The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2020, 08:06 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Why no love for the Kimber EVO?

Last year I rented and shot a new Kimber EVO and found it was one of the most impressive small pistols I've ever run. Its metal construction gave it some decent heft, it was very well balanced, had very little recoil and I was able to point very naturally with it. I loved the thing. Everything but the $900 price tag.

Yesterday I saw the same model new at Cabela's for $560. I'm guessing prices are falling because nobody wants to pay $900 for a 7-round pistol these days. I'm tempted to get one. The fit, finish and feel of the Solo just really stands apart from any non-1911 style subcompact gun I've shot. I'm a fan of many like the PPS, Shield, XDS, etc. but they all feel plasticky next to the Kimber.

Anyone else tried one? Own one? Think they'll catch on more now if prices are coming down?

Very few holsters are available for this model, so it can't be a very strong seller so far.
Old July 23, 2020, 09:24 AM   #2
HighValleyRanch

I loved the look and feel of the original Kimber solo. My friend decided to sell his, so I had a chance to get one, but after reading all the reviews about its jammomatic qualities and experience jams every magazine, I passed on it.
Old July 23, 2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Catchabullet

Every experience I've had with one has been negative. Not a reliable system

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2020, 01:19 PM   #4
OhioGuy

With the EVO specifically, or all Kimber pistols generally?

Rob Pincus did some reviews of the EVO in which he declared it to basically be Kimber's redemption from the disaster that was the Solo. But that's just one review from one guy with one gun.

If the EVO does jam and break, it's gonna look really classy when it does...
Old July 23, 2020, 01:21 PM   #5
Catchabullet

I was referring to the solo previously brought up. Sorry should have specified.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2020, 08:56 PM   #6
jonnyc

"With the EVO specifically, or all Kimber pistols generally?"

For me, the latter. I've seen a lot of junk come out of Kimber. I wouldn't touch one.
Old July 24, 2020, 07:18 AM   #7
Snuffy308

The Solo is ammo specific and they tell you that going in. I’ve never had a problem with mind. It feeds and fires fine even with 115 gr. stuff which is not supposed to work in the Solo. Just another defective Kimber I suppose.
Old July 24, 2020, 07:22 AM   #8
ghbucky

A while back I bought into the Kimber propaganda and thought they were the end all be all of 1911. I picked up a used one, and while it shoots ok, it is a very finicky gun.

I have a very difficult time working up reloads for it and finally gave up and just shoot factory ammo out of it.

Come to think of it, this might be a great time to get rid of it.
Old July 24, 2020, 09:34 AM   #9
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
The Solo is ammo specific
What is the specific ammo they recommend and is it only one brands?
I was down to two that worked in my Seecamp, but was fine with that.
Old July 24, 2020, 04:30 PM   #10
JMag1

I hear the Evo is good to go, but peeps like plastic pistols with lots of boolits. I’d go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 24, 2020, 04:46 PM   #11
Drm50

I had original SOLO, took on trade and was mint and low count gun. Normally wouldn’t have shot it before trading off but had a 9mm Brn Comp & S&W 39 I wanted to shoot. Long story short Solo had no problems with Win 115g. All 3 guns had problems will Herters ammo from Cabelas. I have no use for gut busters so I traded it off. My Bro bought one new and is happy with it.
Old July 26, 2020, 05:37 AM   #12
Snuffy308

The company's testing results show that Federal Hydra-Shok JHP (jacketed hollow point) in 124 grain or 147 grain, Remington Golden Saber HPJ (high performance jacket) in 124 grain or 147 grain, or Hornady TAP (tactical application police) HP (hollow point) in 124 grain or 147 grain are the best performers.May 9, 2011

Source: www.policemag.com (Kimber solo carry)
When I carry it it’s loaded with golden saber.

It’s also recommended to refrain from using any 115 gr. but I’ve used it with no problems.
Old July 26, 2020, 08:32 PM   #13
Forte S+W

You pretty much figured it out yourself, $900 was just too much money, more than most were willing to spend. As for why it isn't more popular now after the price drop is because $575 is still more than most are willing to spend on a single stack, 7-shot pistol, especially when there are some very nice options available for around half the price.

Couple that with Kimber's iffy reputation from years passed which they haven't really been able to get away from, and you've got a gun that just isn't going to be a hot seller.
Old July 27, 2020, 07:44 AM   #14
Doyle

Because as much as Kimber builds a "pretty" gun, they just can't seem to build one that doesn't have functional issues. When you pay as much for a gun as you do for Kimber, it needs to be 100% reliable.
Old July 27, 2020, 07:51 AM   #15
CockNBama

Doyle, I know of one that they got right...
Old July 27, 2020, 08:38 AM   #16
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
"With the EVO specifically, or all Kimber pistols generally?"

For me, the latter. I've seen a lot of junk come out of Kimber. I wouldn't touch one.
√ √ √ √ √

Kimber spends too much money making it look good, not run good. Pretty can get you killed if you need it to work every time.
Old July 27, 2020, 09:09 AM   #17
rborgers

Picked up a Kimber EVO CDP last week at Bass Pro Shop for $539, it was $360 off the list price. It has the brightest front night sight I have seen. It is brighter than any of the Trijicon HD sights I have. The grip feels just right, aggressive without being to aggressive. This was not a gun I had planned to buy until I saw it on sale, but after taking it to the range yesterday I am glad I did. I had a Solo the EVO is nothing like the Solo. The Only the was reliable in the Solo was 124 gr Gold Dot’s. The EVO seems to feed anything I put through it.

I took it to the range yesterday and put 250 rounds through it of assorted ammo, 90gr to 147 gr FMJ and JHP. The only issue I had was with one magazine that would not consistently lock the slide back. It was very pleasant to shoot and recoil was better than I expected.
Old August 9, 2020, 05:35 AM   #18
wmg1299

I’ve been curious about the EVO for awhile. The price is the only thing that has been holding me back. I am fortunate enough to have some disposable income, but I just can’t justify spending that kind of money for a 7-round CCW when there are so many quality pistols from other manufacturers that can get the job done in the $300-$400 range. If the price drops into the mid $400’s I may go ahead and pick one up.
Old August 11, 2020, 06:44 PM   #19
kenny53

I will admit there is not a Kimber I have met that I like. I have found them to be over hyped, over priced, and problematic. I would take a Rock Island or Kimber, but that's me.
Old August 12, 2020, 07:03 AM   #20
Snuffy308

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
I’ve been curious about the EVO for awhile. The price is the only thing that has been holding me back. I am fortunate enough to have some disposable income, but I just can’t justify spending that kind of money for a 7-round CCW when there are so many quality pistols from other manufacturers that can get the job done in the $300-$400 range. If the price drops into the mid $400’s I may go ahead and pick one up.
No, I don't carry mine anymore. I've got Glocks for that. It just gives be a certain pride of ownership due to the quality construction and beauty of the design. Agree it would be hard to lay out that kind of dust for a carry with very limited round capacity.