The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2020, 12:49 AM   #1
denvernoob

Clays with Kids

I always respect this forums feedback, thanks in advance for replies.

My son in ten, he's been hunting with me for at least 4 years as the bird dog. He loves hunting, and wanted to shoot doves this year on our annual dove hunt in Texas. Myself, I started shooting shotguns at 12. He's young, but his eagerness, and perhaps my own, lead to him getting a Steven's 301 single shot 20 ga. I paired this with Fiocchi low recoil shells.

We have been simply going to the low house on a skeet course and shooting the outgoing bird. He's been shooting (50) shells an outing. At first things started off real good. His first time out he shot (4) clays. Second time he hits (12). I'm thinking great! He loved going, he also handles the gun well, the recoil is not a problem with the training loads, and he is confident. The third time out I bring Grandma and Grandpa... he can't hit a single clay. I figure I added too much pressure with the grandparents, big mistake!

Today was trip #4. No grandparents, but he's not excited to go. We go anyway, and the result is the same. He can't hit a bird, and he doesn't want to be there.

Thoughts on the next step? Too young? While I'm tempted to shelf this experiment for at least another year, I'm worried that's not the right approach either. I feel this needs to end on a high note to regain that enthusiasm he started with.
Old June 22, 2020, 07:01 AM   #2
stuckinthe60s

at that age, good performance must be rewarded.
btw...I do this for a living.
take it to heart!:>

give him goals.
hit 5, i'll let you.......
hit 10 i'll give you.....
hit X for a wekk total and i'll......

follow me?
be creative.

I have an 11 year old at my range who is a natural. he can shoot 22-23 with a 20ga browning cynergy.
he keeps coming back because I told him I'd give him a silver dollar if he went 25.
I flip it in front of him and lay it on the counter when he goes out.
(see...you create a desire.)
then he aims for it.
soon hes gonna get it.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old June 22, 2020, 09:23 AM   #3
FITASC

I suspect that gun is beating him up; at first he wanted to do things with dad and put up with it. I suspect now, however, he is not liking it. Failure breeds more dislike. Do you have some experienced folks where you shoot who can give him some pointers and perhaps help with fit (while dad sits in the clubhouse and has a cup of coffee?)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 27, 2020, 11:45 AM   #4
mxsailor803

As FIT has stated, I’m thinking the gun is beating him up and he’s anticipating the recoil. Shotgun shooting does require some technique. If you know someone with a .410 single shot, give that a try. I started on a H&R .410 when I was about 6 and by 10 was using a Remington 1100 20ga. The 1100 is a great option if he has the build to handle the weight. I used that same gun until I was about 15 and stepped up to a 1100 12ga. That’s what I’m still using to this day.
Old June 27, 2020, 12:35 PM   #5
FITASC

I just came back from shooting some practice sporting clays. My Beretta needed adjustments in the comb to get it to stop beating me up, and while not 100% perfect, I can make through a tournament with cheek slap or bruising.

OP, when your kid is shooting, is he leaning into the shot or is the gun forcing him to lean slightly backwards? (We see that a lot with younger/smaller kids and ladies)
Are you absolutely sure he is shooting from the side of his dominant eye? (what hand he writes with does not guarantee which eye is dominant) Remember, kids' eyes can change dominance as they grow.

I would look into seeing if they have a beginners/kids age group where instruction is done and by someone else than a parent. I remember coaching my kids in soccer and baseball; I'd tell them something and they would argue about what "coach" said......sometimes that "third party" works well; I KNOW it does with female shooters who are being "taught" by their boyfriend/husband
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa