The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2020, 05:47 AM   #1
JLK

Silver Pigeon vs Citori

I am thinking about a new over under. I have it narrowed down between a Browning Citori or a Beretta Silver Pigeon .
I will be using it for trap. And it will be a 12 gauge.
Opinions please.
Old April 25, 2020, 08:21 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Having owned both, and they're both good guns, I'd have to go with the Citori. For me it was clearly better balanced and had overall better ergonomics. I just shot better with it.
Old April 25, 2020, 08:27 AM   #3
stuckinthe60s

will they be bonified trap guns?
and when you say trap...do you mean regulation trap or a flinger in a back yard?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old April 25, 2020, 09:37 AM   #4
JLK

They will be shot at a regulation trap range. From the guns I’ve handled the Silver pigeon seems lighter. Don’t know if that’s a plus or minus .
I’m new to trap shooting. I just retired so it’s going to be a new sport
for me.
Old April 25, 2020, 09:53 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

If you plan on shooting Trap, remember that light weight isn't always a good thing there. You'll notice the recoil more if you shoot much, and there isn't a lot of gun swing in trap like there is in Sporting Clays. Subtle differences, but real. Most Trap shooters prefer a bit heavier gun for extended shooting sessions. Clays shooters like something heavy enough to keep a sustained swing, but not too heavy to prevent a little "liveliness" in the gun. I'd suggest you rephrase the question and direct it to Trap shooters rather than just a general audience. Better yet, visit some trap fields and see what people are using. Most places/shooters love to let you try their gun and they'll talk your ear off explaining what makes a "good" trap gun. Don't rush into anything. They aren't cheap.
Old April 25, 2020, 10:57 AM   #6
JLK

I have visited the local trap range, most seem to be using the Beretta.
The local shotgun expert does a lot of custom fit shotgun sell the Beretta.
The custom stuff is out of my price range .
They have trap skeet and sporting clay at the range. I figured I’d start on
Trap.
Old April 25, 2020, 12:33 PM   #7
eastbank

i have brownings, and they fit me better than the berttas do, that said a good friend shoots a SP beretta and we shoot just about the same. try different shotguns to find the that works for you.
Old April 25, 2020, 04:28 PM   #8
FITASC

Shoot them both and see which one fits you the best. Both guns are comparable in fit, finish and quality; HOWEVER, their stock dimensions are different thus the old adage if the Browning fits you, odds are the Beretta won't (and vice versa). Also, make sure you are comparing comparable models (i.e., not a field gun versus a target gun from the other maker). Both, in trap form, should be close to 9#.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 25, 2020, 07:31 PM   #9
stuckinthe60s

what model citori are you looking at?
Old April 25, 2020, 10:48 PM   #10
Blindstitch

Handle them both and see what you like. I went Citori. Although I wouldn't mind adding a Beretta. I also found a really really good deal.
Old April 26, 2020, 07:30 AM   #11
Ricklin

Different fit

I'll echo FITASC here. Both are excellent guns and well respected.

Very likely one or the other will fit best. Unless you are superman you will shoot higher scores with a better fitting gun.

Since you are a new guy to the sport, shotguns are pointed, not aimed. Thus gun fit is critical to hitting what you are shooting at.
Old April 26, 2020, 07:42 AM   #12
mxsailor803

Both are very good options. I would say the Citori though. I preferred the extra so it forces me to slow down my aiming for the lead. It’s a super minor thing but the I do believe I could learn to adapt to the Beretta and do the same thing. The Citori does fit me better though I haven’t handled either in probably 10-20 years roughly. At the range I went to, you would see everything for 1100’s, Franchi’s, Browning’s, and even one old guy that was super hard to beat with a Winchester Model 12.
Old April 26, 2020, 08:19 AM   #13
Jim Watson

Quote:
Trap.
I think that is smart. A lot of people jump into Sporting Clays and I fear they are getting disappointed with few hits on the widely varying presentations. Col. Chas Askins said he could teach somebody the rudiments of Trap quicker, but he could train a good Skeet shooter sooner overall. Either way, if you can hit both the standardized targets you will have a head start on SC.
If you plan to do that, a Sporting gun with adjustable stock and screw chokes might be the way to go.

Me? I was a fair Trap shooter with plinking grade Skeet and occasional Five Stand.

Consider the automatic. A gas operated auto will cushion the recoil. I shot Trap singles and handicap with an 1100, the OU only came out for doubles. I shot Skeet with a field grade OU with Skeet choke tubes but I loaded 20 ga equivalent shells for it.
Old April 26, 2020, 10:42 AM   #14
muzzleblast...

Beretta, Browning, Winchester, Remington, Perazzi, etc. ...is fundamentally, absolutely irrelevant.

The ONLY thing that matters is whether the design of the stock fits YOU, or not.

