The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 13, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1

The most reliable guns

This is not the typical how do I do this or that but I thought: What better group of guys could I ask about reliable guns than those in this Smitty Group?
Too, this could be very helpful to a lot of people.

Let me start this list with:

Winchester model 70 pre-64
Winchester model 94 pre-64
Winchester model 92 and Browning replica
Winchester model 86 and Browning replica
Winchester model 71 and Browning replica
Browning A5 semi-auto shotgun and Remington model 11 (Very similar)
Glock model 19 and other models

(There's a lot of reliable guns but these are those I have or know most about.)

What's your opinions and additions to this list? I can think of several more but I'll leave the rest to others. (Hopefully.)

Maybe I should have said: Extremely reliable. Actually, this is the only kind of gun I'm interested in and I'm sure many here feel the same.

Old June 13, 2011, 09:50 PM   #2
603Country

Of the listed rifles, I've had a pre-64 Winchester. It shot great and functioned perfectly, and the action was very very smooth. I finally sold it to buy a Sako. And I've had a Browning A5 and still do have a Remington Model 11. I had the Model 11 first and then decided I wanted the same action in a prettier shotgun, so I bought an A5. Decided I just preferred shooting the Model 11 so I sold the A5. The Model 11 has been ultra reliable for maybe 30 years of my ownership. I had a minor part break one time many years ago, but that's the only failure I ever had with it.
Old June 13, 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

All of those guns are reliable, but basically you are not listing guns that are reliable, you are listing guns YOU OWN that are reliable. I think a full list of reliable guns would be rather more extensive.

Maybe it would take less space to list guns that you have found unreliable.

Jim
Old June 13, 2011, 11:41 PM   #4
ripnbst

Remmy 870 Pump 12 gauge is an unfailing weapon. I've never in my life seen anyone have issues with one.
Old June 13, 2011, 11:49 PM   #5
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Remmy 870 Pump 12 gauge is an unfailing weapon. I've never in my life seen anyone have issues with one.
I bought a new Wingmaster that was such a POS that Remington eventually quit trying to fix it and gave me a new one...

I've owned five 870s, this one turned out to be a real t-u-r-d... I had a new 20 gauge Wingmaster that also had teething problems but those were eventually worked out...
Old June 14, 2011, 12:04 AM   #6
jmortimer

just Google "Remmington 870 and jamming" and you will see for current production, the express grade can be a jam-o-matic. A good bolt action is hard to beat in a rifle and a Freedom Arms revolver would be hard to beat in a hand gun.
Old June 14, 2011, 09:36 AM   #7

The most reliable guns

You'll note that several of the guns in my list were invented by John Browning.

To my knowledge the Browning BAR (not military) is the most reliable of the present day hunting type of semi-auto rifles. Kinda heavy, but.....

The Remington model 870 has been very popular with the police--and a whole bunch of other people. Believe it may be the biggest selling shotgun of all time. Perhaps recent version is not as reliable for some reason. They sell for a very reasonable price.

I don't want to discourage you guys with post-64 Winchester guns. To my knowledge they function very well, just don't have quite the quality. Actually the post-64 model 70s with controlled feed may be a better gun than the pre-64. They are both tops.

Too, Winchester doesn't have a monoply on great guns. Plenty of other great and reliable guns. Well...I just happen to be a "Winchester Guy."

Last edited by 270; June 14, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old June 14, 2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Clark

Quote:
ripnbst
I have seen a round stuck in the lifter of a Rem 870, and it was a mean jam to fix.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 15, 2011, 07:32 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

all can fail

A Glock 19 fed good ammo is normally extremely reliable and durable.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:31 PM   #10
BrittB

The only POS I've ever owned was a British .303 that was abused before I owned it. All the other guns I've ever owned were great guns but I always ask questions before I drop any cash. I do like my Winchesters though.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:15 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just for clarification, the modern Browning BAR sporting rifle was not designed by John Browning, who died in 1926.

Jim
Old June 16, 2011, 09:57 PM   #12
9mm

Quote:
I've owned five 870s, this one turned out to be a real t-u-r-d... I had a new 20 gauge Wingmaster that also had teething problems but those were eventually worked out...
Own two 870's no problems! IMO the 870's beat the mossy's 500, because the receivers are alum vs steel.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:33 AM   #13
meatgrinder42

I've had my 870 Wingmaster for 12 years (My dad bought me it as my first hunting gun when I was 12) and I've never had an issue with it. I keep it oiled and clean like your supposed to and she loads, fires, and ejects everything I can get my hands on.

My 1981 Argentine Mauser Carbine is just awesome, never had a missfire with it yet, shoots an inch down and to the left at 75 yards. She's a good old gun.

And lastly my 1943 Mfg. Model 12, you just can't break that thing!