The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 25, 2020, 03:38 PM   #1
dajowi

Auto-sear on a handgun

Anyone ever hear of an auto-sear installed on a pistol making it a submachine pistol?
Old July 25, 2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Yes. There is a replacement cover plate (with some additions) that turns a Glock pistol into a selective fire full auto.

A push button type selector on the rear of the slide selects semi or full. Installed on a G17, push the button and its in effect a G18
Old July 25, 2020, 04:10 PM   #3
FITASC

Beretta had one as well with a small folding front grip
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 25, 2020, 04:33 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Quote:
Beretta had one as well with a small folding front grip
Thats true. A number of companies have made full auto versions of their pistols. HK, Colt, Glock, Beretta to name a few. I took the OP to mean non-OEM modifications.
Old July 25, 2020, 09:04 PM   #5
Machineguntony

Here’s an article on it...

Any semi auto pistol can be made full auto quite easily with the requisite knowledge and tooling via lightening link principle. I know a few 07/02 FFL/SOTs who do it.

Making it select-fire is much more complicated...or it can be very easy if you don’t mind ATF kicking down your door at 5am.

Last edited by Machineguntony; July 26, 2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 26, 2020, 06:28 AM   #6
armoredman

This MAY be related to the Fox article about three arrested in Chicago for federal firearms violations. It was noted "...the firearm was equipped with an auto-sear device, or “switch,” allowing the gun to fire more than one shot without manually reloading.."
https://www.foxnews.com/us/three-men...ts-to-the-city
Old July 26, 2020, 03:21 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
"...the firearm was equipped with an auto-sear device, or “switch,” allowing the gun to fire more than one shot without manually reloading.."
Either this is incorrectly reported or the agent who is the source of the information is an idiot. Probably both.

to my way of thinking, every repeating pistol, has a "switch" that allows more than one shot without manually reloading, its called the TRIGGER!!!

Are these people really that stupid? Or do they just think we are??
Old July 30, 2020, 10:29 AM   #8
SIGSHR

Probably referring to a selector switch.
Old August 1, 2020, 12:47 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

yes, they are probably referring to a selector switch, BUT, they are using terms incorrectly AND adding a completely bogus "definition".

An "auto sear" is NOT a selector switch. It maybe a part in the fire control group necessary for full auto fire, but its not the switch itself in any design I am familiar with, and some select fire guns don't even have an "auto sear".

but even worse is this...
Quote:
allowing the gun to fire more than one shot without manually reloading..
Just what is that supposed to mean? That's the gun is a repeater, holding more than one round of ammo?? Or that the gun is a semi auto, so it doesn't require manual operation of the action to reload the chamber??

Probably the latter, though I also get the impression that they are implying that "more than one shot without manually reloading" is a bad thing, as well.