The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2007, 01:16 PM   #1
John10

Scope mounts for Contender Any Suggestions..

No response on another venue.. thought we would try here....

Have a blued TC 14 inch 30-30 barrel with iron sights and an older blued TC 3RP scope. Would like to mount the scope to the barrel. Should I be looking for a single piece mount and separate rings… a one piece mount with integral rings… a detachable system… steel or aluminum …. What about Weaver 92A base....And/Or, Weaver Quad-lock 4x4 Rings ?? Have a limited budget which was already stretched in just purchasing the used barrel and the used scope.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by John10; August 27, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old August 27, 2007, 03:56 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

I'm not sure the best types, but a good place to start shopping for any and all things T/C is at e. arthur Brown:

www.eabco.com
Old August 27, 2007, 06:00 PM   #3
contender6030

John10,
I assume you are going to use the 16" barrel as a pistol config? It can be used as both a pistol and a rifle. You didn't say what caliber the barrel was. If it is a rimfire you would be safe using a weaver base and a set of Burris ZEE rings. If it is a centerfire caliber I reccomend Leupold, Burris or Refield Bases with the "twist in" dovetail rings. I have 12" hunter pistol barrels in 223, 45-70, 35 rem and 7-30 waters and use Leupold/Burris/Refd mts on all of them. For rifle scopes I use a redfield MT with the dovetail rings. The redfields have a wider distance between the rings than the leupold or the Burris setups.. I personally don't care for the weaver bases on Contender barrels because the others are so much stronger, but, like i said before, with a rimfire I don't think you would have anything to worry about. If you have any other questions just holler, I've been addicted to the darn things for about 15 years now!!!

P.S. Thompson made the TC3RP scope in two configurations. One you use reg rings and bases the other has a base "made onto" the tube of the scope. You can't use rings with the latter type scope, you will have to find the base that is made for this scope. BTW all these can be found used on Gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com or Ebay (god forbid) .

Shoot straight!
contender
Old August 29, 2007, 08:22 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

I am a fan of the leupold setup and the TC factory duoring for heavy recoiling calibers.
Take a look at EABCO.COM and SSk industries for scope mounts and rings.