ $1,200 at Vizards. 100% price increase.

All version of the GP100 are cheaper at 6". Always been true for the blue or stainless versions. At $1,200, that is more than double for what the GP100 1771 4" GP100 with the new 7rnd cylinder.

I believe this means the GP100 7rnd 6" is one of if not the most overpriced gun on the retail market based on it's 100% price increase.
Panic buying leading to an exhausted supply chain in this particular industry. Plus inflation. We don't know where inflation will go, at what pace. (What, you think trillions of $US can be magiced out of the air without consequence?) Plus the general supply chain problems we see right now, which would drive prices up even in the absence of inflation of the money supply.

Ruger introduced a new LCR a bit ago. (I think, the 3" .357 LCRx.) I was shocked at what the MSRP had gone up to.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 4, 2021, 11:05 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

Appears the normally priced for a decade of $600 GP100 now has a Ruger MSRP of $1039.00.

Ruger. You're drunk.
Old November 7, 2021, 11:11 AM   #6
reddog81

There are a number of sites that are selling GP100’s for $700 to $800.

When and where could you find the 1773 model for $600? It’s probably been a while since ruger made that specific model so the very limited number of retailers that have them in stock can charge a high price in hopes someone thinks they need that exact model.
Old November 7, 2021, 11:53 AM   #7
Ruger45LC

I've had a number of GP100's and pre Plandemic, stainless GP's were about 625-650. Before the plandemic they did rise a little to around 675ish. Now stainless GP's at Buds are easily $800+ dollar guns. I've also noticed that many guns they're selling for over MSRP.
Old November 9, 2021, 10:39 AM   #8
RickB

Two local, independent, "brick and mortar" gun stores, a couple of miles apart, had new Colt Pythons in stock. One had them (they had three) tagged $1300 in January, and the other had theirs tagged $2600 in October.

In January, I may have paid $1300 for a 6" model, but all were 4.2", and I'm not paying $2600 for anything that merely shoots bullets.
Old December 5, 2021, 11:54 AM   #9
NeverEnough

Years ago, I bought a Maverick 88 for $75. Local shop wants $300 for one right now. Hard pass.

Paid same price for a Hi-Point carbine. Now they are also $300+. Pass!
Old December 24, 2021, 01:28 PM   #10
Jcon72

S&W Shields; pre-pandemic I bought my Shield .45 for $220 after rebate; now you gotta plan on easily $450-500.
Old December 24, 2021, 06:03 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Ruger revolvers have certainly spiked in price since before the pandemic. My belief is that people are comfortable with Ruger quality to the extent they are willing to pay as much for one as a S&W, even if they still feel the S&W is a superior product.

These would be casual gun people, not hardcores like us. They rely on brand names and Ruger is a name that commands respect. Let's just hope that hubris doesn't get into the heads of management at Ruger, that's where the downward spiral begins.
Old December 25, 2021, 07:25 PM   #12
Pumpkin

Bread and Butter JM Marlin 336’s.
Also, the Glenfield Marlins
Old December 25, 2021, 07:34 PM   #13
Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Ruger revolvers have certainly spiked in price since before the pandemic. My belief is that people are comfortable with Ruger quality to the extent they are willing to pay as much for one as a S&W, even if they still feel the S&W is a superior product.

These would be casual gun people, not hardcores like us. They rely on brand names and Ruger is a name that commands respect. Let's just hope that hubris doesn't get into the heads of management at Ruger, that's where the downward spiral begins.
Downward spiral already has, it’s called sleeved barrels on Redhawks.
Old December 26, 2021, 07:19 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Downward spiral already has, it’s called sleeved barrels on Redhawks.
Not looking for an argument, just curious. What’s wrong with sleeved barrels?
Old December 26, 2021, 09:11 AM   #15
Pumpkin

Charter Arms has used this method for years.
Cost cutting, no doubt.
S&W does it on some models to end up with a stronger forcing cone, save weight.
The Redhawk was a fine brute of a gun. I love it, I refuse to accept they started doing this for improving accuracy.
Just my feelings.
Old December 26, 2021, 09:18 AM   #16
Pumpkin

Saves Ruger mega bucks not having to machine the barrels so they line up with the frame.
Old December 26, 2021, 12:58 PM   #17
Jcon72

Didn't Dan Wesson use a similar technique with their swappable barrels? I've never heard any complaints about those.
Old December 26, 2021, 03:15 PM   #18
Pumpkin

Totally different setup. Made for interchanging barrels and allegedly increased accuracy because the barrel was in tension.
S&W and Ruger do not do this for the same reason.
Old December 26, 2021, 04:05 PM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

So because you believe their goal is reducing cost, you also believe that the sleeved barrel approach can't provide any advantages? I don't see how that makes sense.

For example, there's no question that polymer frames were introduced to reduce cost, but that didn't stop them from providing other benefits like being corrosion proof, light weight, etc.
Old December 26, 2021, 04:08 PM   #20
Pumpkin

Then why aren’t more heavy barreled target guns done this way?
Old December 26, 2021, 04:09 PM   #21
Pumpkin

What advantage should we expect?
Old December 26, 2021, 04:34 PM   #22
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Then why aren’t more heavy barreled target guns done this way?
Why is 1" at 50 yards exemplary accuracy for a handgun but terrible for a target rifle? Trying to compare heavy-barreled target rifles to handguns in just about any way doesn't make sense.

That said, the concept of tensioned barrels does show up in rifles, but implemented quite differently.
Quote:
What advantage should we expect?
I think you probably know better than I do, but I'll humor you.

Once the barrel is just a simple tube, you can use hammer forging to rifle it which provides some benefits. Ruger is doing that with at least some of their sleeved revolver barrels.

You eliminate barrel clocking issues seen on some new revolvers from the factory.

There's some weight reduction which can be a benefit in some models.

Tensioning the barrel can result in improved accuracy.
Old December 26, 2021, 04:50 PM   #23
Pumpkin

I’ll humor you.
Charter Arms Bulldog.
Excellent use of the “not to be removed” sleeved barrel.
Old December 26, 2021, 04:56 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

I tried to find the humor but couldn't. In fact, I can't even see what relevance your post has to anything I said.
Old December 26, 2021, 05:20 PM   #25
Pumpkin

Okay, so answer me this.
Why don’t Super RedHawks employ sleeved barrels?
Super Blackhawks, Contenders......
It is done to save money, you know too.