The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 2, 2005, 11:55 AM   #1
JKump

Need help. 243. or .308 for deer

I currently have a NEF ultra light Handi rifle in .243. I hunted last year with it for Ga. Deer and did fine. ( 5 killed). Now I have an opportunity to trade it even for a NEF Handi rifle in .308 (NEF survivor w/bull barrel). I know I could get extra barrel for the rifle, but season is in and I don't want to be with out rifle. Should I make the trade? The rifle will be used deer hunting and possibly on hogs. Any help is appreciated.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old November 2, 2005, 03:58 PM   #2
john in jax

I replied to your post over in the rifle forum that the heavier .308 bullets yield better penetration making it a better rifle for big hogs an larger game. I have since gone to the H&R website and looked at that survivor .308 handi-rifle. I like the bull bbl .308 but I'm not sure I care for the stock. Before you make the trade make sure it fits well and feels good - if possible shoot it.
Old November 2, 2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Harley Quinn

I believe the 308 is a better all around cartridge

I think the choice is yours, if you like the looks and it is acceptable I would go for the 308. It is going to kick more.

Harley
Old November 2, 2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Hello123

I would prefer the .308 for your application.
Old November 2, 2005, 08:11 PM   #5
impact

I think ether way you go is ok. The 308 would be better for hogs. One thing you might want to think about is carring the bull barrel gun in the woods. They look cool but thats about it. I walked this 550 acre ranch one night with a 223 savage bull barrel gun calling for coyotes. That gun was a pain to carry. never again.
Old November 2, 2005, 10:55 PM   #6
shureshot0471

both are fine the .308 if you want to shoot marksalots out of it the ammo is more expensive for it the .243 is all around a straight gun it is one of the best deer guns on the market and will drop hogs at 300+ yards choice is all that matters but if it were me I would stick with the .243 I really like it
Old November 3, 2005, 01:40 AM   #7
guntotin_fool

Here the cost of 243 and 308 are identical for the same bullet class. ie. generic corelokt vs generic corelokt, failsafe vs failsafe. same price. i just question the handirifle, I would look to upgrade the whole package and go to a 110 Savage or a 700 ADL remington.

just my two cents
Old November 3, 2005, 07:13 AM   #8
Windjammer

guntotin

Quote:
I would look to upgrade the whole package and go to a 110 Savage or a 700 ADL Remington.
I'm curious, have you had a bad experience with the Handi-Rifle? My kids use one in .243 youth model ( its a sweet little gun) and I'm thinking about buying one for myself in 7mm-08.
Old November 3, 2005, 07:48 AM   #9
JKump

I like the idea of hunting with a single shot rifle. For the money the Handi works fine. I could spend hundreds more and get a Encore contender, But is it really that much better? I could get extra barrels for the Handi (out of season, you have to send the rifle to factory for barrels). The Handi has proven accurate for me, it has brought home the Bacon (Vension really last year).

Old November 3, 2005, 08:12 AM   #10
Windjammer

Jkump

The Handi-Rifle is a great concept.

I like it for beginning hunters for two reasons.

1.) It teaches make the first shot count
2.) After the shot I do not have to worry be a second accidental shot.

For me its a affordable working gun. I have a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 and a Kimber .308. They stay in the gun case 99.99% of the time ( they are too nice looking to hunt with - IMHO)

For an appox. Total of $235.00 ( $200 for the gun and $35.00 for a trigger job) I have a gun that will do anything I need. I keep my shots in my comfort zone of 200yds or less and I do not need a second shot.
Old November 7, 2005, 08:28 AM   #11
JKump

Just an up date, I did get the 308. The reasons being that friday (11-04-05) I shot 3 deer, 1st was shot at 15 yards, I followed the blood trail over 100yards thru the woods and over a creek, the 2nd was shot at 45 yards and was dropped right there, and the 3rd shot at 120 yards, ran off and was unable to locate. I decieded I needed a little more knock down power.

Old November 7, 2005, 08:51 AM   #12
Windjammer

ConGats, on the .308 it a fine all around cartridge. But You know you opened up a whole new can of worms about " Knock Down Power"

Now you can send the 243 off and get a .500 S&W barrel.
Old November 14, 2005, 09:49 PM   #13
kirbymagnum

did you shoot it in the a** or was it a 500 pounder when my dad shot a buck at 300yrds it went about 40yrds into the bush and when i shot myn at 100 it droped right there. But the 308 is a good choice
Old November 14, 2005, 10:47 PM   #14
impact

KJump shot placement is every thing. I could have taken the same deer with a 222 with 100% kills. Just something to think about.
Old November 15, 2005, 11:39 AM   #15
Harley Quinn

Kjump, if I were you I would practice with that new

caliber quite a bit before going out again.

