The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2020, 12:55 PM   #76
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
Steel cased ammo is reloadable too, albeit most(if not all) is berdan primed.
I've got enough brass cases to last me to worry about trying to reload steel.
Old August 2, 2020, 10:55 PM   #77
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228:
Well that is like choosing between a scrapple or head cheese sandwich.
I like scrapple, particularly Amish/Penna. Dutch style, just don’t ask how it’s made!
Old August 2, 2020, 11:26 PM   #78
Ignition Override

Groundhog34:
It would help if your title had included the ammo brand name.
Many of us know Exactly why you were Able to find that 9mm ammo.

It must be the "Forged" brand, and Forged was by Far the most unreliable ammo--except for fairly weak .22LR--I've ever put in a gun.

I've never seen any type of centerfire ammo so constantly weird and unreliable, whether handgun or rifle (and even shaky POF .303 'Brit.' was better).

You know 'MAC' on the Military Arms Channel? "Forged" caused the first issues in several of his quality 9mm handguns.

Forged makes the .40 S&W Tula brand (in my Sig P229) look like a premium product.
Old August 3, 2020, 07:42 AM   #79
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
I like scrapple, particularly Amish/Penna. Dutch style, just don’t ask how it’s made!
Old August 3, 2020, 04:38 PM   #80
Rangerrich99

I had a bad experience with steel cased rifle ammo about 10 years ago and told myself I was never going to shoot steel case ever again.

Fast forward to 2013. Ammo was difficult to find for obvious reasons and I was a bit low of reloading materials for 9mm. So in a bit of desperation I bought a case of steel cased 9mm from Wolf (WPA Polyformance). Long story short, it ran flawlessly through all of my 9s, which included a S&W Shield, S&W M&P9 1.0, Glock 19, Ruger LC9S Pro.

To this point, I've run more than 10,000 rds of steel cased ammo through my various 9s, and still have yet to have a serious or consistent malfunction. The Shield has never malfunctioned firing steel, and neither has either of my M&P9s or the Glock. The LC9 has had 1, out of more than 1,000 rds fired, and hasn't had one in over 500 rds. The Ruger 1911 9mm has had three, but I'm pretty sure that at least two of those (if not all three) were related to the magazine (10-rd mag).

As for accuracy, at "defensive" distances, out to 15 yards let's say, I'm not seeing a significant difference in my guns. Just a year ago I split a playing card at 7 yards shooting steel cased ammo on my 2nd shot. in other words, I'm seeing steel cased bullets hit where I aim them, pretty much exactly like brass cased ones. At least through 10,000+ rds so far.

Anyway, after some experimentation, I decided to buy only steel cased ammo for my 9s, which made a little room in my budget to buy more projectiles for my reloading stash. So now I have plenty of lead for reloading 9 until this panic subsides, i still have plenty of steel-cased rounds to go thru before I have to start reloading, and I haven't had to collect any 9mm brass in a couple years. Win win win.
Old August 3, 2020, 07:09 PM   #81
dogtown tom

Remember the good old days of 2008?

Anyone remember when it wasn't OMG! OMG! STEEL CASE! and just good 'ol ranting about Blazer aluminum case?

Ammunition so bad for your gun that Glock included a fired Blazer case with every gun just so you would know what to look out for.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 4, 2020, 03:44 AM   #82
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I've got enough brass cases to last me to worry about trying to reload steel.
That's good to have there Hawg, but with the 'run' on all things gun and ammo related(reloading supplies included) folks should know that steel cases will work in a pinch/bind reloading wise.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old August 7, 2020, 07:00 PM   #83
Black Wolf

I just shelved a pistol because it won't run with steel. To be in "rotation", a pistol has to reliably function with ANY ammo i feed it. Not saying I wouldn't play with a range toy BUT, if it is a picky eater, I don't consider it a fighter.

I reload..... sometimes. To be honest I don't find it that enjoyable, id much rather burn ammo and I hate scrounging around for brass. I have a mountain of brass but still can not force myself to walk away from brass i ejected. So..... need it or not, i have to pick it up. When I shoot steel, it is care free, leave that crap everywhere and move on. If i go back to a revolver, I will go back to reloading.... and brass.
Old August 7, 2020, 11:05 PM   #84
JDBerg

I waited 20 minutes to get into an LGS today, since due to COVID, they are restricting the number of people in the store at one time, and once I got inside, the only 9mm they had was Tula steelcase ammo selling for (get ready) $18.99 for a 50 rd. box! I’ve seen a few crazy ammo shortages in the past, but nothing like this. How much worse can it get?
Old August 7, 2020, 11:24 PM   #85
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
I waited 20 minutes to get into an LGS today, since due to COVID, they are restricting the number of people in the store at one time, and once I got inside, the only 9mm they had was Tula steelcase ammo selling for (get ready) $18.99 for a 50 rd. box! I’ve seen a few crazy ammo shortages in the past, but nothing like this. How much worse can it get?

