The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2020, 07:24 PM   #1
cw308

Reloading 223 for my AR15

Everything is hard to come by now so I just bought 1000 rounds of bulk American Eagle at .45¢ per. round. Will have to get into a system to keep some kind of inventory for now on . It's amazing how so few can create such a sh_t storm.. PS looked back at the company to see how many cases they had in inventory , none. They had 100 cases in stock two hours ago. Guess I lucked out this time.

Last edited by cw308; July 13, 2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old July 14, 2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Metal god

It’s very hard to find components right now . As long as Bidin stays way up in the polls I can’t imagine it gets any better soon and maybe not better for a year+ . I hate to say it because it contributes to the shortage but I’d buy when ever you find it . I lucked out early in the lockdown and was able to stock up on projectiles for multiple calibers . Then last month I came across 20lbs of different powders I’ve been needing. It seems I’m never happy with my stock on hand but I’m not to bad off right now .

I have more brass then I could possibly load in every cartridge I load for except 30-30 .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 14, 2020, 09:23 AM   #3
cw308

Metal
I'm in NY , this state is Gone to the dogs . The governor and mayor are a disgrace , real bottom feeders. Trying to pass a bill that all gun owners must have a separate insurance policy of one million dollars , trying every sleezy trick . I don't believe in the poles , 4 more years . I was lucky to even get 223 55gr. fmj American Eagle for .45¢ a round ,1000 lot. Was sold out in two hours. Will have my share of brass and when things loosen up? will stock up on primers , bullets and powder. I find it amazing that so few are trying to transform this country and most just stay silent and watch what happens . I'm at every Police ralley , Backing the Blue . Can't wait for November to stick it to them Again.

Chris
Old July 14, 2020, 09:35 PM   #4
Metal god

Quote:
I'm in NY , this state is Gone to the dogs .
Hey now , I'm in CA and I think we're racing you guys to the bottom :-(

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 15, 2020, 07:38 AM   #5
cw308

Sad race to be in, even sadder, most people stand there watching and do or say nothing. Grow a pair, America! I'm at every rally to back the police and push back at every loudmouth. From the sh_t hole NY.
Old July 15, 2020, 08:07 AM   #6
ms6852

My question is simple, this happened just a few short years ago during O'bama, why haven't people learned? I'm thinking the shortage comes from new buyers with a lot of then been democrats who will easily turn over their new found sense of security.

My wife asked me if we were fine with shooting supplies and I told her we're good for the next 20 years, she looked puzzled and said can you make it 25? That is how worried she is with this country.
Old July 15, 2020, 08:11 AM   #7
ghbucky

Quote:
My wife asked me if we were fine with shooting supplies and I told her we're good for the next 20 years, she looked puzzled and said can you make it 25? That is how worried she is with this country.
When the riots first started up, I told my wife I was thinking of getting a rifle. Now, she is not a gun person, she has never shot a gun in her life. So what happened next shocked me:

She handed me a flyer for a grand opening of a Sportsman's warehouse nearby that I had no idea about and pointed out that there were rifles on sale.
Old July 15, 2020, 10:03 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Let's keep on topic and minimize the dive into pure politics. I think we all know how they stand at this point. And please, no skirting the language filter by substituting characters or inventive re-spelling where the rest of the letters go. We mods are supposed to give you an infraction for doing that. For now, I'll leave it at this reminder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 15, 2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Twinsig

FWIW and for thread's sake, I'll be lighting off for the first time 2 ARs on Friday morning. One mid length, one carbine length using factory ammo for function testing and initial zeroing. Iron sights.
After that I'll load almost everything else and establish a decent cartridge, I hope.
I've certainly been cruising around in here for load recipe opinions, almost TMI...!
Recently stumbled upon a local country range, not exactly cheap but accessible 7 days, sun up- sun down. Chronograph friendly, idiots are quickly culled, main problem right now it's southern HEAT and mosquitoes!
Old July 15, 2020, 02:03 PM   #10
jpx2rk

I picked up a case of RF ammo for my ABRA rig a couple weeks ago, and they had a total of about 3 cases of that particular lot that shot well in my set up. I considered getting 2 cases of it to be on the safe side but it was a long ride back with the wife in the car with me, so.... I did stop at another GS and was able to pick up about 10 #'s of various powders that day as well. I feel like I'm good on primers for a good while but I pick up what's available even tho I'm not low on any. Projectiles are a bit touch & go on the 6x45 since it's a recent build, but I'm good on the other recent build (20 Practicial).
Old July 15, 2020, 06:16 PM   #11
hounddawg

I start stocking up at least 18 months before every election now, I remember crawling on the floor looking for a dropped primer back in 09. LGS looks like a corn field after a swarm of locusts went by, owner said this is worse than Sandy Hook. Oddly enough the primers were in good supply so I picked up a few sleeves of small rifle just to top off.
Old July 15, 2020, 07:14 PM   #12
cw308

Uncle
Wasn't trying to be sneaky with my _ , I'm finding it hard to substitute words or talk nice when someone hits you in the head with a bat . I'll try my best to speak of our sport , this China virus stops normal interaction with people and this forum allows me to talk with friends.
Old July 21, 2020, 11:27 AM   #13
Schlitz 45

Mrs Schlitz & I have been out shooting all but two weekends this year & started picking up 223 brass we've been finding & have well over 500 cases all cleaned/polished & ready to go. Ordered the Lee ultimate 223 die kit several weeks ago when it became available & had previously purchased 1000 Hornady 55 grain FMJ's. Loaded my first batch of 50 to try out last week & if the recipe is a good one I'll start cranking 'em out. Only loaded pistol cases before so I'm learning but it seems pretty easy, just not used to having to mess with case lube.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; July 21, 2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old July 23, 2020, 08:57 AM   #14
HiBC

The one recurring error that can mess up a batch of 223 or other bottle neck cartridges is running the seater die in the press to contact the shellholder.

Because the seater die is capable of crimping,doing this results in collapsed shoulder that may not be noticed till you have loaded 500 rds and the rounds get stuck 2/3 the way into the chamber.

Easy to avoid,...But it gets re-discovered regularly
Old July 23, 2020, 01:35 PM   #15
brasscollector

I think the best thing I've bought for loading for my AR15s is the Lyman MSR chamber block. Every piece of ammo I load for any of my semi autos goes into that block.