Generally the good shots and better hunters go for the single shot and placement is the thing. I believe one of the reasons 243 is a little light for the bigger deer is that all the shots are not perfect and many will shoot when they should not.

1 out of 3 is not a good start. Where (the body, head, neck) were you shooting the deer at the time of the hunt, where did you hit the one that dropped? What was your last sight picture when you pulled the trigger?
Shot placement is the key as has been stated.

Deer for the most part are best shot in the Heart and Lungs, they will not go far, that is a large area and easily hit. But if you are to far back it is a stomach shot and they will travel far and die later. You are feeding the coyotes and buzzards. Not a good start. If everyone had that kind of luck the area will be shot out.

Just my thoughts.

Harley
Old November 16, 2005, 02:21 PM   #16
JKump

I guess you did not read the post. I recovered two of the three deer. All shots where placed just behind the shoulder (heart and lungs, one deer had part of the lung hanging out the side, but still managed to run over 100 yards thru the woods). The 3rd deer that was not recovered was hit just behind the shoulder but ran out of the field into cover and out of sight. As the shot was taking just before sunset 1745 (545 pm) we was unable to find the deer, little if not any bloodtrail. The 243 (which I like) was not getting the job done as far as anchoring the deer. The 308 uses a heavier bullet which should produce more energy down range and should anchor the deer better.

Old November 16, 2005, 04:20 PM   #17
kirbymagnum

how far are you shooting?
Old November 16, 2005, 04:35 PM   #18
JKump

I hunt mornings in the woods (open pines with hard woods) longest shot possible maybe 75 yards. In the evenings I hunt fields (longets shot that I would take is 200 yards, however, fields is close to 400 yards). As stated before the deer I took in the morning was at 15 yards, I used a Winchester 95 gr. Ballistic silver tip, hit the deer just behind the shoulder blade, this deer ran over 100 yards thru the woods (finally dropped after jumping creek), when found part of lung was hanging out the exit wound. The second deer was shot inthe evening at 45 yards with Hornady 100gr Light mags BTSP. This deer was also hit in the shoulder but dropped right there (no complaint). The next deer was the same day just before dark (545 pm), this deer was also hit with the Hornady light Mag 100 gr. BTSP, however, after hit jumped straight up and ran out of my sight (the field is like a T) this deer was hit at 125 yards give or take. Lost this one, almost no blood trail and darkness.

Old November 22, 2005, 02:27 AM   #19
formerflyer

Harley, I must have missed something:

"Generally the good shots and better hunters go for the single shot and placement is the thing." Harley Quinn

I'm not entirely unskilled when it comes to hunting OR shooting. I've taken some pretty respectable trophy's on 3 continents, and won a couple dozen shooting competitions. I wouldn't pay money to buy a single shot rifle for hunting on a bet, and wouldn't use one unless there was no other option. This is a personal preference, and has nothing to do with skill at either hunting or shooting. I PREFER a rifle that I can reload quickly for follow-up shots. I don't know many great shots or great hunters that PREFER single shots. I know a lot of people that have a preferred type of firearm, and will make excuses to use it when something else might make more sense.

You are right, though, that placement is THE THING. "Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery. All else is twaddle!"

Just my two cents worth.

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.
Old November 22, 2005, 07:30 AM   #20
Windjammer

Help,

how do I delete this message
Old November 22, 2005, 07:35 AM   #21
Windjammer

Formerflyer,

I think you misunderstood Harley's statement,
He said

"Generally the good shots and better hunters go for the single shot and placement is the thing" Single shot referring to accurate shot placement from any type of firearm, to the vital area of the target. IE the one shot kill.

He did not say:

"Generally the good shots and better hunters go for the single shot Rifle and placement is the thing" or anything about type of firearm

There are many types for firearms, I enjoy shooting all of them. My rifle favorite to hunt with is level action, then single shot, then bolt action. I also hunt with revolvers, shoot pistol matches with auto's.
I think Harley's point is no matter what you hunt with a good/confident hunter knows when to take the shot and when not to, and one shot should be all thats normaly required
If I'm wrong I'm sure Harley will set me on a straighter path.
Old November 22, 2005, 08:43 PM   #22
fisherman66

Quote:
I'm not entirely unskilled when it comes to hunting OR shooting. I've taken some pretty respectable trophy's on 3 continents, and won a couple dozen shooting competitions. I wouldn't pay money to buy a single shot rifle for hunting on a bet, and wouldn't use one unless there was no other option. This is a personal preference, and has nothing to do with skill at either hunting or shooting. I PREFER a rifle that I can reload quickly for follow-up shots. I don't know many great shots or great hunters that PREFER single shots.
I'm not entirely unskilled either, but I do prefer the single shot (falling block.)
My father-in-law has a resume that mirrors (or exceeded) yours and also prefers falling blocks. Don't confuse your dislike for the general consensus.