I have tried many and find the 1980s Browning Citori well to my liking. YMMV.
Old April 26, 2020, 01:18 PM   #15
kymasabe

I shot trap years ago, sold my Citori because I shot better with my Remington Wingmaster, which terribly disappointed alot of the traditional trap shooters at my range. Most of them were shooting Krieghoffs and tolerated my Citori but despised the Remington.
That being said...I found the Citori to be a beatifully balanced gun, easy to shoulder, excellent fit and finish and perfectly reliable, just didn't fit me well enough to shoot it well. Find what fits you best and what you shoot best, regardless of brand, model, or function.
Old April 26, 2020, 04:37 PM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
Trap.
I think that is smart. A lot of people jump into Sporting Clays and I fear they are getting disappointed with few hits on the widely varying presentations. Col. Chas Askins said he could teach somebody the rudiments of Trap quicker, but he could train a good Skeet shooter sooner overall. Either way, if you can hit both the standardized targets you will have a head start on SC.
If you plan to do that, a Sporting gun with adjustable stock and screw chokes might be the way to go.

Me? I was a fair Trap shooter with plinking grade Skeet and occasional Five Stand.

Consider the automatic. A gas operated auto will cushion the recoil. I shot Trap singles and handicap with an 1100, the OU only came out for doubles. I shot Skeet with a field grade OU with Skeet choke tubes but I loaded 20 ga equivalent shells for it.
The easiest to learn is skeet because it NEVER varies; starting a new shooter in station 7, then to 1 and slowly back and forth until you get to 4 in the center is repeatable and easy to train. trap - with its oscillating release, not so much; and sporting where nothing is ever the same, make for the most challenge (and fun). That said, someone who learns skeet very well will have an easier time transitioning to sporting versus someone from trap
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 27, 2020, 08:01 AM   #17
stuckinthe60s

jlk...

i own a range. i teach.

i see more shapes and sizes of humans in these sports than the average man.

i have put more shooters in the browning crossover/csx platform than any other gun.
the beretta 680 series comes next.

the browning fits more people than most. why? the citori concept has been around a long time and has been tweeked by browning to meet the needs of the clay shooting population. (yes, with profit in mind) but it worked.

so its not just for the value, but good dimensions of the brwoning that id recommend it for you.

now know you...we are all poking at this.
so, are you tall short fat thin old young feeble or well built? got good or bad eyes? lefty or righty?

if we knew that....it might help.
Old April 27, 2020, 10:38 AM   #18
pete2

There are "Sporting" guns. My 725 Sporting is a little heavier than a 725 Field gun but lighter than a Trap gun. The stock on a Sporting gun is more like a field stock than a Trap stock. The trap stock is higher and straighter than a field/sporting stock. I would suggest the Sporting version(Citori or Beretta, which ever you like) unless you are buying a gun for trap only. I do like the 725 Sporting, I shoot Skeet and Sporting more than trap but, I do fairly well at trap with it. I have an 870 Trap and an 1187 Trap guns, I'd rather shoot the 725. I like Skeet and Sporting Clays much more than Trap. The lighter field guns beat on you more than the Trap or Sporting. The semi auto guns are more gentle on your shoulder than the O/U guns.
Old May 1, 2020, 04:00 PM   #19
joegator

Its the Ford vs. Chevy discussion. Either one is a great choice. I have the SP and am very happy with the workmanship, fit, and finish. I also prefer an oiled stock.

Recoil is something to consider with high volume shooting. I had a White Wing and it was only comfortable to shoot with ultra lite AA loads.

Avoid the temptation to buy a sub $1,500 O/U as you get what you pay for.

For now the SP is my everything gun. Down the road I'm looking at a Browning BT-99 for dedicated trap.
Old May 1, 2020, 06:49 PM   #20
Rob228

I've owned both, I still own the Beretta, but that was purely personal preference and deciding I needed to trade the Citori for a 1911. They are both great guns. If you are going to get it fitted to you, fit out of the box is mostly irrelevant, get the one that you like better. If a professional fitting is not in your future get the one that fits you best.
Old May 1, 2020, 08:53 PM   #21
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Have owned both---the Beretta stock is a little long for me and the standard Citori is just a pig.

But have recently picked up a used 91 manufacture Citori---that maybe had a box of shells through it---the dealer had it listed as a Superlight but in my research I think is actually an Upland Special-------2.75in chambers--24in barrels--English style straight stock and Schnabel (sp??) forend.

It's light and fast and handles like a dream---the overall length is actually shorter than my 21in Benelli M2(another sweet handling gun BTW).

I guess what I'm saying is look around for the model that suits you best and it might not be the standard model offered.
-------Metallica
Old May 2, 2020, 06:39 AM   #22
JLK

I got a great deal on a Citori, too good to pass up. So far after taking a lesson I am doing pretty good with it. I’ll rent a Beretta some time and see how it compares but for now I’m set.
I’ve only tried trap with it it has a 28 inch barrel.
I want to try skeet next.
Thanks