The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 16, 2016, 02:11 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

By the time a receiver gets to a customers hand it has been transferred at least once previously, from the manufacturer to the FFL. Often it also goes through a distributor and sometimes a second FFL. All those transfers involve documentation of what the receiver "is".

If the manufacturer sends it out the door as an "other", I believe "other" is the actual classification but I may be wrong, and everyone along the line makes the transfer as such, it can be made into either. If the manufacturer transfers it as a rifle or anyone along the line does so, it is a rifle.

I've never been a manufacturer or worked for one, but it is my understanding the process for registering a rifle and a pistol is slightly different with the pistol registration being slightly more time consuming or costly. The manufacturer has to make some sort of decision before they send it out the door. There is a paper trail the whole way.

I would be very surprised if there aren't a whole lot of pistols made on rifle receivers out there. Just like there are a whole lot of SKS rifles that have been converted to non-sporting configurations without meeting 922(R) requirements.

There is a thread on ar15.com where iNeXile556 took the time to post all the relevant laws concerning pistol barrel length:
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...f=122&t=517803
Length of a pistol barrel is not limited by law and neither is OAL. There are rifle minimums, but not pistol maximums.

As far as manufacturers changing names and designs slightly, my guess is that is to circumvent restrictions. Concerns about things like CA deciding the charger is illegal in CA, so Ruger can't import 10/22 rifles either.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 16, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old February 9, 2016, 12:11 AM   #27
gyvel

An answer to my question:

Quote:
BATFE response letters repository

Lets see if we can put together a large repository of ATFE letters. Would be an easy thing to reference in posts and when talking to people off the forum about these issues.
Loronzo posted a link to one yesterday, so I will start with his:

"Angled foregrips on pistols"
(Link is in post; you must go to the post in its original forum to open).

Unfortunately cutting and pasting the link doesn't work, nor does trying to cut and paste any text of the BAFTE letter.

This letter in NFA stickies pretty much says that a bare receiver can be made into a pistol with no payment of tax. Since they specifically listed an AR15 in the response as an example, it follows that any "rifle" receiver that left the factory as an unassembled and unbarreled item can be made into some kind of pistol, even though an "AR15" was originally "made" as a rifle. In fact, per this BATFE letter, it does not become a rifle until it is barreled and documented by the factory as a rifle.

Some of you responded, saying that the wording "assembled as a rifle" applied to an unbarreled receiver, quoting the wording of the regulations. However, it seems apparent that BATFE looks at a receiver as neither rifle or pistol IF it was originally obtained from the factory as such and never manufactured or barreled as a rifle.

Of course, documentation is required. As was also pointed out several times, BATFE isn't going "to take your word for it."
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; February 9, 2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old February 9, 2016, 10:54 PM   #28
raimius

It is not about the barrel!

The determinant between rifle and pistol is the stock. If it is not designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder, it is not a rifle. As stated earlier, you can have a pistol with a long barrel. You can also have a rifle with a short barrel (NFA title II rules there). The difference is the stock.
If I have a generic receiver and stick a 16.5in barrel on it...it is still a "firearm" rather than a rifle or pistol. If I take that same receiver, remove the barrel, and stick a stock on it, I have now made a rifle.
Old February 10, 2016, 01:29 PM   #29
gyvel

Quote:
It is not about the barrel!

The determinant between rifle and pistol is the stock. If it is not designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder, it is not a rifle. As stated earlier, you can have a pistol with a long barrel. You can also have a rifle with a short barrel (NFA title II rules there). The difference is the stock.
If I have a generic receiver and stick a 16.5in barrel on it...it is still a "firearm" rather than a rifle or pistol. If I take that same receiver, remove the barrel, and stick a stock on it, I have now made a rifle.
The example I had in mind when I made the OP was a Remington 700 receiver or similar. What brought it to mind was Frank de Haas talking about the availability of unbarreled actions available at one time from the factories to use in custom builds in his book Bolt Action Rifles.

My take on it was that, since you can take an AR15 receiver (and now specifically confirmed by that BATFE letter), then you could do the same thing with a Remington 700 receiver, PROVIDED it was sold to you by the factory as a bare receiver AND you have all the docs needed to authenticate it.

I understand what you are saying about the barrel but, at that point it starts to slip into a gray area. Some the posters in this thread were (I believe) misinterpreting the wording in the BATF reg about "produced as a rifle. My contention was that, once the barrel was installed it was, in fact, "being produced as a rifle." However, your comments about pistol barrel lengths being irrelevant makes sense, since a barreled receiver would not become a rifle until stocked and specified by the maker as such.

At any rate, the BATFE letter about an "AR15" bare receiver being perfectly legal for making into a pistol pretty much infers that any bare receiver can be made into a non NFA pistol PROVIDED you have the original documentation that it was never anything other than bare receiver, regardless of what its model name is.
SIFE