I honestly don’t think it’s going to get any better through at least the end of the year. I have a local guy who has been getting in Speer Lawman 124gr and selling it at $14. I buy all I can when he gets it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 7, 2020, 11:44 PM   #86
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat:
I honestly don’t think it’s going to get any better through at least the end of the year. I have a local guy who has been getting in Speer Lawman 124gr and selling it at $14. I buy all I can when he gets it in.
You might be right that the situation won’t improve until later this or early next year. I can still get Blazer Brass for $14.99 at the LGR I go to. And I still have ammo stashed away that I’m using and I probably have a few months worth left. I’m not buying Tula steelcase at any price, and I don’t plan on going back to that place anytime soon.
Old August 8, 2020, 09:39 AM   #87
Seven High

Ranger rich 99. Did you notice any difference of the steel case 9 ammo that you bought recently from the ammo that you bought 10 years ago. What changed, if anything?
Old August 8, 2020, 11:47 AM   #88
mr bolo

Quote:

JDBERG

back in around 2012 ammo shortage, Winchester 9mm 115 gr fmj was $40.00 a box at the gun show / gun shop if you could find any

I didnt see anybody buying it though, thats the price marked on the box

Winchester 100 rd value packs in .45 auto were priced at $89.99 a box
Old August 8, 2020, 01:25 PM   #89
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Can I ask a question from an affirmed idea earlier?

Why would steel cased handgun ammo give LESS accuracy? I'm assuming Winchester is loading the same FMJ round into the steel case...so how does the case change accuracy?
That isn't always the case (hehe). I have personally shot brass cased ammo that was less accurate than steel (in MY particular pistol). There are more factors, than casing, to accuracy of ammo. I think the logic is - if they're cutting corners on something as basic as the case, they're probably not going "all out" in ANY other area of the manufacturing process.

Edit- I have NOT done a side by side with steel/brass from the SAME mfg. My comparison was Tula (a fave of mine) vs Federal. It was the result of a friend and I printing identical groups, while i am noticeably better with a handgun than he is (he is better than me with a rifle). We were both shooting Federal (the cheap range ammo variant). I realized we were both at the max capability of the round, switched back to Tula and tightened my group up to what it should look like.

I would love to see (or do) a side by side Winchester steel/brass and highly doubt there would be ANY difference in accuracy.

Last edited by Black Wolf; August 8, 2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old August 11, 2020, 11:18 PM   #90
SwissArmyTenor

I just shot some steel case for the first time. Worked great in my Beretta PX4 and Taurus G2C, but in my CZ the 2nd round I fired out of it saw the case get stuck in the barrel (needed to punch it out with a rod). I've heard others say their CZs don't like steel.
Old August 12, 2020, 10:37 PM   #91
JohnKSa
Staff

I've read CZs don't like anything but brass cases. I haven't shot steel through mine, but I have shot aluminum cased ammo through it and it will bobble maybe once or twice a box with aluminum fodder but so far, never with brass cased ammo.
Old August 12, 2020, 11:25 PM   #92
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven High View Post
Ranger rich 99. Did you notice any difference of the steel case 9 ammo that you bought recently from the ammo that you bought 10 years ago. What changed, if anything?
Well, let's see. Shot some of Wolf Polyformance steel last weekend. Seemed just fine. But I did have my very first malfunction in my Shield shooting that stuff. I've put over 2,000 rds of Wolf through my Shield without a single malfunction until last Saturday. It was a type 3, empty case somehow stayed in the gun but not in the chamber, and interfered with the next round loading.

However, that case of ammo was bought a couple years ago, at least. The newer stuff, the most recent Wolf that I've bought was back in Sept. 2019. Not near opening that box yet.

I cleared it, then fired another 28 rounds before calling it a day.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; August 13, 2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old August 13, 2020, 12:42 AM   #93
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo:
back in around 2012 ammo shortage, Winchester 9mm 115 gr fmj was $40.00 a box at the gun show / gun shop if you could find any. I didnt see anybody buying it though, thats the price marked on the box. Winchester 100 rd value packs in .45 auto were priced at $89.99 a box
I’m still using the ammo I have stashed. I made a reservation to go to the local range on Saturday and I plan on buying ammo they have on hand. Two box limit per range visit, but I’ll stash whatever ammo I get. I may have to cut down on the number of rounds I can shoot during my range sessions but I plan to keep shooting as often as possible.
Old August 13, 2020, 04:30 PM   #94
wmg1299

After running into so many empty shelves, I broke down and ordered some Wolf WPA in 9mm. I have heard some good things about Barnaul, but I haven't been able to find it in stock anywhere in pistol calibers. I will probably put the Wolf at the back of my stash for when/if I run low. Steel definitely isn't my first choice, but I'd rather have some steel case on hand than nothing.
Old August 13, 2020, 10:08 PM   #95
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299:
Steel definitely isn't my first choice, but I'd rather have some steel case on hand than nothing.
Agree 100% with this comment
Old August 13, 2020, 11:03 PM   #96
44 AMP
Staff

If you shoot up all your ammo in "practice" who's fault is that??

Being a dedicated reloader, I have no use for steel cased ammo, and while I understand the appeal of lower cost, I will spend a little more for reloadable brass.

And, since I have a couple thousand cases in my stash, I don't need steel, even if its the only thing on the shelf.